What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm sure that's what they will look to do, presuming they have written that option into the deal but there is no mention of it. Same as us.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Hard to say, of then4 new clubs brought in 1995 they all struggled financially but impossible to say how much was related to the effect of SL and how much of the financial strife would,have happened anyway. There was also a number of Sydney clubs in trouble,,even without SL it is probable then comp,would have looked different by 2000 than it did in 1995.
I know a number of Sydney clubs in trouble financial point but the game it's self was going through a golden period from 1989-1994 then SL but was that on the back of just SOO and finals ?.

If we can get to a 20 team comp, we can end up having 19 rounds (play every team once). I believe 9 Sydney clubs are too many, so I have made 2 relocations in this 20 team comp. The top 8 Finals system should be kept.

South Sydney Rabbitohs
Manly - Central Coast Sea Eagles
St George Illawarra Dragons
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Wests Tigers
Penrith Panthers
Parramatta Eels
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Sharks
Perth Roosters
Redcliffe Dolphins
Ipswich Jets
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
North Queensland Cowboys
Auckland Warriors
Wellington Cyclones
Christchurch Bears

Can you explain why the Sharks need to move to Adelaide when we are now one of the top Sydney Clubs financially?

Perth Red

Post Whore
no you're not, check your books! You might be one day, but even then the figures don't stack up as I have pointed out a number of times. But no you shouldn't move to Adelaide, Adelaide needs its own team not a failed existing one.

taipan

Referee
Sing the famous Pommy song"Here we go, here we go."

A failed existing one, one of your best PR..Never look ahead, just look at the past.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Today my good man, today. There is no evidence available Sharks are even close today to being one of the top financial clubs in Sydney. Maybe tomorrow, let us see.

Glad you agree Sharks have a long tradition of failure lol

taipan

Referee
" No evidence" You have been smoking the WA wild flowers champ.That's OK you don't have a team,gotta get your jimmies off somehow.
More evidence about the Sharks getting into a healthy financial position,than the WA economy.

More than a few business people have a history of failures ,which is a steep learning curve for them,then they become successful.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Can you explain why the Sharks need to move to Adelaide when we are now one of the top Sydney Clubs financially?

I liked the look of that 20-team competition, but another option could be Dragons to the 'Gong (they would still have a few 'away' games in Sydney) Sharks stay where they are as a Southern Sydney team, and Panthers OR Tigers to Adelaide.

adamkungl

Immortal
I liked the look of that 20-team competition, but another option could be Dragons to the 'Gong (they would still have a few 'away' games in Sydney) Sharks stay where they are as a Southern Sydney team, and Panthers OR Tigers to Adelaide.

Expansion will never be supported while forced relocation is a pre-req.
18 or 20 team comp is the only way.

Had a bit of a chat with Gus on twitter and he was hands-over-ears-la-la-la utterly against expansion. Possibly the most insular person in Rugby League.

Other Gus twitter expansion highlights include shitting on the 9s at any opportunity, not giving a shit that a major test match wasn't televised, and having nothing to say about Toronto entering professional RL.

siv

First Grade

Had a bit of a chat with Gus on twitter and he was hands-over-ears-la-la-la utterly against expansion. Possibly the most insular person in Rugby League.

Other Gus twitter expansion highlights include shitting on the 9s at any opportunity, not giving a shit that a major test match wasn't televised, and having nothing to say about Toronto entering professional RL.

Which is a insight into the direction of the ARLC

I read a old report in 2009 pre ARLC commissioned by the NRL recommending against expansion in 2013 for Perth, Adelaide and Central Coast

Nothing much has changed since

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Did he really pass comment on Toronto? that and this new story on a Florida pro team are the most exciting thing to happen in rugby league in years

adamkungl

Immortal
Gus doing his job for the Panthers...what a merkin

Nothing to do with Panthers. The bloke doesn't even have a passing interest in the game outside of Sydney. Years and years of form, bad attitude towards internationals and world cups when he's commentating them.

