What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

Perth Red

Post Whore
I live in Hull and have just been to London for the weekend. You don't realise just how much the prices jump once we pass Watford Gap.

I used to think London was expensive until I moved to Perth! Used to complain at price difference of a pint, now I have to pay $12 (8pound) a pint! Going to London on holiday is cheap!

Springs suggest you take a look at the 2008 semifinal crowds, they hardly inspire. Hopefully the NRL will do it better this time but 2013 has set a high bar, especially semi and final.

docbrown

Coach
doc - the pool stages aren't going to be in early October. We aren't going to start a week after the GF. I'm all for taking NRL games there during winter but in summer the humidity there is atrocious.

In 2017 the tournament could start on Friday October 20th so a game in Darwin that weekend is fine. Like I said it's no hotter than it will be in PNG and we'll likely be playing games there.

I love Tasmania but I don't think it should get a game before a rugby league heartland.

Perth, Darwin, Adelaide, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Canberra, Melbourne, Hobart, Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Suva, Port Moresby - that's 23 venues. This year there were 21 pool games but 2017 there'll likely be more. Enough so that all these cities and government can bid and compete to host matches.

The final should be at Eden Park. Give NZ a turn at hosting it.

Whoever wants it the most - pays & promotes it - they should get it. Don't be surprised if the Victorian Government goes all out to snatch it.

RWC in 2003 - 15000 to a game in Launceston where there is one Rugby Club.

Storm Broncos trial 2012 with basically no promotion 15000 in Hobart and 4 League Clubs.
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1867493/rugby-scores-top-mark-in-city/
:p

This really is our opportunity to have a proper national (& international) world cup.

RHCP

Bench
docbrown said:
Whoever wants it the most - pays & promotes it - they should get it. Don't be surprised if the Victorian Government goes all out to snatch it.
I agree. They've paid for an Origin, don't be surprised if they jump at the chance to get a WC final.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Why Brisbane? Never been to Suncorp but surely it can't be such a life changing experience that every RLWC final must be hosted there.

Sydney sells out State of Origins and Grand Finals, even if ANZ got 75K not full capacity it's > than the capacity of Suncorp.

Selling out Etihad would be just as easy as selling out Suncorp.

i didn't say brisbane and no one else gets a say.

Brisbane sold out the 2008 RLWC final... was it the only sell out?

It puts it in the box seat, and we have to find something to surpass that.

Eden Park can, it can sell around 8-10,000 more seats, but their dollar is 20% lower. Now last time it had games for a tournament there... 2006 tri-nations wasn' it?.... and we got 16-18k for a couple of test matches.

We aren't guaranteed Eden park will sell out, and definaely not at the prices we can charge in Brisbane.

Melbourne we prob can't sell for the same ticket prices as in Brisbane.

Sydney, whilst it can get more in ANZ, would look poor with less than 70k.. having 12k empty seats.

I'm not saying Brisbane should get it automatically (the 2008 RLWC final is the only time I've ever been to Suncorp) but the others have to put up a big case to be considered ahead of them.

if Sydney bids for it, then ticket prices can come down as money becomes less of an issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I reckon follwoing the success of this RLWC we will see a lot more fans travelling around the country and from overseas to watch games. Hosting games, especially semis and final would be a big tourism boost for some cities so I can see some serious competition for bids. IF Perth Stadium is built the RLWC could in theory be the opening game for the new stadium, not scheduled too open till early 2018 but of it is ahead of schedule I wouldn't be surprised to see WA Govt go hard for a semi dbl header or even the final.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I flew out of Perth, to Melbourne for the Aus/Eng game, to Sydney to catch games up to the Aus/Fiji Semi, then onto Brisbane for the final.

I was one of those tourists.

That said, catering for tourists puts Perth at a major disadvantage.

it is a long and expensive trip to Perth, and the other 3 mainland capitals in consideration are much more compact. No one wants to fly from Europe to Sydney, fly for one England or France game in Perth, then back to the east coast. it's much easier to bundle England in a Sydney/Newcastle/Canberra triangle

Perth doesn't even have an NRL side, let alone one that is successful and having NIB bursting at the seams every week.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not from England and a return flight is only going to cost you $500 internally. Schedule the first England game in perth, it is the best first port of call for English fans. Hopefully the WC Pirates will be kicking off in 2017 and the game will be on a high here. They will have no problem selling out 21k into Nib for an England game or 30K to Subiaco (or Perth stadium if it's ready). Equivalent game 2008 was EngvPNG in NQ, drew less than 11,000. Perth would smash that number
The city that bids the most money and has the best promotional plan will get the events, hopefully. That is what has made this RLWC so succesful and has to be replicated in Australia. Hopefully we won;t then see sub 8k crowds like in 2008.

