What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

The organisers for the 2017 World Cup should employ some of this years organisers in an advisory role. If the final can get a world record in a country where league isn't on the radar, Australia should be able to sell out Telstra stadium or the MCG. And out of those 2 stadia the MCG would be more likely to get the bigger crowd as Melbourne does big events better than Sydney and the Melbourne public will go to a major event unlike Sydney folk.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The organisers for the 2017 World Cup should employ some of this years organisers in an advisory role. If the final can get a world record in a country where league isn't on the radar, Australia should be able to sell out Telstra stadium or the MCG. And out of those 2 stadia the MCG would be more likely to get the bigger crowd as Melbourne does big events better than Sydney and the Melbourne public will go to a major event unlike Sydney folk.

the MCG ?:sarcasm:

you're kidding ............ & if you're not

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

undertaker

Coach

Given that the 2008 tournament was the first that had been held in 8 years due to the disastrous 2000 tournament, I understand that the 2008 one was played at smaller venues so the RFL could make a profit. Suncorp was a safe option for the final as it was in RL territory and was guaranteed 50k+ crowd.

Now with the big success of this tournament, id definitely like to see the 2017 one played at larger venues if its held in Australia and New Zealand. I agree that either ANZ or MCG should get the final. A big crowd will ensue with proper promotion and scheduling, as has been seen from this years tournament. Also, pool games need to be scheduled on demographics to increase crowd attendance. For example, Italy could play their games in western Sydney and Melbourne, where there's large contingents of Italians etc.

WireMan

Bench
Given that the 2008 tournament was the first that had been held in 8 years due to the disastrous 2000 tournament, I understand that the 2008 one was played at smaller venues so the RFL could make a profit. Suncorp was a safe option for the final as it was in RL territory and was guaranteed 50k+ crowd.

Now with the big success of this tournament, id definitely like to see the 2017 one played at larger venues if its held in Australia and New Zealand. I agree that either ANZ or MCG should get the final. A big crowd will ensue with proper promotion and scheduling, as has been seen from this years tournament. Also, pool games need to be scheduled on demographics to increase crowd attendance. For example, Italy could play their games in western Sydney and Melbourne, where there's large contingents of Italians etc.

I agree, and I don't know why people feel the need to compare this world cup to the last one.

Of course this one was better, it had the 2008 comp to use as a foundation and it could build on it. It would have been a disaster if it had been worse.

There is a lot of pressure on the 2017 planning committee to build on this world cup and make it even bigger.
This is good as it is the way it should be.

The two big challenges will be:
1. Crowds. A comp is better if there are full stadiums to watch it. It has more interest and looks better on the telly. This world cup had shown it can be done, and one way to do it. Will the next world cup go the same way or think of a different way? We will see.

2. Competition. The world cup needs a 4th team that can challenge. This is obviously not just down to the planning group but the international community. But for 2017 to be seen as more successful than 2013 this is where it has to be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think Australians will support international RL like the English and French have done. If the 2017 organisers can top this tournament they would have done an amazing job.

Again re final, which ever city bids most.

Personally if we could get 45k semis at Allianz and suncorp and 90k at mcg then I would have no hesitation in basing the games there.

LJC

Juniors
I don't think Australians will support international RL like the English and French have done. If the 2017 organisers can top this tournament they would have done an amazing job.

Again re final, which ever city bids most.

Personally if we could get 45k semis at Allianz and suncorp and 90k at mcg then I would have no hesitation in basing the games there.

Mixing the host cities between Australia and NZ may prove very worthwhile.

In fact some bigger island nations might host as well?

Its quite possible to capture the Australian public imagination as rugby league is a great product and internationally I think this world cup has jettisoned a more international regard for the game.

I believe the English have improved significantly. An Aust V England game in Sydney would draw very well and would have to be staged at the biggest stadium.

docbrown

Coach

I honestly believe we can take the 2017 Australia & New Zealand wide plus also PNG & Fiji and still aim to crack a 20k average if the right groundwork is laid.

Play the right matches in the right locations and get governments/councils and businesses invested so it's to their benefit to promote the matches.

Latest posts