What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England V Samoa, may 2017

roughyedspud

Coach
And rightly so...They had two options..

The BBC show it live,get 500,000 viewers,helps promote RLWC which the BBC have the rights too,pubs would be open at that time too show it'll be live into pubs.

Or

Stream it,charge fans to see it,and it will only be traditional,diehard RL fans who'll know about it,and be lucky if 10,000 people buy it...And hope there's no technical issues,either at the RFL end or customer end...If i had dodgy internet i wouldn't even entertain buying a stream that's gonna buffer..

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
There will be technical issues for sure. Are they prepared for 10,000 viewing on their servers? Who will be hosting the stream?

There is so so so so much potential for this to be an absolute disaster which is magnified by a bajillion when people have spend money on a service.

adamkungl

Immortal
Already talks of boycotts lol.
Almost certain technical difficulties.

They could have streamed it for free to test it out..

how about telecast the game on BBC but also stream it live (but make it free if you are a season member of a rugby league club in the UK)

jim_57

Staff member
They should be aiming for something like the NRL. Set up a subscription service and get all the streaming they can on there, live and/or on demand. Maybe put the onus on the clubs, if they can provide a good quality stream (from amatuer to semi-pro to SL) then they get a cut of subscription money.

France could do the same, I'd pay for a French League streaming service with Catalans, Toulouse, Elite 1 & 2, rep games etc and French Internationals.

Streaming can't be the ONLY way to show games though, plenty of people will be shut out by this because they wouldn't know how or have the right set up for streaming. Everyone on here obviously knows their way around the internet somewhat, it's a slap in the face to fans unable to access a stream, they don't even get the option.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I must be one of the few who like it. Screening games on the BBC in the past has done little to translate to interest in rugby league outside the heartlands, why would this be any different?

The future of sports broadcasting will be live streaming as a fee for service. Why not start preparing now for what is nothing more than a friendly? RFL copped sht all ends up for signing the stobart sponsorship deal which was worth no money yet got massive exposure, yet when BBC want the game for nothing we whinge the RFL is dumb for not giving it away to get exposure. Rfl just can't win with rl fans!

Billythekid

First Grade
I must be one of the few who like it. Screening games on the BBC in the past has done little to translate to interest in rugby league outside the heartlands, why would this be any different?

The future of sports broadcasting will be live streaming as a fee for service. Why not start preparing now for what is nothing more than a friendly? RFL copped sht all ends up for signing the stobart sponsorship deal which was worth no money yet got massive exposure, yet when BBC want the game for nothing we whinge the RFL is dumb for not giving it away to get exposure. Rfl just can't win with rl fans!

More eyeballs on the game means more interest in the game. You only have to look at the A league and union in Australia to know what happens when you limit the amount of people who can watch the game.

Games like this should be shown on here BBC. If they were serious about streaming being the future the game should be shown on the BBC and streamed.

roughyedspud

Coach
A couple of people on TRL have had their £3.49 refunded due to "error"...I'm betting it's cos it's gonna be free now.

Clarkent

Juniors
Whoever's England got in the midfield against Samoa are gonna have a handful defending lafai and leilua ( if not picked by the kangaroos) after there performance since round 1... Form centers in the NRL at the moment

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
The strength of Samoa is the exact reason Bennett wants England to play them. It should be a great games because either side can win and you would think that both would play attractive and tough Rugby League. Can't see this be a grind them down wrestling affair. It will have plenty of flair and big hits! Cannot wait, got front row seats.

Clarkent

Juniors
The strength of Samoa is the exact reason Bennett wants England to play them. It should be a great games because either side can win and you would think that both would play attractive and tough Rugby League. Can't see this be a grind them down wrestling affair. It will have plenty of flair and big hits! Cannot wait, got front row seats.
Samoan team are growing in strength especially the island teams... Watched a few super league games in the super league apparently Junior Moors and Ben Roberts are killing it over there... But doubt they would be playing against England cause of the distance and money... I'm most looking forward to is tonga vs fiji now that would be a cracker of a match...