What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion dead in the water

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dave Smith as big a BS merchant as Gallop ever was. So that is expansion pretty much dead in the water. Time for NRL fans in Perth to find a different sport to follow I guess.

The NSW Cup is set to be expanded before the NRL competition, with no new teams to be added until all 16 clubs are financially viable and independently owned.
While the success of this month's historic all-Queensland grand final between the Cowboys and Broncos has sparked calls for the state to be rewarded with a fourth NRL franchise, the financial problems at the Gold Coast Titans and Newcastle Knights have put paid to the introduction of any new clubs in the near future.
The NRL has had to take control of the Titans and Knights and will not consider expanding the competition until they are able to relinquish ownership of those clubs and the other 14 are financially strong.
"I think our clubs are stronger, there is no question about that, and there have been some interventions over the last couple of years to make them even stronger but until you have got 16 sustainable, profitable clubs that are able to re-invest back into their clubs it seems inconceivable that you would add a club and just add to the burden," NRL chief executive Dave Smith said.

"I think there has been a lot of progress been made there but you have got to get that base strong before you can contemplate adding any more NRL teams. But that doesn't mean you don't grow the game because you can grow in so many other areas."
The NRL this year took an Origin to Melbourne, staged the Nines in Auckland and revived the annual All-Stars fixture on the Gold Coast, while the inaugural World Club Series was played in England, and Perth, Darwin, Wellington, Napier, Hamilton, Cairns and Bathurst hosted premiership games.
In addition, officials considered playing the opening match of this year's premiership in London and discussed the idea again recently for next season but Fairfax Media understands such an undertaking is unlikely until the new broadcast deal starts in 2018.
NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson has also been working on a Whole of Game Review, which focuses heavily on creating a genuine second tier for the game.
To do so, Richardson is expected to recommend that new franchises will be introduced in an expanded 14-team NSW Cup from regional and rural areas, as well as Fiji and New Zealand.
Albury, Coffs Harbour and Tamworth are among the areas that have been mentioned as possible locations for future NSW Cup franchises, while a Fiji bid team involving Petero Civoniceva is aiming for inclusion in 2017.
"Some of the work 'Richo' is doing in his blueprint around the second tier and around the regions will I think see a significant shift in terms of the broader footprint," Smith said.
"For example, there could be a couple of teams in the bush, where we want to encourage our young men and young women to stay at home for longer, and regional sides from New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.
"Expansion doesn't just have to be whether we have 17 or 18 NRL teams, I think it can be a more rationalised view of the region and how we make the base of our game and the pathways much stronger.
"We are expanding the base of our audience, we are expanding our participation levels, we have introduced new products like Nines and the World Club Series, we've introduced a wider inclusiveness of the game through touch football and tag, we've seen the women's game be much more embraced and the pathways there through our Jillaroos, so I think we are expanding.
"If you look at the mix of people watching our bigger events, increasingly there are more of the softer fans coming in and staying in, and I think the composition of the fan base is much more aligned to the community. That is true expansion."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...more-teams-20151012-gk700a.html#ixzz3oMBLbcnr
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

insert.pause

First Grade
How is that article saying anything new? Smith has always said clubs have to become sustainable before adding more, yet he also sees there being 18 teams within the next ten years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Same BS Gallop spouted for 8 years! Maybe taking a good hard look at why these clubs are unsustainable and deciding if they can ever be strong and what the NRL is going to do to acheive that, if it can be acheived would be an answer? Every other pro comp is growing whilst we stagnate in the hope one day unsustainable clubs find a hollywood A lister or some miracle answer to their financial weaknesses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How is that article saying anything new? Smith has always said clubs have to become sustainable before adding more, yet he also sees there being 18 teams within the next ten years.

SMITH: In 10 years time I reckon we?ll have 18 teams

Hardly a guarantee! Like Gallop did he just keeps pushing any tough decisions into the future in the hope he wont have to deal with it.

alien

Referee
having nrl games in places like perth or adelaide but the nrl not planning on having teams based there one day is not expansion. people in those cities will go to the games so it looks like there are lots of rugby league fans there, so one day they will get a team. if they knew they would never get a team there, the crowds would be much smaller.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be interesting to see what happens next season and if there is backlash at the nib game. Probably not as RL fans are used to being shafted and are like loyal muts they just keep turning up! I'll probably not bother, not waiting another 5-7 years to be told clubs arent strong enough so no expansion again.

alien

Referee
Be interesting to see what happens next season and if there is backlash at the nib game. Probably not as RL fans are used to being shafted and are like loyal muts they just keep turning up! I'll probably not bother, not waiting another 5-7 years to be told clubs arent strong enough so no expansion again.

i can understand how you feel. i'm sure a lot of fans in perth, central coast, etc, would feel like the nrl have played people for fools

insert.pause

First Grade
Same BS Gallop spouted for 8 years! Maybe taking a good hard look at why these clubs are unsustainable and deciding if they can ever be strong and what the NRL is going to do to acheive that, if it can be acheived would be an answer? Every other pro comp is growing whilst we stagnate in the hope one day unsustainable clubs find a hollywood A lister or some miracle answer to their financial weaknesses.

