What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything is pointing towards a premiership 2018

The Damo

Juniors
This thread is hubris at its best and cockiness at its worst.
We are leading the pre season comp with the real competition to come later when the season is on the line and next week doesn’t exist if you lose.
Then and only then will we know if we are truly a serious team.
By all means enjoy the week to week stuff and even harbour thoughts of what might but be careful defeat can be easily snatched from the jaws of victory.
C’mon OT, hubris is fun. What’s life worth if you can’t tempt the gods to smite you?

Old Timer

Coach
One of my favourites too. One must be wary indeed, but legends are made by those willing to risk their wrath..
As long as we end up like Jason rather than Hercules aimlessly looking for Hylas after their ill faited encounter with Talos.
Greed is very often punished in the harshest ways.

Dracarys

Juniors
Your ejaculation is somewhat premature. But not without merit. We’ve proven we have the ability to match any side but form remains inconsistent. Creeping had that uncanny knack of building a side’s form to peak at the right time. We’ll know in a few months if McJetski can do the same.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You are dreaming if you think we are the best team since 1975.

1977, 1979, 1985, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2010 plus a stack others would put the cleaners thru us just like Panthers and Soufs recently have.

Stop celebrating dreams.

Outlandish post.
We probably have a better pair of halves than 85, 93, 96, and 2010. They are the 2 most important positions on the field, along with fullback these days. I can't comment on 77 and 79, because I wasn't watching footy those years. We do have a very good forward pack this year. I believe that our forward pack would have stood up to any of the forward packs of the years that you mentioned. We have a fullback who can produce something out of nothing and is improving. It is just our centres that concern me now.

2010Dragons

Bench
Crush,
After round 24 at the end of regular season, a new finals competition starts.

Every team in the top 8 has a chance to jag a few wins and then compete in the grand final….

But I like your enthusiasm and positive attitude….It just might happen !

st penguin

Juniors
You are dreaming if you think we are the best team since 1975.

1977, 1979, 1985, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2010 plus a stack others would put the cleaners thru us just like Panthers and Soufs recently have.

Stop celebrating dreams.

Outlandish post.

You think the '96 side would beat this year's squad?

It's pointless comparing sides before the 90's. The game was completely different.

Best sides since 1990 were probably 2010, 2005 and 1999.
We probably have a better pair of halves than 85, 93, 96, and 2010. They are the 2 most important positions on the field, along with fullback these days. I can't comment on 77 and 79, because I wasn't watching footy those years. We do have a very good forward pack this year. I believe that our forward pack would have stood up to any of the forward packs of the years that you mentioned. We have a fullback who can produce something out of nothing and is improving. It is just our centres that concern me now.

This. I recently looked at a youtube video of highlights from the 2010 season. Damn we had a great backline.

rednwhites

Juniors
As good as our team is, and as lucky as we've been with injury, there's just too many other variables to say we are assured a premiership. Are we a chance - yes. And that is something we haven't been able to say for a while. We are actually going to play finals footy this year!

Old Timer

Coach
As good as our team is, and as lucky as we've been with injury, there's just too many other variables to say we are assured a premiership. Are we a chance - yes. And that is something we haven't been able to say for a while. We are actually going to play finals footy this year!
You are a 100% correct and when we play finals footy then and only then will we know how far we have really progressed as that is when the curtain really goes as everything else up until then has merely been a dress rehearsal albeit a mostly enjoyable one.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You are a 100% correct and when we play finals footy then and only then will we know how far we have really progressed as that is when the curtain really goes as everything else up until then has merely been a dress rehearsal albeit a mostly enjoyable one.
Didn't you have us missing the top 8 at the start of the season? If we win the minor premiership, then we have well and truly progressed. Even if we make the top 4 we have well and truly progressed. lol

Playing semi finals football will provide us with a better foundation for next year. So will our players playing origin this year and most likely next year too. At the start of this season, I didn't think we were genuine premiership contenders, but I was hoping that we could be genuine premiership contenders next year. Maybe we are genuine premiership contenders? Maybe I was wrong at the start of the year? You definitely were wrong at the start of the year. lol

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Barring a complete catastrophe we will play finals football this year. However, it's how we reach there that is more important. If we limp to the finals with a series of poor performances we will go out in straight sets. If however, a performance is strong and we put away sides like we're supposed to then we have every chance of progressing deep into the finals.

There are teams who is starting to build now like roosters, storm and rabbits who's form of the last three to four weeks is improving. Whilst a last game was good we had a few weeks where our performance was below par. We cannot have a roller coaster ride of performances either.

It's The Roosters that worry me the most they seem to be building nicely IMO

giboz71

First Grade
You think the '96 side would beat this year's squad?

It's pointless comparing sides before the 90's. The game was completely different.

Best sides since 1990 were probably 2010, 2005 and 1999.

This. I recently looked at a youtube video of highlights from the 2010 season. Damn we had a great backline.

Well we pretty much ran the same left hand sweep play all year and no one could stop it.

Wasn’t until about halfway through 2011 that teams managed to work it out and that’s when our slide happened (that has lasted 7 years unfortunately).

But our 2010 GF team had plenty going for it:

- the best passing fullback in the game
- the best left winger in the game
- the best left centre in the game
- the best left edge backrower in the game
- the best captain in the game.

All those blokes were playing on our left side. Bennett is the master coach but FMD he had plenty to work with.

slippery5

Juniors
I was at both 77 & 79 gf's & I can tell you I'm basing my opinion on the spine & back row, in 77 we had a 3ft tall halfback, ordinary 6 ( think it was McGregor ?) who could tackle around the ankles but thats all, & lord Ted (one of my faves) at fullback, he was good at chipping over the top for himself but really did not possess the speed & ball playing that Dufty is showing, Edge was the Hooker but those days you were rated on your ability to win the ball & I think McInnes would sh-t all over Edge with his speed & defence ability. In 79 we had Slippery Morris with his speed but that is all, hence he was shifted to the wing in later years, Jonson was fullback & was good, but again the explosive speed of Dufty gets my selection.
Our halves are far superior to anything we have played in those positions before.
Don't start me comparing any of the 80's or 90's, did they have a 11&3 after playing 14 games? they are why we took 30 yrs to win another GF.
My opinion & I'm sticking by it. LOL

Latest posts