Englands crowds in 2008

NQ 10,780
Melb 36,297
Newcastle 15,145
Brisbane (semi) 26,659

The pool games for Group B&C barely topped 10,000 avg
Perth has to be a venue this time around.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
yeah.. "Only $500"

That's a fortnights wages after tax for a lot of people north of Watford. As I said, having tourists fork out a lot of money for a one off game... a by distances, that's like a FIFA world cup in Spain, with a one off game in Israel, is going to easilty be a 'yeah Ill watch it on TV' factor.

An England game as their first game in Perth, a better idea, but scheduling tends to have them in the same pool as Australia, and the kick off game.

We saw plenty of sub 8k games in this world cup too, get the chip off your shoulder. The 2008 RLWC saw many of the platforms developed that this world cup built off.

Australia had 3k,14k and 5k crowds in their pool stages + quarter final.

I also live in Perth, but in no way does Perth 'have to be', especially if NZ co-hosts

Billythekid

First Grade
The last origin game in Melbourne managed to draw more people than the capacity of Suncorp and no one down there has a reason to give a sh*t about it. A well promoted world cup final would surely beat that crowd. I think if it's open to bid Victoria will go for it and it would draw a damn good crowd. Only downside is that the stadium is terrible for watching league.

Just on Perth i don't think it's a must have. I think it would be great to see a game there but it wouldn't be a disaster if we didn't. Perth, Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane, gold coast, NQLD, Newcastle, Sydney (and various suburbs), PNG, Fiji and NZ all put forward a good case to get games. Some might even argue for Adelaide, tasmania and darwin for smaller games. It will be damn hard to fit them all in.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Melbourne has been getting SOO for over a decade, they have an NRL side and they recognise SOO as the pinnacle of the game. It's quite an easy sell after that.

They would also have to promise to move the seats in. I was so disappointed in 2008 when they didn't move the seats in.

Brisbane however is a venue that could sell $500 per ticket for much of the lower tier of the east and west sides for example.

Personally, the final can only go to Auckland, Sydney or Brisbane.

Auckland can if they are the major host, with Australia a minor poartner, and NZ somehow has to cough up big for that privilege.

Sydney is a lay down misere if it can promise to (attempt to) fill ANZ. If Sally Bolton knew how to work Australia then sure, but if all remains the same, it should be Brisbane's.

It's been a long time since Sydney drew 50k+ for an international.

roughyedspud

Coach
i know..i've just chucking it up...

the final has to be at ANZ (olympic stadium) or whatever its called these days

semis at suncorp & aami park??

Perth Red

Post Whore
No the final has to be at the city willing to put the best bid on the table. RL needs to move on from the insular mentality that has confined it for over a century. There are possibly five potential cities with suitable stadiums that would be interested in hosting the semis and final. May the best bid win.

Perth can draw 20k to a pool game, only 2 venues out of 12 managed that in 2008. It will also hopefully be on the back of the birth of the WC Pirates, it is a must for that reason alone.

As for your comment re "northerners" only earning 140 pound a week, yeh right,how do they feed their whippets and buy corn for the pigeons not to mention replace their flat caps on that much avg wage? Nothing like stereotyping Kurt!

Last edited:

The Clan

Juniors
RFL just tweeted "last 40 tickets available for the RLWC2013 Final at Old Tafford"

It will be sold out!

LJC

Juniors
RFL just tweeted "last 40 tickets available for the RLWC2013 Final at Old Tafford"

It will be sold out!

Great to see.

The game deserves a sellout!

In fact that double header last week deserved a sellout but I suppose its small steps before bigger ones!

WaznTheGreat

Referee
English fans are awesome,if England and New Zealand played a final in Australia 5 people would turn up

England > Australia

Latest posts