What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excited for 2017

Gareth67

First Grade
Not too sure on giving the captaincy to Frizz as much as i think he deserves it.
Seem to recall a interview - that he plays his best football when he doesn't think too much.
If this being the case i would worry about his form going the opposite way

I tend to agree EMU , as Frizzell is one of , if not the most damaging runners that the Dragons posess . Allow him to concentrate on what he does best , and that is destroying the oppositions defence , I feel that the captaincy would only slow his natural game down.

I would like it to go to Thompson , as it would hopefully take some of the spite out of his play , and as a result mature him as a player , the player that has been hidden away for quite some time .

TruSaint

Referee
It can't all be negative mate, I'm as frustrated as anyone with coaching and board... But the lads that take the field deserve our support :grinning:

well said.. Have been behind this club for 40 plus years mate, and even in the darkest days, always HOPE and look forward to next year. Am i a tragic? Hell yeah lol.. anyway i really enjoyed this thread in the midst of a lot of turmoil.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I tend to agree EMU , as Frizzell is one of , if not the most damaging runners that the Dragons posess . Allow him to concentrate on what he does best , and that is destroying the oppositions defence , I feel that the captaincy would only slow his natural game down.

I would like it to go to Thompson , as it would hopefully take some of the spite out of his play , and as a result mature him as a player , the player that has been hidden away for quite some time .

Packer would scare the crap out of me if I was a ref!

deansykes

Juniors
Sammy does Friz deserve it, sh..t yeah...

But i think we need a hardhead as Captain, some one whom can intimidate the refs and get in their faces ( not to the extent of Cam Smith and co. ), but we have had clean skins for captains now for a while. It hasnet worked at critical times.

Friz like Benny, are just too damn nice to be Captains. Just my opinion. JT, Smith, Graham, Gallen, are very " in your face type captains"... They can sway penalty counts, and do it every week..

I must admit though, i dont know who that player is. He needs to be on the field for 80 minutes ( or most of ), and needs to be willing to respectfully challenge refs... How many times in the NRL have we seen a penalty count change in the 2nd half, mainly as a result of pressure from Captains.
Despite his short time with the saints, I pen Sims as a future leader on field

Old Timer

Coach
To be Captain you have to have a certain personality and the willingness to test the ref but know the boundaries.

The only players who play enough minutes and fit that bill are Dugan and Thompson.

Simms to be successful has to have mongrel and that would be curbed if he had the C beside his name.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that we should have co-captains being Nightingale and Sims who are both former juniors and are composed, consistent, tenacious and mature.We do not need to have long term captains.
I believe that Dugan would not be a good choice due to him missing three State of Origin games and getting injured regularly.
At this stage of their careers I would not burden Frizzell or Packer with the burden of
captaincy. If he stays Mann could be a good
candidate for captaincy.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Not too sure on giving the captaincy to Frizz as much as i think he deserves it.
Seem to recall a interview - that he plays his best football when he doesn't think too much.
If this being the case i would worry about his form going the opposite way

Emu I can see where you are coming from but who do you think it should be.
Interested to hear you option.
Do you agree with packer as vice captain.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
To be Captain you have to have a certain personality and the willingness to test the ref but know the boundaries.

The only players who play enough minutes and fit that bill are Dugan and Thompson.

Simms to be successful has to have mongrel and that would be curbed if he had the C beside his name.

Like thommo great idea he is well liked and a hard nut.

watatank

Coach
We look better on paper but we are lack in the key positions and don't have the coach to put it all together

emu62

Juniors
Emu I can see where you are coming from but who do you think it should be.
Interested to hear you option.
Do you agree with packer as vice captain.

Dragonssamy to be honest I am not sure. I think Thommo would make a good captain but not sure he would be in my starting team every week( assuming no one injured ) Packer seems highly respected by fellow players & is inspirational on the field. He is quite articulate so should be able to handle refs ok but does he play enough minutes? Simms also seems
inspirational on the field.
Apart from that not sure, i guess you really need to be close to the playing group & at training to see who is the most respected & suitable captain.
When Ben Creagh was made captain,admittedly i had my doubts, so obviously that shows i have no idea

