What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion

bluefox1968

Juniors
Dont agree with Brisbane MK II.

Dilutes the juniors. Concentrates the teams too closely together. Reduces the pool of players for Sydney to draw on and lets face it the better ones are coming out of Queensland. The opposite and perhaps upside is Sydney clubs would have to llok to their own juniors and what’s left of the CRL.

If it needs to be Queensland I reckon between Cows and Broncs. Rockhampton perhaps.

A team in another state becomes another pseudo Queensland team anyway like the Brisbane Storm.

For infrastructure, current growth, true expansion, current player numbers, past crowd figures, money, TV needs, lifestyle the other likely team would seem to be Perth.

I like the idea of an Ipswich [Jets] team, as it is a RL heartland, it is a separate city (although adjoining) to Brisbane...

However, unfortunately, I think the NRL will go 'Bombers', which is the worst name for a RL team ever, and has no relevance to Brisbane (AFAIK)... At least Amberley (Ipswich) has a RAAF base.

Also, I think PNG would be notionally better than Perth, but I agree with all of the above comments - not many white Australians would want to live in Port Moresby!!!

So, yep, I'm on the '4th QLD team' & Perth bandwagon, and yes, I would like to see 2 Sydney teams go [relocate?], with an NZ and maybe a Qld-based PNG team the 3rd & 4th expansion candidates.

carcharias

Immortal
My wife grew up in Port Moresby
Did all her high schooling there.

f**king hates the joint.

Which probably means I’d love it.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I like the idea of an Ipswich [Jets] team, as it is a RL heartland, it is a separate city (although adjoining) to Brisbane...

However, unfortunately, I think the NRL will go 'Bombers', which is the worst name for a RL team ever, and has no relevance to Brisbane (AFAIK)... At least Amberley (Ipswich) has a RAAF base.

Also, I think PNG would be notionally better than Perth, but I agree with all of the above comments - not many white Australians would want to live in Port Moresby!!!

So, yep, I'm on the '4th QLD team' & Perth bandwagon, and yes, I would like to see 2 Sydney teams go [relocate?], with an NZ and maybe a Qld-based PNG team the 3rd & 4th expansion candidates.

I took a topographical view towards Titans, Ipswich and Brisbane. Forms a close little triangle which I dont favour myself. Otherwise Ipswichlooks a good fit footy wise.

There should be no team in around Carlton, Allawah, Hurstville, Kingsgrove etc. That lot should move holus bolus down to Illawarra/Shoalhaven. Manly should f**k off to Gosford again as well

Card Shark

Immortal
Where do they get enough players for 2 more teams is my greatest hesitation.

Already a heap of ordinary footballers running around in the NRL so can't image another 2 teams spreading the talent further.

Yep, quality is getting thin on the ground.

Relocation of a Sydney club or 2 is the answer but I don’t want my club moved, so I won’t wish it on anyone else.

I took a topographical view towards Titans, Ipswich and Brisbane. Forms a close little triangle which I dont favour myself. Otherwise Ipswichlooks a good fit footy wise.

There should be no team in around Carlton, Allawah, Hurstville, Kingsgrove etc. That lot should move holus bolus down to Illawarra/Shoalhaven. Manly should f**k off to Gosford again as well
I agree with most of this.
A few years ago I said we should be running the juniors from south of the Cooks River.

I disagree with the Shoalhaven part. Let them just keep Illawarra, there are more Sharks supporters down south then there are Stains. Besides the Goons fans up here dont even recognise that the Shoalhaven and the Illawarra are different regions, we should not be encouraging their ignorance.
Case in point, the gateway to the Shoalhaven is Berry, and this is what greets you

great southern berry.jpg

Windy70

Juniors
Being from Warwick originally. Ipswich for me.

But don't care as long as the Sharks stay where they are.

PNG is a big no. Been there and not a place where anyone could focus.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Perth is the obvious one for me with the time difference and all. Would be nice if Perth Red was made to wait for a few more years though. Funny how things pan out though....a few years back we all used to shit ourselves as Sharks supporters whenever expansion or relocation was discussed. Now we not only have a trophy in the cabinet but we're planning a 20 million centre of excellence and serious upgrades to both Shark Park and the leagues club. Meanwhile up the road the putrid goons are 7 million in debt and looking for a savior.

carcharias

Immortal
I agree with most of this.
A few years ago I said we should be running the juniors from south of the Cooks River.

