What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extending the 40/20 rule

8Ball

First Grade
I was wondering what other people think of changing the 40/20 rule to include all touch finders where the kick goes 40m.

Would lead to more open play, stopping the fullback from defending in the line, bring exciting wingers into the game, encourage more attack and less focus on completions and wrestling etc.

Thoughts?

Merit in the idea but would be hard to rule on though eg player kicks from "somewhere" between their 20-30m line.... is it 22 or 23 meters, and similalry where does it go over the sideline - 37m? 38m?

Would be another can of worms for the refs to take on...

Happy with the rule as. 40 m line is clear, as is the 20m. where it goes over the sideline can be a bit grey though for the touchie to rule on. Maybe whack a "corner"post up on the 20.

Surely

Post Whore
How about f**king the 40/20 right off, why should you be rewarded for kicking the ball out of play.

Barkley

Bench
-i1Rj5Ss9SjbHb4Ug1rwaiUisYPfphka3UwsopzWxGWve3i3IE6s4nfTUZJcY_8lRIE3rUUEDsVebSXdTvAomSNnvPeWuPMzv8lQgMwmCRFuuPIfnb5IN6futnnV8afz0N2uwzi4I96Dni8RU2vhWKY=w300-h168-nc

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This one would have too many problems in policing and it would only encourage more kicking (better not to turn the game into Union). However, some new rules LIKE the 40/20 to give full sets to teams within the 20m would be great.

Offer some opportunity for attacking teams to get a repeat set that they actually need to earn (not just hope for a knock-on for that opportunity).

A change like that would REALLY challenge the defensive/conservative approach most teams take these days/

Front-Rower

First Grade
Leave the 40/20 but have it valid only on tackles 1-3. I don’t agree that a team can pin an attacking side inside the 40 then because of a lucky bounce or good kick, to be fair, on the last, give up so much field position and be the ones under the pump.

Saxon

Bench
I was wondering what other people think of changing the 40/20 rule to include all touch finders where the kick goes 40m.

Would lead to more open play, stopping the fullback from defending in the line, bring exciting wingers into the game, encourage more attack and less focus on completions and wrestling etc.

Thoughts?
No!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
No thanks. 40/20's are rare game swinging plays. Make it any 40m kick and they become too common and just another way to artificially move teams into the attacking zone instead of encouraging them to play positive football to gain the advantage.

It's bad enough that teams spend half the game milking penalties to avoid taking any risk when moving up field, giving them an option to just kick the ball a certain distance would mean they take even less risk.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Care to explain this in English?

A 40/20 offers teams a full attacking set-of-6 inside the opposition 20m (most would agree, this is usually exciting football).

Similarly, we should offer other incentives with a similar result (If you achieve X, you get a full set beginning inside the 20m).

Currently, the only 2 ways of getting this is a 40/20 or a drop ball. The 40/20 is skill, but its also kicking, so f*ck it. The knock on is mostly luck, which isnt what RL is about (we dont give points for trying super hard like the VFL do).

If you offer a goal/achievement that demands a team run the ball and earns a team a full set 20m out from the opposition tryline, i can GUARANTEE less conservative sets and more exciting football...

T-Boon

Coach
We don't have to worry about 40/20 any more. I don't remember the last time I saw one. I don't consider it to be a part of the game.
Thankfully we have referees to create red zone opportunities now. Referees are the new play makers. They should wear the 7 on their jersey. Lets leave it at that.