What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

+EV

jc155776

Coach
I have been reading a lot of stuff by Tony Dunst lately (Bond18) and he talks a lot about taking advantage of +EV situations as much as possible.

Can someone here (Hevy maybe?) explain to me the +EV concept.

I think I have a bit of a clue but would love to sure it up.

Have to say I love reading Tonys blogs, he seems to really love Australia and tried to get a permanent residency status without luck!! Seems like a pretty cool bloke.

HevyDevy

Coach
EV refers to expected value.

A +EV situation is one whereby you can expect to make a profit by taking the correct line.

Let's put this in its simplest form:

If you have AA and a player shoves in front of you, calling is quite clearly +EV in that, even though you can always lose that particular pot (let's say he has KK and hits a K), if you repeated the same situation 1000 times you would expect to make a profit.

Conversely, if you had QQ and knew that your opponent had KK it would be -EV to call.

Basically +EV refers to any action you take from which you can expect to make a profit in the long term.

jc155776

Coach
Thanks Hevy.

After doing a whole heap more reading and research I deposited $100 into my Stars account to start grinding once more.

Will play no more then two tourneys at a time at the $2 MTT 3k and 5k guaranteed games.

Played 2 last night for a $26 and $0 return. Will play a 180 man Sit and Go tonight maybe.

No more spewing, playing above my limit or playing too many games at once.

Not wanting to make big gains, just small ones gradually.

Last time I got my bankroll up to around the $400 mark I went too big too quick and lost it all.

Latest posts