I disagree with the Shoalhaven part. Let them just keep Illawarra, there are more Sharks supporters down south then there are Stains. Besides the Goons fans up here dont even recognise that the Shoalhaven and the Illawarra are different regions, we should not be encouraging their ignorance.
Case in point, the gateway to the Shoalhaven is Berry, and this is what greets you

View attachment 17329

Check out kangaroo valley pub
Pete the owner is a nut job sharks man

Frenzy.

Immortal
The NRL has begun discussions on entering a Perth franchise into the NSW Cup within three years, according to Western Australia NRL boss John Sackson.

In the clearest sign yet of a possible expansion in Perth, it is understood the governing body is exploring the idea of including a team from the west in the under-20s competition over the next two years.

The next aim would be submitting a reserve grade outfit the following year, before evolving into a possible NRL team by the time the broadcast deal ends in 2022.

"For the past six-eight months, there has been a discussion on a possible inclusion of an under-20s team over the next two years," Sackson told AAP.

The revelation came in the same week the likely future ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie declared NRL expansion should firmly be back on the agenda.

Beattie is widely expected to replace outgoing chairman John Grant next month on a reconstructed 10-person commission.

Despite being chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, the former Queensland premier is expected to attend the NRL season-opening double-header at Perth's new stadium.

Sackson has long been sceptical of any talk surrounding the possibility of reintroducing a NRL team in a city that hasn't boasted a side in the top competition since the Western Reds folded in 1997.

A NRL spokesperson denied there had been any formal talks involving a future Perth team, however the NSWRL confirmed the governing body was exploring the avenues.

Sackson took Beattie's comments to be genuine.

"Over the past eight years, there have been plenty of positive support for the re-entry of an elite franchise in Perth," Sackson said.

"It's reflected in winning national fan polls or opinions from respected stakeholders of the game including media, past and present players, coaches and NRL club executives.

"The difference here is that such comments from the man touted as the next head of the Commission - the man that could become the most powerful and influential figure in the game - could certainly be considered more meaningful."

Perth has been served by having a West Coast Pirates team in the NSW under-18s competition since 2010, which has so far yielded three NRL graduates.

But the NRL is looking at a pathway to join the elite competition, after the likely inclusion of Fiji in the NSW Cup next year.

"The next step would be the following year, possibly for a team competing in the NSW state cup as the future of the game is developed," Sackson said.

"Obviously, there are lots of issues, including funding and all those sorts of things that have to be dealt with to make things like that a reality."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/01/31/15/50/nrl-paving-way-for-perth-expansion

Eion

First Grade
My wife grew up in Port Moresby
Did all her high schooling there.

f**king hates the joint.

Which probably means I’d love it.
Bet she was in a compound.

Been there once and cannot imagine it ever working. The joints a basketcase. Lovely people by and large, but no infrastructure, non existent security. Rascals wandering around with machetes all over the place. f**king dangerous.

carcharias

Immortal
Bet she was in a compound.

Been there once and cannot imagine it ever working. The joints a basketcase. Lovely people by and large, but no infrastructure, non existent security. Rascals wandering around with machetes all over the place. f**king dangerous.

Yep
Although as more money goes there for mining more security will come about.

She didn’t live in a compound but they did have security...who would steal shit anyway.

Tv money wise perth is the go.
Cos you have the west timelsot..so you can have warriors at mid day, sydney game at 2, sydney game at 4, an east coast game at 6 and then perth later at 8 eastern all on a sunday.
5 sunday games. Imagine. Good for tv and crowds

As to the other team. I think it will be brisbane mk 2. Seems most obvious.

carcharias

Immortal
Perth would fade quicker than the raiders in a semi final.
Too expensive for most fans of other teams to travel to.
It’s a two night stay .
Once the novelty wears off and they get flogged every week , they’ll be just another team with shit crowds ... difference being they’ll need to be propped up by the NRL to get good players over there.

Tv time slot is the only positive I can really see.
Even then it really only suits Foxtel viewers.
They’ll never get a ch 9 game.

Eion

First Grade
if Perth Red didn’t exist I’d be for Perth. But f**k them.

A 2nd brissy team to replace the shambles that is the Dragons and the added benefit of pizzing off the broncs is the way to go.

Also delete Manly from existence and put in place a new central coast team. Happy days.