What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England vs Kiwis 3 Test series confirmed 2018

roughyedspud

Coach
Apart from give the RLIF a bucket of money through the RLIF gate levy...which goes towards browning the international game!

England will defo have 1 warm up game against a fellow euro nation...maybe even 2..and the kiwis are committed to play 2 maybe even 3 euro nations on this tour also...all in all more euro nations will get a game against England & NZ than say if we just had a 4 nations where only 1 euro nation would get a crack at em...

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Why are people so down on this series, it's international Rugby League actually playing games! I am looking forward to it! The more the better and with NZ losing in the quarters it's a chance for them to make amends. What is it that people are unhappy about? That Aus aren't involved? Maybe thats a good thing. I would like a pacific cup with NZ in it but either way i would just like to see lots of activity.

Springs09

Juniors
It’s not a case of caring about ourselves but putting a heap of points on an Irish side full of Englishmen not good enough to make the England side or an Italian side full of Ozzie’s not good enough to make the Aus side helps nobody.
England should play more games against France a genuine side but we still have to play real games regular if we wish to advance.

Yes it is. You are as bad as the Australian team you always whinge about. By your logic we can say what's the point of playing a below-par English team that we always beat? Helps nobody.

People said the same shit about Tonga before. Why should NZ bother to play a bunch of NZers not good enough for NZ? The point is - to help the game grow in places like Ireland or Italy we need successful national sides - the way they get successful national sides is with quality players - and the way they get quality players is to play meaningful tests against the big teams every year. Players aren't going to stick with their World Cup nations when they never play, and clubs aren't going to release first grade NRL and ESL players for second-rate competitions. It's why we want Tonga and Fiji and co. to play against Australia and NZ every year - because if they play one midseason game a year and that's it they aren't going to keep Taumalolo and co.

Ireland went well in the World Cup but will have no opportunity to build on that as they'll be buried away in some reserve-grade tournament for 3 years until the next World Cup. Not surprising they aren't keen on it:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/22/rugby-league-six-nations-2018-ireland-england

And you've played Italy once and lost against them.

Look what the 'Lebanese side full of Ozzie's not good enough to make the Aus side' has done for the game over there:
https://www.nospam18.com/lebanon/32...ed-by-reaction-to-world-cup-success-back-home
Ireland and Italy are a harder sell but they are never going anywhere if they don't play the big sides unless they're drawn against them in a World Cup.

Not to mention you're playing a quarter-finalist. Why not invite Tonga over? Too good for them too?

England should be playing in one tournament per cycle against the European nations, with it being finally treated as a first class international event. NZ and Australia should do the same with the Pacific nations. And on all tours all three should play at least three tests against nations in the region they are touring.

We hear it every World Cup - 'the smaller nations need more games against the big 3!' and then when the opportunity is there - 'oh nah we meant the other 2, not us, we're too good'.

Springs09

Juniors
Why are people so down on this series, it's international Rugby League actually playing games! I am looking forward to it! The more the better and with NZ losing in the quarters it's a chance for them to make amends. What is it that people are unhappy about? That Aus aren't involved? Maybe thats a good thing. I would like a pacific cup with NZ in it but either way i would just like to see lots of activity.

I'm happy with it IF NZ and England play against the Tier 2 nations beforehand. No more playing Leeds or Combined Affiliated States.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Euro six nations sounds good! I don't mind if England Knights play in it, they are still a quality side and good opposition for Ireland Wales, France, Italy and Scotland.

It will do nothing for the full England squad to lap each side but France and Wales especially should be aiming to get to a point where their full strength sides can regularly compete and beat England Knights. The benefit to England playing their second side in the tournament is building their squad depth and breeding the culture that they want into their next generation.

roughyedspud

Coach
From that guardian article

. “Super League clubs won’t release the big Irish players like Kyle Amor to play against England B. If we’re playing England, we want it to be the real deal.”

Ireland won't just be playing the England knights there's 4 other teams in the event!.it's a RLIF sanctioned European tournament! As a result it comes under RLIF laws meaning if Ireland select Kyle amor.. st Helens every too release him!!

roughyedspud

Coach
We hear it every World Cup - 'the smaller nations need more games against the big 3!' and then when the opportunity is there - 'oh nah we meant the other 2, not us, we're too good'.

Under this tour format there's greater scope for more games between tier 1 & 2

For example..
England could warm up with 2 games v Wales & france then 3 tests v NZ
NZ could warm up v Scotland,3 tests v England and play a couple of mid week games v Wales & Ireland...and maybe a end of tour game v france?...

Exactly the same applies to Australia when they tour here...and when England/GB tour downunder

All the European teams now know the exact dates the kiwis are going to be up here,it's now upto them to propose a "tour game" against the kiwis....less whinging in the press about it and more organising will go along way.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Sorry, NZ to warmup with a 70+ point win against Scotland? Yeah, that's going to be a benefit to growth.

deal.with.it

Juniors
That's right! It's up to Ireland, Wales and Scotland to propose HOSTING England or NZ.
It's then important that England and NZ accept said offer.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Doesn't matter what the score is!! Last time here it was a f**king draw u tit!

Back in the day sticking 40,50,60 on a club side was deemed fine during a tour!!!

100% agree with this - it doesn't matter what the score is, what matters is getting European nations hosting regular test matches against the big 3 and a few magical things will happen:

• More top players will commit to playing for the teir 2 nations
  • The public in Ireland, Wales, France and (maybe) Italy and Scotland will be more interested and therefore crowds will grow
  • TV rights can be sold as there is a regular international calendar planned well in advance
  • The game grows!!!

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm just happy to see so much international league next year. I don't really think all the negativity is warranted. Could things be better? Sure but it's a work in progress.

latingringo101

Juniors
There's a bit of a following now for the England v NZ test series in the UK. The 2015 edition showed there's appetite for UK fans to support the national team when they play against the kiwis.

Im glad they chose Anfield and Elland Road and Hull FCs stadium is a good modern ground, however I think one match should have been played at the Olympic stadium, it's become somewhat of a home for the national team.

Fingers crossed all 3 games sell out, should be a good series

Latest posts