What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion is the only positive for RL participation

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Auckland Rugby League lose 500 odd kids a year who are either signed by NRL clubs or just move over because there's no money or support to provide players proper parhways.

But yeah, time to get up and arms about those four kids signed from Victoria.

Canard

Immortal
Auckland Rugby League lose 500 odd kids a year who are either signed by NRL clubs or just move over because there's no money or support to provide players proper parhways.

But yeah, time to get up and arms about those four kids signed from Victoria.

That's probably represents a couple of % of the kids playing Rugby League in NZ though it's not in the same discussion as growing the game in expansion areas, however.

Stallion

First Grade
Has anyone at the nrl asked NAB for $8m a year to sponsor a national schools based rl program ?

They seem happy to give it away to other codes ??

Great point! And on top of that let the general public of mums and dads know the superior effects Rugby league has on developing kids in things like confidence and commitment along with greater physical contact enjoyment and accomplishment.

POPEYE

Coach
If you'd bothered to read the article he's arguing for more grassroots investment. There are few community rugby fields in Melbourne, and the ones that do exist are mostly funded by the VRU. Hard to build the game when there's nowhere to play it.
AG is more interested in personal gratification than facts ol' mate . . . won't get any 'likes' out of agreeing with Bellamy

colly

Juniors
Yes. We need the CC Bears :)
We need the GCC
That stands for Gold Central Coast.
Most games (half) ie all home games played on the 'Gold Coast', so that's 12. Via the Draw all games against Sydney team to be played at Central coast/ with heritage games at North Sydney each years (2 games?) OR take 3 home games to North Sydney and against Sydney teams the Sydney team gives up the 'home game and the game is played at Central coast. We need to create a draw whereby we direct games so as to maximize our potential. I have come to conclusion the home and away structure needs to replaced with concessional schemes. ie Certain teams can have more 'home games'. This concession is looked at every 3 years, however I think a almost permanent concession could be made part of the draw.
If Wa comes in I would call the team ROA Perth. IT stands for Rest Of Australia. This opens up for the draw to be 12 home games Perth, 4 'home games Adelaide (one continuous month so as to build support ) and 2 games each for Tasmanian NT. This leaves four games, to be split up to Sydney/QLD/ NZ and Melbourne. This only needs a draw that can allocate 1/2 home games 3/4 home games and when including teams from say PNG and FIji all home games. Which means all teams travel/road games to these Pacific 'holiday destinations. It not a true home and away draw like the purest EPL and League was made whereby we would totally throw out (like unlimited tackle/ 4 tackle rule) and replace practical ideas.
Whats the Red one think?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The problem lies not in the current administration but from the Gallop years when they spent sweet FA on growing the game due to hidden agendas... surprisingly the media never attacked Gallop as they attack Grant and previously Smith.
The current admin are trying to repair ALL areas of the game neglected by Gallop due to poor TV deals etc. We have aggressive competition from AFL who have sweet media deals and a 15 year head start.
The game also has to realise if the TV money dries up there won't be any money to grow the game. I have no problem with the administration investing millions to shore up their digital component to ensure the money keeps rolling in. Smith and Grant were right in attempting to silence the blow hards of the News Ltd media who have way too much influence on the game and it's direction.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
That's probably represents a couple of % of the kids playing Rugby League in NZ though it's not in the same discussion as growing the game in expansion areas, however.

The state of league in NZ at all levels is in a lot worse than just taking a couple %.

I'm all for growing the game but picking a local game clean while it goes backwards is going to have the same poor longterm outcome as not investing in expansion areas.

johnny plath

Juniors
One thing I have seen here in the west is how little,support for jnr clubs there are, especially new ones starting up. There should be a nrl funded national insurance scheme cutting player registration costs, a national,kit provider where j r clubs cna get kids kits dirt cheap, start up grants and free equipment, Acess tomcacohing and devlopement officer support is pretty good but the costs for new clubs trying to get started are pretty significant and a struggle for most.

Maybe if more of the grassroots funding increase of last few years actually went to grassroots instead of the expensive semi professional nsw and qland cup clubs things might be better?
out of curiosity, how much does it cost juniors to play league in WA, and how does it compare to other sports. My experience from Sunshine coast and Brisbane is that around $180 will get your kid registered and kitted up (apart from boots). Clubs I've been involved in also give the jerseys to kids every 2nd season. Its the cheapest regular junior sport that Ive seen or been involved in. How does it compare in other regions?

The state of league in NZ at all levels is in a lot worse than just taking a couple %.

I'm all for growing the game but picking a local game clean while it goes backwards is going to have the same poor longterm outcome as not investing in expansion areas.
A second NZ team in an expansion area seems like a must. It would surely help the local leagues, even in Auckland.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
One thing I have seen here in the west is how little,support for jnr clubs there are, especially new ones starting up. There should be a nrl funded national insurance scheme cutting player registration costs, a national,kit provider where j r clubs cna get kids kits dirt cheap, start up grants and free equipment, Acess tomcacohing and devlopement officer support is pretty good but the costs for new clubs trying to get started are pretty significant and a struggle for most.

Maybe if more of the grassroots funding increase of last few years actually went to grassroots instead of the expensive semi professional nsw and qland cup clubs things might be better?

I still find it amazing that the ARLC hasnt at least started to form an inhouse merchandising company...

If they forced every team to use it, it would create huge income for the game and it would five the ARLC quality control over most team branding.

Then, as you say, it can be used to subsidise junior gear and even offer assistance in the design...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The problem lies not in the current administration but from the Gallop years when they spent sweet FA on growing the game due to hidden agendas... surprisingly the media never attacked Gallop as they attack Grant and previously Smith.
The current admin are trying to repair ALL areas of the game neglected by Gallop due to poor TV deals etc. We have aggressive competition from AFL who have sweet media deals and a 15 year head start.
The game also has to realise if the TV money dries up there won't be any money to grow the game. I have no problem with the administration investing millions to shore up their digital component to ensure the money keeps rolling in. Smith and Grant were right in attempting to silence the blow hards of the News Ltd media who have way too much influence on the game and it's direction.

Yeh, our biggest failure ha easily been he pathetic lobbying...

Where other codes were out asking for fundin and spruking partnerships, Gallop was sitting on his hands whinging about how the Nrl doesnt get nice things

typicalfan

Coach
Yeh, our biggest failure ha easily been he pathetic lobbying...

Where other codes were out asking for fundin and spruking partnerships, Gallop was sitting on his hands whinging about how the Nrl doesnt get nice things
Even worse he would justify it by belittling the game. He made himself out to be above reproach and he was carrying the game when it was the other way around.

jason taylor

Bench
Funny coming from the Storm. I know of a few promising young players that opted for the Rebels instead of the Storm because they weren't willing to go to Queensland, where the Storm base their reserves and under 21s.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny coming from the Storm. I know of a few promising young players that opted for the Rebels instead of the Storm because they weren't willing to go to Queensland, where the Storm base their reserves and under 21s.

You can thank the bloody mindedness of the nswrl for that.