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Dragonssamy to be honest I am not sure. I think Thommo would make a good captain but not sure he would be in my starting team every week( assuming no one injured ) Packer seems highly respected by fellow players & is inspirational on the field. He is quite articulate so should be able to handle refs ok but does he play enough minutes? Simms also seems
inspirational on the field.
Apart from that not sure, i guess you really need to be close to the playing group & at training to see who is the most respected & suitable captain.
When Ben Creagh was made captain,admittedly i had my doubts, so obviously that shows i have no idea

Mate if I was the Referee and Packer or Sims disagreed with me I'd shite myself.
That might work.
As little as I know from going to events with player and some training session I can see thommo is loved but he would need to calmdown a little on the field.
Packer would work if I was the ref mate I think he would make me change my mind.lol

Last edited:

dragonreddy

Juniors
I just hope your wrong reddy, even though i understand our record is poor. PM leaving then Ayoub, and rumours of JD, doesnt fill people with confidence .. I get that.. As to Vaughan , I will judge him when he plays for us.. I rate the guy. One of the reasons our record may be poor recently is that we a tagged with every possible signing, from Cronk / Bellamy / Cleary / Roberts etc..

Nothing would please me more than being wrong with my opinion,the club desperately needs massive improvement 2017,to achieve that the front office needs a massive cleanout,and then with the amount of players off contract it won't be a cakewalk.

No problem with Vaughan as a signing but we have paid at least 25% more than we should have, groundhog day.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I think that we should have co-captains being Nightingale and Sims who are both former juniors and are composed, consistent, tenacious and mature.We do not need to have long term captains.
I believe that Dugan would not be a good choice due to him missing three State of Origin games and getting injured regularly.
At this stage of their careers I would not burden Frizzell or Packer with the burden of
captaincy. If he stays Mann could be a good
candidate for captaincy.
According to this forum Duges is pretty shit and should be let go so why would he get picked for SOO?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
According to this forum Duges is pretty shit and should be let go so why would he get picked for SOO?

Or for the Kangaroos for that matter?

I think the issue here is "looking for blame" to be honest.
Let's face it our 2016 season was a shambles, and not only Duges, but Widdop, Ah Mau, Marshall and even Nighty have been vilified. These are high paid players, and rightly so the expectation on them from the fans is enormous. The argument is always bought up about salary equaling performance and in some ways that is true. However, playing under the structures and game plans that McGregor has rolled out week after week would diminish even the games best players like JT.
What do they do at training? has anyone on this forum ever attended a training session?
Dugan, Widdop, Nighty and LAM have played international football this year (and throw in Mike Cooper as well). So surely someone sees the ability these players bring to a football team. Their not there to make up the numbers.

Reading the player reviews highlights many issues particularly our attacking structures and plays. It's the players who have to execute the game plans set down by the coach, and we already know our HC's game plan consisted of 4 hit-ups, a dummy half run then a kick, followed by a sweep or block play. It doesn't take Einstein for opposition coaches to work out defensive manoeuvres to combat that. But we kept dishing it up week in week out. Did we focus on "D"? our for and against doesn't support this.

All bullsh*t aside, and wether we have a new coach or not, the first 3 or 4 games of 2017 will determine wether McGregor is dancing to a new tune or not.
These players (Dugan, Widdop, Nighty and LAM) deserve better IMO

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree 100% with your comments , D.Slayer , those players do have so much more to offer to the Dragons , however they have been instructed to play to a certain plan , with no deviations .

That in itself is a complete waste of talent and experience . Apparently any advice that these same individuals could offer is flushed down the proverbial . As you said , each being an International , still being selected to play for their respective countries , therefore
one would expect to show that same ability at club level , but they have failed to do so .

As every supporter of the Joint Venture well and truly realises , it all comes back to the same individual . The quicker that he is replaced next season , hopefully as early as possible , the better for all concerned .

The quicker that our coach for season 2018 is announced ,the greater our chances of recruiting the players that the Dragons need for 2018 and beyond shall be .

However, playing under the structures and game plans that McGregor has rolled out week after week would diminish even the games best players like JT.
What do they do at training?

Well according to Mike Cooper, the Dragons faulted this year by departing from their focus on the D and invested too much time on their A.

Can you believe that?!

Straight Shooter

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Well according to Mike Cooper, the Dragons faulted this year by departing from their focus on the D and invested too much time on their A.

Can you believe that?!

Straight Shooter

Agree OV.
I think that was departing from their focus on "D" (desire to play football) and invested too much time on their "A" (Arse).