What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion dead in the water

How many registered Rugby League players are there in WA?
Obviously if a Sydney relocated to Perth it would have to take a vast majority of its players with it.
That's why i say that no club should have a gun held to its head as regards relocation.
I think we have to accept that it would be easier to get players and their families to relocate to the CC than Perth.
All this is, is just a suggestion on my part.
Its a way of expanding the NRL brand without cutting or merging clubs.

Diesel

Referee
There has to be a relocation, you can't keep pumping money into the same area thinking it's going to fix the problem

Diesel

Referee
Obviously if a Sydney relocated to Perth it would have to take a vast majority of its players with it.
That's why i say that no club should have a gun held to its head as regards relocation.
I think we have to accept that it would be easier to get players and their families to relocate to the CC than Perth.
All this is, is just a suggestion on my part.
Its a way of expanding the NRL brand without cutting or merging clubs.

I'd say any relocation conversation for 2018 would be taking place in 2015. Most contracts are no longer than 3 seasons so potentially any club relocating would have to mention this to any potential contracts for 2018 that the club would hold.
I'd also think any relocation that takes place would potentially null and void any contract where a player refused to move. It'd be much like a redundancy payout that is exempt from tax and no doubt the salary cap

Timbo

Staff member
I don't really understand the logic to be honest.

If Perth or Brisbane II were to present a bid that had sound financial backing and responsible corporate governance, why should it matter that the Titans are a basketcase?

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't really understand the logic to be honest.

If Perth or Brisbane II were to present a bid that had sound financial backing and responsible corporate governance, why should it matter that the Titans are a basketcase?

Maybe because it wasn't long ago that titans entered their bid that had sound financial backing and seemingly responsible corporate governance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the NRl would be better off accepting that there will be times that pretty much any club can find itself in strife. Either it adopts the AFL approach and props them up when this happens or the Aleague approach and cuts them loose if they cant survive. Either way should not stop the game expanding and growing at the top and bottom. Two new clubs are likely to cost around $20-25million a year extra. If the NRL are to be believed their revenue will have come up over $250mill a year since Smith took over. Its BS there isn't the money there, where the frick is it all going? If the game cant invest 10% of its revenue growth in growing the game now then it never will. there will always be basket case clubs

duylm

Juniors
But but but richo is doing a whole game review!!

That will give them the answer. Right?

You'd think that any genuine "whole of game"review would consider the opportunity cost of not increasing our potential reach in giving even 1 team to the 5-6m people who live West of Melbourne X every single year we remain absent from the 4th and 5th largest metro TV markets in the country. Not to mention the lost opportunity of top level rugby league only being played 14/15 times a year in Brisbane, the supposed home of Rugby League. At the start of the year in one of these posted ninemsn articles Richo is saying we have to expand. It's seams that the scope of this "whole of game" review has been severely limited.

Everytime we delay it, the western force, Brisbane Lions & QLD Reds pop a champagne bottle.

They've been giving that make all clubs strong excuse all last decade and if they are able to pull it out now when the game has more cash then ever then they'll use it again next decade. The grant already covers 100% of the salary cap, so the heavy lifting is already taken off their hands.

We'll be waiting forever for Wests, The Knights and The Gold Coast to all morph into the broncos. And by then what if the Penn family's money dries up? What if Russel Crowe has a heart attack.

Hey guess what? even after you fix everything there's still going to be 1 team who's financial performance is ranked 16x lower than the no.1 spot. And every Club will still complain that they don't have enough money. We can't ask them whether they are ready to share with additional clubs. they'd rather have 100% of nothing than 1% of something.

We extracted $925m for 4x games from channel 9. imagine what they'd pay us if we said we could DOUBLE the amount of Brisbane content available in 1 move. We are just giving Rupert another reason to short change us.

Grow the whole pie and THEN distribute your extra earnings around. No business in the world has ever made money waiting around until they can invest when they believe there is no risk. Growth comes from taking risks.

sigh.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ok so the NRL own Newy and GC.

Who owns the rest?

Russell owns Souths, Brisbane owned by a bunch of dudes along with Melbourne, Manly have owners I understand but the rest are owned by "members" I thought.

Does Nick own the Roosters?

Just trying to get this

with no new teams to be added until all 16 clubs are financially viable and independently owned.

Anyone clear this up?

alien

Referee
I'm not sure about Perth, but I'm pretty sure a new Brisbane/ Qld club would.
I doubt if the NRL would put a new NRL club there, but i think a NRL club on the CC would make money straight away after start up costs.
Possibly a golden opportunity for a Sydney club to relocate

i'm saying the nrl would get more from the tv deal if there was a perth team, which means the nrl could increase the grant to each club

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
billionaire james packer is part owner of souths too
Yep OK

So Russell and James own Souths.

I think my team is owned by the leagues club and therefore members...

Not sure who gets any profit, I guess it gets reinvested in expansion and junior development.

Latest posts