What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v Australia @ DW Stadium, Wigan

England v Australia; Who will win (or draw)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I start this mostly in the interests of discussing team changes, in particular for Australia.

OUT:
Gallen
Hodges
Gidley

IN:
Hindmarsh
J Morris
Farah

Thoughts?

Nook

Bench
Gidley is a joke at this level - at any representative level for that matter. We would be much better off with Farah or Jennings coming on, even just in that 'Kurt Gidley fresh legs run around frantically but don't do anything' role.

I thought most of our backrowers were pretty average, wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes there.

Ridders

Coach
I thought Gallen was decent tbh, his thuggish behaviour aside.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hindmarsh coming in though.

Well, this is it for England. The game of their lives.

Win it and Australia are out. Imagine that - an international rugby league final without Australia in it.

England need to put everything on the line for this game. No game in the last generation has been as important as this one. If there is any skill within the England ranks, if there is any pride in the England jersey, this must be a game that they win.

Can they do it?

No.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Anyway, from an England POV I would go,

1. Smith
2. Fox
3. Bridge
4. Ellis
5. Hall
6. Tompkins
7. McGuire
8. Graham
9. Roby
10. Peacock
11. Burgess
12. Westwood
13. Sinfield

14. Eastmond
15. Carvell
16. Morley
17. Crabtree

The backs need a shakeup because Friday just wasnt good enough. Load the bench with big men also because to have any chance of coming close we need to win the forward battle. I think Bridge should come in for Shenton and Ellis should go to the other 3/4. Ellis mainly there to keep an Eye on the freak that is Greg Inglis. He will destroy any other centre we have. Smith at Full back as thats his best position.

Timmah

Staff member
Is Myler out? Haven't heard anything since the game sorry.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Dont think so, I just wouldnt pick him. Tompkins is an exiting player who can create something out of nothing and McGuire is a better half than a 5/8 IMO.

Timmah

Staff member
Myler was close to MOTM the other night. You've got bricks in your head if you think they'll drop him.

user_nat

Coach
Games not finished on TV here yet, but I wouldn't mind seeing Hindmarsh come in for either Waterhouse or Gallen. Or really any of the forwards.
Need a better tackler.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Myler was close to MOTM the other night. You've got bricks in your head if you think they'll drop him.

Mate, saying Myler was nearly MoM the other night is kinda like saying England arent that bad as they're the 3rd best in the world. No one played well. Myler didnt show much apart from f***ing up with ball in hand and managing to beat 3 weak tackles to score.

Tompkins adds so much more and McGuire at 1st reciever is far better than McGuire at 2nd.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Well, this is it for England. The game of their lives.

Win it and Australia are out. Imagine that - an international rugby league final without Australia in it.

England need to put everything on the line for this game. No game in the last generation has been as important as this one. If there is any skill within the England ranks, if there is any pride in the England jersey, this must be a game that they win.

Can they do it?

No.

Classic LOL

Nook

Bench
Timmah said:

:?

Maybe its just me but I thought Myler was ordinary against France. Those two tries just after half time were important but for 75 mins he was almost completely anonymous - not what you want from your next hope at seven.

The best 'half' out there for England was Sinfield, which says it all unfortunately.

I probably wouldn't drop Myler - most of the English fans seem to think he's a better kicker/organiser than Tompkins and they need someone other than Sinfield who can provide a bit of direction to compliment Maguire's (occassional) flair. But he'd want to put in a better performance against the Aussies for his sake, and England's.

Thing is that England, on paper, should be capable of doing a solid job against Australia in a similar way to the Kiwis. They have the quailty in the middle of the park, they have a good hooker in Roby, they have a better tactical kicker than the Kiwis in Sinfield. And while they don't have a match for Marshall in the halves and are kids out wide at the very least they should be able to provide some early ball to the centres every now and then and have their defensive structures down pat enough to prevent the terrible misreads which characterised their WC displays.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol:

J. Morris > Hodges?

Why don't we just get Michael Jennings to replace Greg Inglis while we're at it...>.>

andrew123

Juniors
hoffman out as well - move watmough from lock to second row on the left and have someone else as 13.

gallen out, gidley out

leave the backline how it is, even though hayne didn;t get any ball

renouf

Juniors
The side is having the same problems as it was in the final last year.. Lockyer is not getting the ball at the right time to feed Inglis and Hodges.

I'd like to see Cronk get a run tbh, having slater and smith in key positions it makes sense to have him there over Thurston.