What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion

carcharias

Immortal
Perth failed once already
The bloody titans can’t make a go of it and they should be killing it.
Prime RL area
Piece of piss to get to
Cheap flights
Good time slots

So f**k knows how a team in the boondocks can pull it off.

They’ll need more help than the broncos and the storm
Those f**kers get the magic carpet ride every year.

Eion

First Grade
Yep
Although as more money goes there for mining more security will come about.

She didn’t live in a compound but they did have security...who would steal shit anyway.
Hope they get there, but it's decades off before any decent money trickles down.

I was there about 4 years ago doing kokoda with the old man. Wall to wall shanties in the dirt / dudes walking around with huge knives strapped to them. They basically demand you don't leave the hotel, day or night, unless you are accompanied.

Went to visit the business that ran the trek and they've converted their house to have this one big panic room in the middle with barred doors and no windows...not for if...but for when the rascals run riot.

I do a bit of work travel to some shiteholes in Jakarta / manila etc and none hold a candle to the joint.

But I'd still rather a PNG side than Perth....

Ads

First Grade
Perth would fade quicker than the raiders in a semi final.
Too expensive for most fans of other teams to travel to.
It’s a two night stay .
Once the novelty wears off and they get flogged every week , they’ll be just another team with shit crowds ... difference being they’ll need to be propped up by the NRL to get good players over there.

Tv time slot is the only positive I can really see.
Even then it really only suits Foxtel viewers.
They’ll never get a ch 9 game.
Crowd numbers are irrelevant. Look at most Sydney teams for example, us included. Horrible crowd numbers. Its all about tv money. They open another time slot up.

carcharias

Immortal
Crowd numbers are irrelevant. Look at most Sydney teams for example, us included. Horrible crowd numbers. Its all about tv money. They open another time slot up.

Yay
Just what the NRL needs
Another f**king time slot where two teams (who after 1 round are out of the finals race ) duking it out at 10 pm on a Sunday night.

Ads

First Grade
Yay
Just what the NRL needs
Another f**king time slot where two teams (who after 1 round are out of the finals race ) duking it out at 10 pm on a Sunday night.
Well yes its exactly what the NRL needs as they basically run off TV money.

bluefox1968

Juniors
Hope they get there, but it's decades off before any decent money trickles down.

I was there about 4 years ago doing kokoda with the old man. Wall to wall shanties in the dirt / dudes walking around with huge knives strapped to them. They basically demand you don't leave the hotel, day or night, unless you are accompanied.

Went to visit the business that ran the trek and they've converted their house to have this one big panic room in the middle with barred doors and no windows...not for if...but for when the rascals run riot.

I do a bit of work travel to some shiteholes in Jakarta / manila etc and none hold a candle to the joint.

But I'd still rather a PNG side than Perth....

This is spot on. Okay, I've never been to Port Moresby, but my wife has. I have lived in Vanuatu for 17 years, which is nowhere near as bad.

These cultures will not change for a LONG time. The govts are just too corrupt to do anything positive!

carcharias

Immortal
Well yes its exactly what the NRL needs as they basically run off TV money.
I get what you’re saying
But half the games are already dead ducks at the ground and on TV.
Another team will weaken the comp even more.

Reactions: PJ

Eion

First Grade
This is spot on. Okay, I've never been to Port Moresby, but my wife has. I have lived in Vanuatu for 17 years, which is nowhere near as bad.

These cultures will not change for a LONG time. The govts are just too corrupt to do anything positive!
Yeah mate, Vanuatu's a great place and it's chalk and cheese, you lucky bugger. Proposed to me missus there.

There's a kind of island poor like Vanuatu or Fiji, but still no worries. And there's Moresby....which is like a mini africa or south America kind of feral.... I can't believe PNG is even discussed in NRL proper expansion talks. Any money thrown their way will be down the drain even with their love for the game.

They're all still better than perth though.

Quigs

Immortal
I think the NRL should get their shit together first before even thinking about expansion.

They are a joke.

bluefox68

Staff member
Yeah mate, Vanuatu's a great place and it's chalk and cheese, you lucky bugger. Proposed to me missus there.

There's a kind of island poor like Vanuatu or Fiji, but still no worries. And there's Moresby....which is like a mini africa or south America kind of feral.... I can't believe PNG is even discussed in NRL proper expansion talks. Any money thrown their way will be down the drain even with their love for the game.

They're all still better than perth though.
Thanks, mate. I’m actually back in Brisbane permanently due to new baby with health issues, but go back to Vanuatu twice a year...

Eion

First Grade
Thanks, mate. I’m actually back in Brisbane permanently due to new baby with health issues, but go back to Vanuatu twice a year...
That's rough mate, sorry to hear about your bub and hope all goes well.

If you're still in brissy Thursday 26 July, pencil in to watch the mighties towel up the donkeys...cheer birdy on as he hogs the ball, then drops it...

RUBIKS

Juniors
Perth and a second NZ team.

Perth for the TV and who knows maybe they get a great junior development going and become a power house?

Second NZ team to get a local rivalry going. That way even if they aren't going well in the NRL they'll still have a couple games to get really passionate about. Nth island vs Sth island.

I would love a Fiji team or the Darwin Crocks but neither of those would happen.

I am totally against another Qld team.

Ads

First Grade
I get what you’re saying
But half the games are already dead ducks at the ground and on TV.
Another team will weaken the comp even more.
It sucks but it is what it is. The NRL will look at it and think do we spend a fortune trying to get bums on seats in grounds which in 50+ years still don't fill up or do we bring in another two teams and a time slot and rake in a nice big rise in the next tv deal?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Perth and a second NZ team.

Perth for the TV and who knows maybe they get a great junior development going and become a power house?

Second NZ team to get a local rivalry going. That way even if they aren't going well in the NRL they'll still have a couple games to get really passionate about. Nth island vs Sth island.

I would love a Fiji team or the Darwin Crocks but neither of those would happen.

I am totally against another Qld team.

Fiji is happening though. It’s in the article I posted. Intrust Supercup. 2019 I think

Inferno

Coach
Another Brisbane/QLD team is a certainty. They want another team playing out of Suncorp the weeks the Broncs aren't there.

For me I think Perth should be the other team.

The Warriors have been average for the last decade. Diluting the talent even further over there isn't the answer I don't think.