What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion dead in the water

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Posted this in here when we were talking about extra revenue given to players, but I think the same sentiment applies here (with a few minor word/sentence changes:

I don't mind if they get more share of the revenue, but the NRL needs to be very careful with what they do given the shape of the economy. Many analysts are tipping a recession is imminent - not just a domestic one but a global one - and given the drop in crowds and memberships one can expect from that impact, a poorly judged increase has the potential to really damage the game.

I would hate to see a situation where we have unemployment with a 9 or 1 in front of it, and clubs who were so reliant on memberships and merchandise sales to pay players are now unable to, meaning we have an uneven and poor quality competition as a result. I think you can attribute a lot of the Super League war to the recession Australia had in the early 90s.

Dogs Of War

Coach
So if the match us played in Perth then it won't be on a Friday night? Or will they kick it off like 9pm here in the eastern states

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If I were Dave Smith, I would wait and see which club is the next to come to the NRL with serious financial and membership problems. If it happens to be a repeat offender, that license gets shipped off to Perth while 2 new licenses are introduced on the East Coast, Brisbane 2 and Central Coast.

PNG is a deep outsider. I would seriously consider it but security for Aussies visiting PNG as a result would probably be an issue.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
deeeeeaaaaadddddddd

looks like it won't be happening any time soon

the nrl are thinking about the short term not and not the grand scale the game could become

MORE TEAMS!!!!

Brisbane 2
NZ2
Perth
Central QLD
Brisbane 3

Brisbane definitely needs 1 or 2 more teams

i don't know why, but i really love the idea of more teams

BuffaloRules

Coach
Dave Smith as big a BS merchant as Gallop ever was. So that is expansion pretty much dead in the water. Time for NRL fans in Perth to find a different sport to follow I guess.

The NSW Cup is set to be expanded before the NRL competition, with no new teams to be added until all 16 clubs are financially viable and independently owned.
While the success of this month's historic all-Queensland grand final between the Cowboys and Broncos has sparked calls for the state to be rewarded with a fourth NRL franchise, the financial problems at the Gold Coast Titans and Newcastle Knights have put paid to the introduction of any new clubs in the near future.
The NRL has had to take control of the Titans and Knights and will not consider expanding the competition until they are able to relinquish ownership of those clubs and the other 14 are financially strong.
"I think our clubs are stronger, there is no question about that, and there have been some interventions over the last couple of years to make them even stronger but until you have got 16 sustainable, profitable clubs that are able to re-invest back into their clubs it seems inconceivable that you would add a club and just add to the burden," NRL chief executive Dave Smith said.

"I think there has been a lot of progress been made there but you have got to get that base strong before you can contemplate adding any more NRL teams. But that doesn't mean you don't grow the game because you can grow in so many other areas."
The NRL this year took an Origin to Melbourne, staged the Nines in Auckland and revived the annual All-Stars fixture on the Gold Coast, while the inaugural World Club Series was played in England, and Perth, Darwin, Wellington, Napier, Hamilton, Cairns and Bathurst hosted premiership games.
In addition, officials considered playing the opening match of this year's premiership in London and discussed the idea again recently for next season but Fairfax Media understands such an undertaking is unlikely until the new broadcast deal starts in 2018.
NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson has also been working on a Whole of Game Review, which focuses heavily on creating a genuine second tier for the game.
To do so, Richardson is expected to recommend that new franchises will be introduced in an expanded 14-team NSW Cup from regional and rural areas, as well as Fiji and New Zealand.
Albury, Coffs Harbour and Tamworth are among the areas that have been mentioned as possible locations for future NSW Cup franchises, while a Fiji bid team involving Petero Civoniceva is aiming for inclusion in 2017.
"Some of the work 'Richo' is doing in his blueprint around the second tier and around the regions will I think see a significant shift in terms of the broader footprint," Smith said.
"For example, there could be a couple of teams in the bush, where we want to encourage our young men and young women to stay at home for longer, and regional sides from New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.
"Expansion doesn't just have to be whether we have 17 or 18 NRL teams, I think it can be a more rationalised view of the region and how we make the base of our game and the pathways much stronger.
"We are expanding the base of our audience, we are expanding our participation levels, we have introduced new products like Nines and the World Club Series, we've introduced a wider inclusiveness of the game through touch football and tag, we've seen the women's game be much more embraced and the pathways there through our Jillaroos, so I think we are expanding.
"If you look at the mix of people watching our bigger events, increasingly there are more of the softer fans coming in and staying in, and I think the composition of the fan base is much more aligned to the community. That is true expansion."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...more-teams-20151012-gk700a.html#ixzz3oMBLbcnr
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