Which is what Smith's focus has been on, or did you miss ever second word out of his mouth being 'governance'? He has been entirely consistent on his views for expansion. Throwing more clubs into the competition while for the last three years we have been putting out fires in the 16 we have now would be borderline negligent. Clubs will get their funding boost from the next deal and I don't doubt their continued sustainability will be assessed by the end of it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok so gallop said the same thing for years. So do we throw more money at these problem clubs? In 5 years some other or same clubs are doing it tough, no expansion while clubs are struggling? repeat ad nauseum. Either fund clubs properly so they can make ends meet or cut loose those that can't. Even soccer has the balls to let unsustainable clubs fall over and replace them with better options. Refusing to grow the game in better markets to bail out over saturated markets is a crazy business model.

Clubs have had double NRL grant in last few years, double it again and there'll still be poorly run clubs pleading poverty.

alien

Referee
clubs like perth would actually MAKE money for the nrl, which means they could give the nrl clubs a bigger grant, which would actually HELP the struggling clubs

insert.pause

First Grade
Ok so gallop said the same thing for years. So do we throw more money at these problem clubs? In 5 years some other or same clubs are doing it tough, no expansion while clubs are struggling? repeat ad nauseum. Either fund clubs properly so they can make ends meet or cut loose those that can't. Even soccer has the balls to let unsustainable clubs fall over and replace them with better options. Refusing to grow the game in better markets to bail out over saturated markets is a crazy business model.

Clubs have had double NRL grant in last few years, double it again and there'll still be poorly run clubs pleading poverty.

Gallop didn't say anything about club governance and the reason we are dealing with it now is because he didn't.

taipan

Referee
That's correct,clubs got into financial trouble and Gallop did zilch,leaving it up to clubs to get out of the mire.
Gallop had nothing to do with the Shark's development,they did that themselves.

All along Smith has stated all clubs being financially underpinned is his aim.Nothing has changed in his view,and that is the way any business should operate.

It's stupid. There are only a handful of clubs that make a profit. There will never be a time where all clubs are financially sound. Adding 2 new clubs or adding 1 and relocating the Tigers will generate more money for the NRL even if they are propped up.

What is the difference to expanding now and then trying to get everyone financially viable to waiting an indefinite period for that to happen? The only difference would be gradual loss of fans in places like Perth and loss of revenue from TV deals.

It's pretty dumb logic from the NRL

adamkungl

Immortal
The NRL are cowards. The game will never expand if we take the attitude that every club has to be in perfect health.

This year it's Wests, Newcastle and GC - give it 5 years and it will be someone else up shit creek. 5 years ago it was Cronulla. Before that it was Souths.

The struggles of these clubs would have literally no effect on any expansion club.

f**king cowards

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you will find very few well run businesses that will bail out poorly performing outlets at the expense of growing into new lucrative untapped markets. During gallops reign it was Cronulla, Penrith, Knights (again) and Melbourne in strife, now it's Knights, Wests, Titans and st's . No doubt by time next expansion opportunity comes around it'll be some other clubs struggling. Such is prof sport.

adamkungl

Immortal
Meanwhile they're happy to soften up the game to attract new fans while old fans are increasingly frustrated. So much for strong foundations.

merkins

magpie_man

Juniors
You could have a promising career with the News Ltd press with your alarmist antics Perth Red.
If anything, this is a promising move for the expansion of the NRL, building expansion clubs from the ground up rather than throwing them in the deep end before they've mastered swimming ala the Titans.
You're likely to see a Perth-based club competing in the NSW/Qld cup with the view of entering into the NRL proper in the not-too-distant future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm as likely to see a flying pig! After 8 years being fed the same Bollox you can get a a bit negative lol.

I can live without Perth having an NRL tea, more fool them, but have some strategic direction for growing the game ffs. We've had one whole of game review, now we're on the second in 4 years, at some point it would be nice to see the game going forward not stagnating.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade

CC people got fed up with the lack of progress

From lots of CC Bears support at junior league to these days almost none

Seems to more chance of Easts relocating to the CC these days after they moved in and bought out Wiy Woy Wyong and the CC Division

clubs like perth would actually MAKE money for the nrl, which means they could give the nrl clubs a bigger grant, which would actually HELP the struggling clubs
I'm not sure about Perth, but I'm pretty sure a new Brisbane/ Qld club would.
I doubt if the NRL would put a new NRL club there, but i think a NRL club on the CC would make money straight away after start up costs.
Possibly a golden opportunity for a Sydney club to relocate

Latest posts