Nothing to do with Panthers. The bloke doesn't even have a passing interest in the game outside of Sydney. Years and years of form, bad attitude towards internationals and world cups when he's commentating them.

Had a look at Gould's twitter and I agree it is a insular, defeatist attitude he has taken to expansion focus on heartland only and forgot everything else. As a result of that attitude begin prevent in RL is why the code is standing still even since post Superleague outside it's heartlands.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

While I am desperate to see NRL in this city again (I'll be at the Roosters v Storm game at Adelaide Oval with bells on) I don't really want to see a relocated team from Sydney as our team.

Penrith have a massive junior base so it would be madness to relocate them.

Wests Tigers are probably in the most danger with the Balmain half of the merger now virtually gone and hardly anybody turns up to Campbelltown when the Tigers do play there.

I do like the idea of the Dragons moving to the Gong fulltime as their side is virtually an Illawarra Steelers in St George jerseys anyway.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
no you're not, check your books! You might be one day, but even then the figures don't stack up as I have pointed out a number of times. But no you shouldn't move to Adelaide, Adelaide needs its own team not a failed existing one.

Failed existing team?

Who won the Grand Final last year again?

DiegoNT

First Grade
One thing i hate about expansion talk is when relocations are mooted. There are 9 sydney clubs, but even then 1 is in a satellite city, one shares it's range with Wollongong. Those 9 teams share sydney which has a population of a million which means every team has on average a share of 555k people to sell to each.
Each team has a few hundred thousand casual fans, ranging from those who follow games on tv, like the facebook page etc to those that have memberships and go to every game. Crowds average around the 14k mark, but can swell to about 20k when a team is successful. They bring in tv viewership and sponsors.
If you relocate that team you can be prepared to lose those fans completely.
If the team is relocated to perth it's not going to be an easy ride. It's an afl town. That is never going to change. At best a perth team can mark out its niche, which is about a hundred thousand or so who will follow the team on tv and follow on special media etc. Crowds will probably be the same as other nrl crowds, about the 14k mark unless the team is successful then it may fill nib stadium which is about 20k. That would be a successful range of any perth team. So while relocating a sydney team may seem like expansion, the potential new fans in a best case scenario will barely break even with the potential fans you could lose if the team is relocated out of sydney. So relocation isn't really expansion.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
One thing i hate about expansion talk is when relocations are mooted. There are 9 sydney clubs, but even then 1 is in a satellite city, one shares it's range with Wollongong. Those 9 teams share sydney which has a population of a million which means every team has on average a share of 555k people to sell to each.
Each team has a few hundred thousand casual fans, ranging from those who follow games on tv, like the facebook page etc to those that have memberships and go to every game. Crowds average around the 14k mark, but can swell to about 20k when a team is successful. They bring in tv viewership and sponsors.
If you relocate that team you can be prepared to lose those fans completely.
If the team is relocated to perth it's not going to be an easy ride. It's an afl town. That is never going to change. At best a perth team can mark out its niche, which is about a hundred thousand or so who will follow the team on tv and follow on special media etc. Crowds will probably be the same as other nrl crowds, about the 14k mark unless the team is successful then it may fill nib stadium which is about 20k. That would be a successful range of any perth team. So while relocating a sydney team may seem like expansion, the potential new fans in a best case scenario will barely break even with the potential fans you could lose if the team is relocated out of sydney. So relocation isn't really expansion.

It pisses me off as well DiegoNT,

People like Paul Kent constantly use the Sydney Swans as an example of successful relocation, well the club was an absolute clusterf**k of epic proportions up until 1995 when the AFL bailed them out when they went close to going out of business and then brought in ageing supercoach Ron Barassi two years earlier and brought St Kilda superstar Tony Lockett and Fitzroy legend Paul Roos up from Melbourne to boost the crowds. Let's face it the only reason why the Swans are a success (and I am a Swans supporter) is the Super League war and the club's miraculous rise to the 1996 Grand Final.

The thing is this isn't the US where you can relocate teams very easily and end up a success. The Australian sports culture doesn't lend itself to things like that.