So was Smith good or bad?

What sport did the Perth NRL fans move onto? I don't think it was the Force looking at their engagement with the local Perth community...

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think he inherited a basket case of a competition with most clubs very poorly run. The strategic plan from the arlc was first priority to make sure all 16 clubs survived no matter the cost. Pretty much tied his hands on expansion even if he could see the benefits. I'd say he was better than gallop but still not either brave enough or supported by the commission enough to push through the reform the NRL really needs.

Perth NRL fans are generally watching NRL on tv or going to watch other sports live or involved in local league I suspect. I followed the wildcats and getting into Motorsport this year for first time on the back of no hope of a team.

Parra47

Juniors
deeeeeaaaaadddddddd

looks like it won't be happening any time soon

the nrl are thinking about the short term not and not the grand scale the game could become

MORE TEAMS!!!!

Brisbane 2
NZ2
Perth
Central QLD
Brisbane 3

Brisbane definitely needs 1 or 2 more teams

i don't know why, but i really love the idea of more teams
Yep look at AFL, they think long term and make choices based on that. If we remain an East Coast competition we are giving up too much of the country to AFL and union.
I'm in favour of a second South Qld team, and a WA team. And expanding the NSW Cup to include strong teams from NSW and Qld country and Fiji.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How the NRL can watch that amazing event at Suncorp yesterday and still not realise the need for a second Brisbane team is beyond me.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Yep look at AFL, they think long term and make choices based on that. If we remain an East Coast competition we are giving up too much of the country to AFL and union.
I'm in favour of a second South Qld team, and a WA team. And expanding the NSW Cup to include strong teams from NSW and Qld country and Fiji.

The thing is the AFL only has a regular home and away season to bring in money and fans, which i will admit does extremely well in its heartland areas. Rugby League has state of origin and international games as well as its regular NRL season, which mostly works very well for them. I guess the NRL sees it as a successful formula so far and doesn't want to make any drastic changes. I mean what would you rather, a massive hyped up State of origin series every year or new plastic teams in WA and SA surviving on handouts and dragging the quality of the comp down? I am not saying the NRL shouldn't expand but only when the time is right and organically.

j5o6hn

Juniors
The AFL unlike the NSW/NRL clubs appear to have the ability to think further ahead than next yr,you may laugh but the AFL will have 2 what they call Derbys in every capital.
GWS is a Joke but they will continue to pour money into for the NEXT 50 yrs if that is how long it takes,the NRL club are lucky to think further than next week and want money all the time to stay afloat.
Also the Clubs are shit scared of NEWS LTD or we should have had a second Brisbane Club 5 yrs ago,if you dont expand you will wither on the vine,to many dinosaurs are involved in the running or RL to me it seems to be run for the Benfit of the good ol boys anyone who can think beyond next week is removed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would they be "plastic" teams? Every team has to start somewhere and takes time to grow and become established. Doesn't have to be an and or, bringing in a Perth team has zero relevance to popularity of origin in NSW and Qland.

Just been explaining to overseas vistors as we have been watching games this weekend where clubs represent and it rammed home just how Sydney centric the competition remains. A damning indictment on the inability of the games administration to grow the code.

Just read in the paper the afl is launching a NATIONAL women's league this season lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts