What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, Manly and the Coasts

docbrown

Coach
Agree 100% with all that. I like the 3 team cup idea - the more rivalry promos the better. You just have to watch the Jets/Mariners rivalry blossoming and x by 10 for league to see the benefits to all 3 clubs. Parley that into membership drive competitions etc etc...

You'd get fans of the clubs travelling up the highway for their away games. I can see packed games at all 3 venues if it's promoted right and becomes an annual competition.

The other potential cup competition could be a regional NSW one featuring Raiders, Dragons, Knights & Bears. There's no reason why both couldn't run simultaneously - as long as the games are played both home & away (the Knights/Bears matches counting for both tables).

There will be a Sydney based Bears supporter membership package offering precisely what you say - entry to 7 or 8 games at those stadiums/year plus the Nth Sydney Oval Manly match....aimed at those on the lower nth shore and rest of Sydney (say Chatswood and south) for whom travel to Bluetongue every second week may be a drag.

Sell 5,000 to 10,000 Sydney memberships and 10,000 to 15,000 Central Coast memberships and you've got a highly competitive club.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Are you some sort of internet recording service? I am sure you have cut and past the same post 3428 times!

You never give a reason (face it, you cannot ever give a credible reason for having no more teams in NSW if there is a huge market waiting for one - as there is)

I an certain that you do not exist. You are just some sort of wierd internet virus. I bet you never go to Chipping NORTON.

A huge market? In the Sydney region? Have you seen the empty stadiums? 9 is too many. 10 would be a disaster.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Juniors
Sell 5,000 to 10,000 Sydney memberships and 10,000 to 15,000 Central Coast memberships and you've got a highly competitive club.

Thats precisely the aim for 2015 - 20K financial members, based on abt 60% Central Coast, 40% northern Sydney.....of the current membership total of 7,800, those percentage figures are right on that 60/40 split.

Beowulf

Juniors
A huge market? In the Sydney region? Have you seen the empty stadiums? 9 is too many. 10 would be a disaster.

The Central Coast Bears playing out of Bluetongue and NS Oval (1 game) will not be playing in empty stadiums I can assure you!

Breakeven point at Bluetongue is around 12K, less than half that of Suncorp. The Bears will at worst average abt 15K, probably more like 18K, ie 25-50% above breakeven. Anyway, a major owner of the Bears also owns the stadium, and the Bears have some residual ownership too, so we won't be losing money at our ground. To do that, a Suncorp team would have to pull over 30K every home game. The Broncos may be able to do that, but no one else would.

Loudstrat

Coach
lol. Brisbane is the only interstate team that pulls better crowds than Sydney

And this is so f*cking ignored. Broncos aside, the best non Sydney performed clubs are Newcastle and when in form North Queensland. Sydney's lower crowds come when some of the least supported sides have lean years - such as Penrith and Cronulla. It's become a massive farce that these clubs are compared to Brisbane. Be realistic - if we are to accept Perth we also accept that about 13k average for a season is acceptable for a club (which is what they will get on a year when they are mid table IMHO). We accept that from other interstate clubs. Why is it different in Sydney?

The way people carry on here is that Sydney teams need to average 20k to deserve a place in the comp. The same idiots saw 9k in Adelaide as a great crowd and proof they should be in!

Remove this hipocracy from the debate and what is really happening becomes obvious. Any team that averages between 12-13k in a lean year to 18-20 on a bumper year, that has the finances to be self sufficient, can create first graders out of juniors, works within the spirit of the code, and has stability at the top should be welcomed into the code.

Why they have to have apostcode that starts with 3 or above is beyond me - and given the length of this thread - is beyond any logical argument.

Latest posts