What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English Super League expansion to USA?

mistertaylor

Juniors
Okay so consider this. ESL expands comp to include 2 new teams based in the USA on the eastern seaboard. For example, Boston and Philadelphia. These clubs bring a new market and TV time slot, USA east coast is 5 hours behind UK so a US home game at 4pm is televised in the UK at 9pm.
The USA clubs might also appeal to NRL stars who want to play in EL but not have to live in the UK. Harry Hayne could be a marquee signing for the "Boston Pioneers" or "Philadelphia Falcons"...

langpark

First Grade
Not a bad idea, but I think it is decades away from happening. What USA need to do, is keep building their foundations. Because there is no point having a team there if it's entirely made up of imports. Strong foundations need to be built first and foremost. If I could give you some rough figures as an example:

There are 11 (English) Super League teams right now. Assume there are 110,000 registered players in the UK (including juniors) that equates to roughly 10,000 per club. So, if this indeed is the ratio, places like US or any place that are aiming to one day join Super League, should be working hard on their grassroots so that they have solid foundations when the time comes for them to apply.

Again, these were just random figures I used, but I want to give an example of something that people need to consider when discussing expansion.

roughyed8

Juniors
Okay so consider this. ESL expands comp to include 2 new teams based in the USA on the eastern seaboard. For example, Boston and Philadelphia. These clubs bring a new market and TV time slot, USA east coast is 5 hours behind UK so a US home game at 4pm is televised in the UK at 9pm.
The USA clubs might also appeal to NRL stars who want to play in EL but not have to live in the UK. Harry Hayne could be a marquee signing for the "Boston Pioneers" or "Philadelphia Falcons"...

Cool April fools:lol:

mistertaylor

Juniors
Bump.

So, the success of the Toronto Wolfpack in the 3rd tier UK league this year has shown that SL expansion to the US / North America can work.

Once Toronto get promoted to SL in 2020, the RFL should push hard to schedule some SL matches in Toronto, Boston or Philadelphia featuring the likes of Wigan, St Helens and Huddersfield.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The NRL's insecurities prevent expansion - more worried about putting teams in one stadium than fixing the plaguing issues.

There should be a team in Perth, as well as a 2nd NZ team. Arguments can be made for Darwin and Adelaide as well. 20-team competition in 2 conferences. 18 games home & away in your conference with 6 games out of conference and 2 byes. Top 4 from each conference contest finals, winner of each conference plays off in the Grand Final for the champions.

How the AFL don't put a team in Tasmania is baffling. Their loss I guess.

Dakink

Bench
I now live in Darwin and we will never be able to support an NRL team full time.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Bump.

So, the success of the Toronto Wolfpack in the 3rd tier UK league this year has shown that SL expansion to the US / North America can work.

Once Toronto get promoted to SL in 2020, the RFL should push hard to schedule some SL matches in Toronto, Boston or Philadelphia featuring the likes of Wigan, St Helens and Huddersfield.

Toronto's founder Eric Perez has ambitions for Montreal and a couple of US teams - the RFL should support his efforts

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The NRL's insecurities prevent expansion - more worried about putting teams in one stadium than fixing the plaguing issues.

There should be a team in Perth, as well as a 2nd NZ team. Arguments can be made for Darwin and Adelaide as well. 20-team competition in 2 conferences. 18 games home & away in your conference with 6 games out of conference and 2 byes. Top 4 from each conference contest finals, winner of each conference plays off in the Grand Final for the champions.

How the AFL don't put a team in Tasmania is baffling. Their loss I guess.

The NRL have touted second teir expansion as their strategy. I have no problem with that as long as we start to see it happen. Fiji should have already happened, NZ 2 and maybe 3 in the second teir should have already happened and WA Pirates should probably be playing in the second teir. Then when the NRL is ready for top level expansion, these teams are ready to roll.

roughyedspud

Coach
I feel Eric Perez should focus on delevoping a semi pro/pro league in north America..

Putting the odd team into the English structure,with little to no Canadians/Americans in them will not benefit those nations long term..

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I feel Eric Perez should focus on delevoping a semi pro/pro league in north America..

Putting the odd team into the English structure,with little to no Canadians/Americans in them will not benefit those nation's nations long term..

It's taken soccer half a century and billions of dollars to break into the USA, we simply don't have the resources necessary to pull that off.

Having the North American clubs piggy backing on RFL or NRL may be the only way to give them the start up support necessary for them to survive, it's probably not perfect but beggars can't be choosers.

Now all we need is a Hawaiian Eric Perez to offer the NRL an offer they can't refuse and maybe RL might have a fighting chance on the West Coast as well as the East, not holding my breath though.

BTW, North American sport isn't focused on international competition like sport over seas is, so I don't think that not having many North Americans actually playing the game is that big of a deal.

Tigers1986

Juniors
You could easily make an argument for Darwin. Easily can get crowds in with discounts for military personnel, there's the timezone on offer plus the lack of other sports. You can also use it as a platform to host some NRL games internationally with less distance to travel.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You could easily make an argument for Darwin. Easily can get crowds in with discounts for military personnel, there's the timezone on offer plus the lack of other sports. You can also use it as a platform to host some NRL games internationally with less distance to travel.

Darwins' population is only 142K, that's almost half the population of North Queensland with much less passion for RL, there's simply no way a population that small can support an NRL team.

I can see it working in the second tier though.

Haffa

Darwin! Hahaha. Imagine a Home Final in the Build up vs the Storm or Raiders.

Haffa

Yes. People think Canberra have trouble attracting players!
How would you like to run laps in 35 degree heat with 100% humidity?
I did it when I lived up there and it always ended with 4 hours at the pub to recover.

There is a reason Toffball shifted to the dry season and both codes play their finals in August/Early Sept.