What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Every finals match so far ruined!

Was Walker Offside

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Too close to call, stay with on-field decision

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Knightmare

Coach
The refs were fine. 50-50 calls didn't fall the way of some fans. If they were called the other way there'd be outrage from the opposite set of fans.
We all get the shits about refs decisions during games, and there are some obvious problems around the rule book and Archer's structures and directives to the refs.
But post-game blaming refs for losing seems to be at an all time high with coaches and media fueling the fire for dumb fans.

There have been more social media meltdowns from Sharks and Manly fans than there were fans in attendance at either game. So many people that claim to care about their team's result yet so many can't be arsed actually attending.
Here's an idea - why don't some of the people who sat on their couch sooking all weekend actually get to a game and we can solve 2 NRL problems in 1 go.

As I said in the Sharks v Cowboys match thread- maybe people are staying home because the chance of wasting half a day/ an entire weekend and their disposable income just to go and watch their team get f**ked live is too much of a risk to take?

For teams at the top end of the ladder, they usually are able to counter for some poor calls. But if you follow a team further down the ladder, a rubbish call or two can make all the difference- especially if playing a higher-ranked team.

Last edited:

The_Shield

Juniors
Broncos and Storm fans have enjoyed bagging Sydney for their week 1 crowds, but if their teams got the same run that other teams do from the refs, I wonder what effect it'd have on their crowd figures? I imagine a fair few of the Storm crowd would go watch their AFL team instead, and The Courier Mail would be running a poll calling for the entire state to secede...
The Storm are the most penalised club this year, their also had the most player sent to the sin bin this year by far. But please do tell how they are the refs favourites

Knightmare

Coach
The Storm are the most penalised club this year, their also had the most player sent to the sin bin this year by far. But please do tell how they are the refs favourites

The Sharks are actually the most penalised team:

https://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/clubstatistics/tabid/10254/default.aspx

It's like when Barry Gomersall was accused of being biased towards Qld and the stat was brought up that NSW won more games than they lost when he refereed them. That may be the case, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't have won several more games than they did.

Same here- it doesn't mean there isn't a lot more that the Storm are getting away with that should be penalised.

The_Shield

Juniors
f**k off if an eels player did touch it it was already forward because of where the eels player was in relation to the pass in front of a it, secondly if his hand hit it it would have been propelled the other way.

These are the f**k ups that are inexcusable when you have two refs and two touchies , doesn't matter if you think they wouldn't have altered the result.
Do you think the same about the pass for Semi Radradras try

adamkungl

Immortal
As I said in the Sharks v Cowboys match thread- maybe people are staying home because the chance of wasting half a day/ an entire weekend and their disposable income just to go and watch their team get f**ked live is too much of a risk to take?

For teams at the top end of the ladder, they usually are able to counter for some poor calls. But if you follow a team further down the ladder, a rubbish call or two can make all the difference- especially if playing a higher-ranked team.

lol nice edit to what was obvious dribble

The_Shield

Juniors

https://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/clubstatistics/tabid/10254/default.aspx

It's like when Barry Gomersall was accused of being biased towards Qld and the stat was brought up that NSW won more games than they lost when he refereed them. That may be the case, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't have won several more games than they did.

Same here- it doesn't mean there isn't a lot more that the Storm are getting away with that should be penalised.
Coming into the finals after 26 rounds the Storm were the most penalised team. Could they have conceded more? sure, did they cop some dud calls as well? absolutely. Did they get any extra favours from refs then any other team? Nope

Perth Red

Post Whore
Title needs changing to "Every finals match so far has been outstanding". As a neutral for three of them they have been pure entertainment, enthralling to the end. Only commentators, losing coaches and losing fans could fail to see the joy of the last 4 games due to one or two so called controversial decisions. Hope the next round is as good!

big hit!

Bench
Title needs changing to "Every finals match so far has been outstanding". As a neutral for three of them they have been pure entertainment, enthralling to the end. Only commentators, losing coaches and losing fans could fail to see the joy of the last 4 games due to one or two so called controversial decisions. Hope the next round is as good!

the officiating is frustrating because every incident is interpreted differently.

furthermore, the use of the review is also inconsistent. use it all the time, or don't use it at all. on anything but a try scoring play, the peachy try would've been called knock on by the on-field refs and we would have a scrum without going to the review and slowing down the play frame by frame.

the NRL and broadcasters must think the bunker is theatre. it is a piece of shit and is ruining rugby league.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
well no, the Peachy try was given a try on the field and with insufficient evidence to turn that decision over it stood. That would suggest the refs wouldn't have stopped play for a scrum wouldn't it?

I'm no fan of the video ref, far from it, but at least its a hell of a lot quicker now and they've mostly stopped using it for dumb in play decisions like stripping of ball. With the million TV replays and the fury of media these days on every decision there is no way the video ref is going anywhere sadly.

adamkungl

Immortal
Probably because i live in buttfark Qld and have to work weekends.

Although you bring up a good point for home finals at suburban grounds, they would have filled shark park.

You know full well it was directed at the 10s of thousands of supposed fans who live within an hour of the game rather and not specific individuals who live interstate. Goes for my clubs fans as much as yours.

And suburban grounds have no place hosting finals.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"Use it all the time, or not at all" is just about the dumbest take I've ever seen for the Bunker/VR process.

King hit

Coach

Have you heard Barry's comment saying about our poor record under Gommersal. Barry said 'oh well I'm entitled to 2 bad games'

Surely

Post Whore
You know full well it was directed at the 10s of thousands of supposed fans who live within an hour of the game rather and not specific individuals who live interstate. Goes for my clubs fans as much as yours.

And suburban grounds have no place hosting finals.

Why not ,the excuse is they can't hold enough spectators

Going on the weekend crowds clearly they can.

GongPanther

Referee
I have no problem with the Peachey decision. There's no conclusive evidence to say his hand touched it, so you can't overturn that.

I do however have a problem with the Dylan Walker no try. There's no way you can tell he was offside, unless like the Peachey one there is another camera angle that proves it then that should not of been overturned

Just watched the replay againt and there are panthers players near Walker.Where he is right at the contact of the Manly player kicking it,he is clearly offside by at least 4-6 inches.

That ruling was more conclusive than the Peachy one. The distasteful fallout from this is that other fans are venting their frustration towards other Panthers fans.Which is unfortunate.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why not ,the excuse is they can't hold enough spectators

Going on the weekend crowds clearly they can.

My take on the weekends crowds (and the wider crowd trend) is that there are problems that need attention, not that we should set our sights lower to avoid disappointment.

Surely

Post Whore
My take on the weekends crowds (and the wider crowd trend) is that there are problems that need attention, not that we should set our sights lower to avoid disappointment.

What problems would they be, the farce in rule interpretation that has crept in ?

75k for all four games, that's embarrassing , the NRL must be spewing Brisbane didn't get a home final.

Grapple

Bench
Right now I imagine Blake Ferguson is quietly sitting down somewhere sipping on a Bacardi Breezer with a smile on his face watching all this Ref drama unfold. Lest we forget my favourite moment of a great weekend of footy.

31d44fd58dae4e9204ffd1afc07ea549