What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 2017

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
red flagged the session. Wonder how keen Grosjean will be to ride that kerb in FP3 tomorrow.

Given that neither his car, or his driving caused that accident, can Haas seek some form of compensation to cover the costs they suffered?

Life's Good

Coach
red flagged the session. Wonder how keen Grosjean will be to ride that kerb in FP3 tomorrow.

Given that neither his car, or his driving caused that accident, can Haas seek some form of compensation to cover the costs they suffered?
There would be so many clauses associated with liability it would be hard to compensate. If anything the liability lies with the FIA who have track inspections prior to declaring the circuit open for racing (check guardrails, catch fencing etc.) This is also followed by track viewings through the weekend.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems a bit cruel to write something like that off as "shit happens"

That little f**k up has cost Haas a fair bit of coin you'd imagine.

Life's Good

Coach
I know that, I'm just saying it's a bit of a cruel financial hit
That is true. But the ultimate disclaimer is written on the entry ticket to every race, regardless of level - Motor racing is dangerous. If not, you would have teams suing each other because a driver had brain fade and crashed into another. Imagine the headache that would cause at Force India!

Parra

Referee
The compensation for Haas is that they are allowed to work on Grosjean's car overnight. Usually they are not allowed to touch the cars in parc ferme.

Life's Good

Coach
I know that, I'm just saying it's a bit of a cruel financial hit

https://joesaward.wordpress.com

Complicated matters
October 3, 2017 by Joe Saward
On Friday in Sepang, Romain Grosjean’s Haas hit a drain grille while running in the first free practice session. The grille was not properly secured (as it should have been) and it tore through Grosjean’s right rear tyre, sending him off the track and into the barriers at high speed. The car was extensively damaged. Normally racing teams are responsible for repairing any damage to the cars caused in any accident. Teams cannot claim against one another, but in this case it was rather more complicated than that. The circuit might be deemed to be responsible for the accident and thus would have to pay for the damage, although circuits and sanctioning bodies purchase specialized insurances to protect their interests.

But who is to blame for a badly-fixed grille? Is it the circuit, or is it the sanctioning body that cleared the circuit to be used? For F1 circuits the tracks are inspected by FIA officials prior to each event, to make sure that all is well. If the inspectors miss a bad weld, is it their fault? The FIA regulations relating to circuits recommend that the national sporting authority should make regular inspections of all facilities, as proper maintenance is a condition of the circuit’s licence. There is even a specific mention of drains in the FIA rules, which says that “drains should be cleaned, and inspected by the ASN for correct operation prior to major competitions”. But does that relate to the grilles or just to the drainage? And should the Malaysian national sporting authority pay, or should it be the circuit?

Clearly Haas does not feel it should be pay for the damage, which was estimated at about $750,000 and the team has raised the question of compensation.

“In my opinion, things like this in 2017 shouldn’t happen on a permanent circuit, they shouldn’t happen on any circuit,” team boss Gunther Steiner said. “This is, in my opinion, not acceptable. This is not up to the standards.”

No doubt the lawyers will sort it all out in the end…

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hamilton wins in Japan and the USA. Vettel is f**ked now.

Between his dumb act in Azerbaijan and the crash he instigated at Singapore, where he could very well have won both races, he'd be right in the thick of this battle.

If Vettel gets both those wins, he picks up an extra 38 points, which brings his deficit to Lewis down from 66 to a very achievable 28.

Life's Good

Coach
Hamilton wins in Japan and the USA. Vettel is f**ked now.

Between his dumb act in Azerbaijan and the crash he instigated at Singapore, where he could very well have won both races, he'd be right in the thick of this battle.

If Vettel gets both those wins, he picks up an extra 38 points, which brings his deficit to Lewis down from 66 to a very achievable 28.
Spot on. Vettel has had a bit of unreliability but he hasn’t helped his cause with those incidents you’ve mentioned.
I thought Verstappen was a little unlucky. I am fine with track limits needing be observed but drivers were abusing them the whole race yet Max got pinched. Ironically he may have overtaken Kimi anyway because he was running on vapours and cruised over the line.

Parra

Referee
Verstappen was dudded. Webber said it best - "shit decision"

I don't think Vettel would be really threatening Hamilton anyway. He did blow those two races - however reliability has got Hamilton home anyway. The Mercs are that good that HAM doesn't even have to push it like others have to do to try and catch him. He is a significant level above Bottas as well.

Life's Good

Coach
The gap between Hamilton & Bottas has really escaped scrutiny. Admittedly Hamilton will rightly go down as an all time great.
It sure puts in perspective the level Rosberg was at to push Hamilton and snatch a title. No wonder he was mentally wrecked & pulled the pin.

Parra

Referee
Max made that look easy. Hopped out of the car looking like he hadn't done a lap. Laughing on the radio and apologising for fastest laps - and then checking on a hot lap later to see if he had done it again. Wonderful.

Latest posts