What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England vs France & European Championship news

Pommy

Coach
Do you not think people went to see Australia. The opposition in the EC is nowhere near as attractive as seeing Australia. If it goes ahead you’ll be lucky if they get three thousand to EK games played in the north. God knows what the attendance will be elsewhere in the UK/Ireland.

So what’s the answer, just not to bother? A full England side in a European cup does nobody any favours.

deluded pom?

Coach
Well my point is people pay to watch second rate events.
Didn’t they get a good crowd up in Workington or whitehave for NZ vs Scotland? Is it unrealistic that a knights or weakened side could draw a crowd in such a place?
NZ v Scotland was two full Test teams playing in a major tournament. I wouldn’t hold my breath on Cumbria supporting a second team. They already think they are hard done to. Sending the reserves up there is adding insult to injury IMO.

Pommy

Coach
NZ v Scotland was two full a Test teams playing in a major tournament. I wouldn’t hold my breath on Cumbria supporting a second team. They already think they are hard done to. Sending the reserves up there is adding insult to injury IMO.

What would a Cumbrian know eh?

Plus Scotland is pretty much a reserve England side

Coastbloke

Bench
Do you not think people went to see Australia. The opposition in the EC is nowhere near as attractive as seeing Australia. If it goes ahead you’ll be lucky if they get three thousand to EK games played in the north. God knows what the attendance will be elsewhere in the UK/Ireland.

Not making any assumptions DP. Just providing a crowd figure for a 2nd tier English side.

deluded pom?

Coach
So what’s the alternative? Just not bother?
The alternative is to put some thought into these things. Planning an EC involving England, in whatever guise, directly up against a Test series involving the full England side is telling the punters that the EC is second rate. If we are having an EC then involve England and as tito suggested play whoever you want in an England shirt. The Knights concept is for the benefit of England and England only. Don’t believe for one minute it’s for philanthropic reasons.

Springs09

Juniors
So why don't England have some foresight and play their full team in the Euro Cup before the NZ test series? It would only need to be 2 more games than the current schedule and since the Euro Cup would then be a first tier tournament maybe we can get full-strength sides and have some media coverage for once.

deluded pom?

Coach
So why don't England have some foresight and play their full team in the Euro Cup before the NZ test series? It would only need to be 2 more games than the current schedule and since the Euro Cup would then be a first tier tournament maybe we can get full-strength sides and have some media coverage for once.
I suppose it comes down to time. The Test series is due to kick off on 27th October. Two weeks after the GF.

roughyedspud

Coach

How many games do you want England to play? Lol

adamkungl

Immortal

I'd love everyone to be playing 8 games each post-season tbh
NZ have 6 planned
England currently have 4 not including the Euros?

Oct 20 v France
Oct 27 v NZ
midweek v Italy
Nov 3 v NZ
midweek v Wales
Nov 10 v NZ
midweek v Scotland
Nov 17 v France
Nov 24 v Ireland
Nov 30 v Euro Final

Could work? Have a 40 man squad with the "Knights" playing the midweeks

jim_57

Staff member

6 shouldn't be too much to ask any off season surely? Especially with an enlarged squad.

For the record kangaroos should be doing the same next year when hosting.

Tonga/Fiji V GB/England
Australia V PNG - PC A
NZ V Samoa - PC B

Fiji V Australia
Samoa V Tonga
NZ/PNG V GB/England

Australia V GB/Eng - Game 1
PNG V Fiji
Tonga V NZ

GB V ??
Pacific Cup Final

Australia V GB/Eng - Games 2&3

You could honestly wash rinse repeat that every tour year no matter which hemisphere, so each world cup cycle you'd have a full strength regional championship decided as well as tours and hopefully a confed cup and world 9's.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
I'd love everyone to be playing 8 games each post-season tbh
NZ have 6 planned
England currently have 4 not including the Euros?

Oct 20 v France
Oct 27 v NZ
midweek v Italy
Nov 3 v NZ
midweek v Wales
Nov 10 v NZ
midweek v Scotland
Nov 17 v France
Nov 24 v Ireland
Nov 30 v Euro Final

Could work? Have a 40 man squad with the "Knights" playing the midweeks

England now have five games scheduled adam besides the EC.

Latest posts