What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experienced USA outfit outclass Jamaica

The Partisan

Just watched the live stream.

46 - 6 in the end from memory.

Game played in wet conditions.

Obvious that the Hawks have a few experienced players in their ranks ( like former NRL player Junior Vaivai ?) but also the existence of Oz,NZ,UK players in the USA comp and the impact this has on the knowledge and skills of locals learning the game.

Give Jamaica a similiar situation and I'd say the game would be a lot more competitive.

Jamaicans never gave up. Just outclassed.

The Partisan

Obvious that the Hawks have a few experienced players in their ranks ( like former NRL player Junior Vaivai ?) but also the existence of Oz,NZ,UK players in the USA comp and the impact this has on the knowledge and skills of locals learning the game.

Give Jamaica a similiar situation and I'd say the game would be a lot more competitive.

48 - 6 actually. Vaivai with 3 tries and 8 goals.

Golden point

Juniors

I couldn't spot a Jamaican that even looked like a rl player.

The Partisan

I couldn't spot a Jamaican that even looked like a rl player.

I'd reckon if i did a tour of suburban grounds in Brisbane and Sydney hosting lower level teams I could say the same thing. They are amateurs running on less than a show string budget you know.

Pommy

Coach
The stream was utter garbage when I tried to watch.
What were the teams like? I assume all the Pom heritage players weren't released mid season for Jamaica, how close to a full US side was it?

Both sides were entirely domestic except for Vaivai. It highlights the two tiered situation in the game when heritage players are either included or not. It's worlds apart. If Jamaica had even a few poms today the result is probably reversed. If the USA had a few more heritage players they win by 80.

Golden point

Juniors
I'd reckon if i did a tour of suburban grounds in Brisbane and Sydney hosting lower level teams I could say the same thing. They are amateurs running on less than a show string budget you know.
Did you see the players? I've seen plenty of lower league and none looked as out of shape as the Jamaicans.

The Partisan

Did you see the players? I've seen plenty of lower league and none looked as out of shape as the Jamaicans.

Mmmmmm...watched the game ...so yes I saw the players ! Big call on the 'none looked as out of shape' reference ! This Jamaican residents dominated team is probably closer to a country pub team and so I think they can be forgiven if the odd player is not in tip top shape. They main issue is that they are playing our game and if the game prospers I'm sure improved fitness and skill levels will be a by product. Access to some players, coaches, support staff from a Tier 1 country would certainly help.

Golden point

Juniors
Mmmmmm...watched the game ...so yes I saw the players ! Big call on the 'none looked as out of shape' reference ! This Jamaican residents dominated team is probably closer to a country pub team and so I think they can be forgiven if the odd player is not in tip top shape. They main issue is that they are playing our game and if the game prospers I'm sure improved fitness and skill levels will be a by product. Access to some players, coaches, support staff from a Tier 1 country would certainly help.
Yes it certainly would. The plus side is that theyare far from thier full potential.
I think that the priority for international funding is that all international teams should receive top level coaching and conditioning . That should be the main focus imo

adamkungl

Immortal
Playing against better teams shows them where they need to improve to have a chance at the next WC. It's not like they had 80 put on them, not too far off the pace.