What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English lower leagues

Tigers1986

Juniors
Am I mistaken or are Sheffield close to administration as well? Could've sworn I read something at the end of November about their dire financial state.

RFL really need to review their allocation of funding to ensure the survival of clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What about the running costs of SL such as marketing, refs, management etc? NRL spend tens of millions every year running the game.

8mill a year to invest in grass roots, internationals etcetc doesn't seem overly burdensome. Not to mention running costs of SL. 80% of the tv deal is going to clubs as opposed to around 45% in the nrl.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Am I mistaken or are Sheffield close to administration as well? Could've sworn I read something at the end of November about their dire financial state.

RFL really need to review their allocation of funding to ensure the survival of clubs.
The RFL have nothing to do with the fact that clubs can't run themselves properly. The problems at Bradford and Sheffield are completely their own fault and nothing to do with the RFL.

langpark

First Grade
I agree this is in no way RFL's fault, but I wonder if the demise of some great clubs (Bradford, Sheffield, York) recently might force them to start keeping closer tabs on all teams.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I agree this is in no way RFL's fault, but I wonder if the demise of some great clubs (Bradford, Sheffield, York) recently might force them to start keeping closer tabs on all teams.
What do you want them to do? York had problems because their owner was a f**king nutcase, Sheffield because they stupidly tried to run a full-time squad with no sustainable income to support it and no home stadium and Bradford have just been a mess for about a decade.

The RFL are not responsible for how the clubs run themselves. If clubs run themselves into the ground, make stupid decisions and end up going bust then that's their own fault. The only thing the RFL could've maybe done was suspend the York owner a year ago when he started abusing disabled supporters and banning his own fans from attending matches. But they were probably worried about making a bad situation even worse.

adamkungl

Immortal
What do you want them to do? York had problems because their owner was a f**king nutcase, Sheffield because they stupidly tried to run a full-time squad with no sustainable income to support it and no home stadium and Bradford have just been a mess for about a decade.

The RFL are not responsible for how the clubs run themselves. If clubs run themselves into the ground, make stupid decisions and end up going bust then that's their own fault. The only thing the RFL could've maybe done was suspend the York owner a year ago when he started abusing disabled supporters and banning his own fans from attending matches. But they were probably worried about making a bad situation even worse.

Oh don't worry we have the same problem here. People blaming the salary cap/the nrl/other clubs for the fact that Parramatta and Newcastle drove themselves into the ground through cock up after cock up.

roughyedspud

Coach
The RFL aren't responsible for how individual clubs are run,other than to ensure the people running those clubs pass a "fit & proper person test".

But the RFL are responsible,100%, for the general health of the sport...and if they don't drastically change their funding model then the sport will continue to see clubs going to the wall

bowes

Juniors
Nottingham should try to enter the Conference leagues or even the Yorkshire Men's League, more suitable opposition and traveling distances would be less than they were in the CLS.
Nottingham are going to be in the Yorkshire Men's League premier division next season. Much better competition for them. Not heard what London Chargers are doing yet

Latest posts