What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faf du Plessis charged with ball tampering

Think we all agree a life ban is in order

I am wondering though, how will the umpires be able to tell whether Wade is deliberately roughing the ball up or just incompetent - perhaps the Australian selectors are on to something here, select a keeper that can't catch, more swing?

Because no one would pretend to be that geniused behind the stumps, even if it were to cheat.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
cool story - like I say, if you care to comment on something I actually said we can go from there

JJ

Immortal
Yeah and he got 0-150 because some mug on the other team kept rubbing a lolly on the ball.

Poor bloke.

I am wondering if that's the Goat's problem - Davey and Smiffy are chewing gum and shining the ball, the Goat's powers are gone

Bryce McGain may well have not seen anything like that. The cherry is usually rat shit by the time the spinners get their hands on it. I don't see why McGain and Dizzy can't both be right.

Ball tampering goes on at all levels. TBH I don't care if teams get away with it if they are covert about it, but if they get caught they should expect to face the consequences because it is against the rules.

Australians only have the shits because no merkin in our side can properly utilise reverse swing.

Faf doesn't use the lolly, and they still probably would have gone close to rolling us an innings up. Just a poor excuse for our dog shit performances.

JJ

Immortal
Bryce McGain may well have not seen anything like that. The cherry is usually rat shit by the time the spinners get their hands on it.

Ball tampering goes on at all levels. TBH I don't care if teams get away with it if they are covert about it, but if they get caught they should expect to face the consequences because it is against the rules.

Australians only have the shits because no merkin in our side can properly utilise reverse swing.

Yeah, I really don't understand what the huge deal is - as I've said, I just think if the ICC is serious they should be serious rather than ad-hoc - but we know that will never happen, and there would be outrage from India if this was Kohli - which it could well have been.

good that du Plessis can play, and he'll be given the ball an extra spit shine I am sure

I'm not upset they allowed him to play, by rubbing him out of the Test they're cheapening the game, the Aussies are playing like f**king park cricketers so why rob the fans of watching one quality side play.

Iafeta

Referee
Well Bryce McGain begs to differ. Only a few minutes ago he was on the ABC news and he got asked about it during his time in the Australian team and he said he never saw anything like that.

I certainly dont believe everyone does it, way too many cameras around now days, if you do it you'll get busted.

Faf said he didn't try to hide it as he thought it was OK, which I find pretty unintelligent especially due to the fact that he'd already been busted once before.

Who to trust - your captain, or a bloke whose sole experience in international cricket is watching his team mates walk up and down grandstand aisles trying to locate the ball under some patrons seat off his bowling...

Iafeta

Referee
OK, so you want to believe the international cricketer that suits you argument ?

gee what a surprise

if that's the case then, and everyone does it as you claim (rubbing lollies on the ball), do you believe the Kiwis cheat as well ?

Yes, undoubtedly. All teams do. And to a degree go for it. It's become such a batsman centric game these days

Iafeta

Referee
I drive over the speed limit. Never been caught though. Crime and punishment is never perfect.

To really answer your question, you should ask the guy who said all teams do the same. Your captain. I can't answer on his behalf.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Who to trust - your captain, or a bloke whose sole experience in international cricket is watching his team mates walk up and down grandstand aisles trying to locate the ball under some patrons seat off his bowling...

Yeh he only played one game but still plays at state level so he has a fair bit of experience. I'm not saying I agree with him I said he disagrees with what you said.

Truth be told we all work on the ball and in front of the umpires, we all rub sweat into the ball and the occasional sunscreen and technically that is ball tampering because its changing the condition of the ball but seems to be allowable. I never use lollies or anything like that as what little difference it may make is just not worth it for mine.

Yes, undoubtedly. All teams do. And to a degree go for it. It's become such a batsman centric game these days

I'd be surprised if all teams rub lollies on the ball but I cant speak for every team and like I said I just think Smithy was being diplomatic, but who knows.

I have to say tho I dont think Faf has handle it very well. He did it in front of the umpires and the camera and pleased not guilty on the basis that he thought there was nothing wrong with it, yeh he has already been convicted of ball tampering previously. He seems a slow learner.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
lol

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/faf-...ca-australia-lollygate-mint-hobart/2016-11-25

"Faf has decided to appeal the match referee's decision after he and his legal team had studied the written reasons provided by the match referee," CSA Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said.

"In his mind Faf is clear that he did not alter the condition of the ball nor did he intend to do so and that the match referee was not correct to find him guilty. He is understandably feeling aggrieved."

so why rub the ball Faf ?

Latest posts