What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fair Trading Question

___

Juniors
He had this guy come around to give us a quote for a fencing job between our house and the neighbour. He gave us a quote of $2100 and we accepted it. He came around, did half the colorbond frames only (if that) and said he'd finish the rest the following day. He never turned up.

We've already paid a $1000 deposit and he hasn't come back to finish the job. He's not returning or taking our phone calls either.

We contacted NSW Fair Trading and their automated response is 3-4 weeks until they get to our case.

My question is Fair Trading... what can they do in a situation like this? If he doesn't take our calls and doesn't take their calls and he has not office address listed, is there anything they can do?

The job I'm not too fussed about as he's already left all the colorbond frames behind as well as 10 bags of cement so the loss will probably only be $700 - but what can Fair Trading actually do to him?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a job for the small claims tribunal.

If he has left everything there, why dont you engage a handyman to finish the job, you may actually save money.

___

Juniors
Probably a job for the small claims tribunal.

If he has left everything there, why dont you engage a handyman to finish the job, you may actually save money.
He only left behind the frames and cement bags. He still needs to buy the fence panels - probably the most expensive thing. We won't be saving anything as a result.

Jono Russell

Bench
How didn't you find out about him?
Does he have an abn #
Does he have a business name?

Search everything u have on him through google, Facebook. He is sure to have a link to either himself or his business somewhere on the internet.

Find out as much as you can about him and know what you are up against.

I once had a guy scam me out of a mobile phone purchase. I was stupid enough to trust his word and the phone was faulty. All it took was a post on his FB wall and he finally contacted me back and admitted fault. He already spent my money but he did pay me back adventually.

There is always more the one way to skin a rabbit.

Good luck.

___

Juniors
How didn't you find out about him?
Does he have an abn #
Does he have a business name?

Search everything u have on him through google, Facebook. He is sure to have a link to either himself or his business somewhere on the internet.

Find out as much as you can about him and know what you are up against.

I once had a guy scam me out of a mobile phone purchase. I was stupid enough to trust his word and the phone was faulty. All it took was a post on his FB wall and he finally contacted me back and admitted fault. He already spent my money but he did pay me back adventually.

There is always more the one way to skin a rabbit.

Good luck.
We did find him through a company that lists the services they have available, and he was one of the services they had a contract with - the type of company that finds work for these people and assigns it to them. We contacted them, and they took him off their list, but that's about as much as they can do. He will have an ABN and all that stuff.

Just wondering though, how far can Fair Trading go in order to get him to actually either complete the job or pay us back. What can they do to force him to comply?

Jono Russell

Bench
I am not sure Fair trading can help you a great deal. I would assume they can investigate the matter and possibly put in an application to have the guys abn/licence cancelled.

This may put the fear of god into him and get him to do the right thing.

As for actually getting the job done or getting your money back. I think small claims court is the way to go.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
small claims court is your go to chase up the dodgy bugger.

although I'd also advise lodging a complaint with fair trading but listing this company who you engaged him through as a respondant. they would have a financial agreement with him in some way, shape or form, so they've profited from his job (either via a commission or via advertising fees)..

if nothing else it creates a nuisance for this company that may actually force them to be a bit more helpful towards the case..

___

Juniors
I am not sure Fair trading can help you a great deal. I would assume they can investigate the matter and possibly put in an application to have the guys abn/licence cancelled.

This may put the fear of god into him and get him to do the right thing.

As for actually getting the job done or getting your money back. I think small claims court is the way to go.
small claims court is your go to chase up the dodgy bugger.

although I'd also advise lodging a complaint with fair trading but listing this company who you engaged him through as a respondant. they would have a financial agreement with him in some way, shape or form, so they've profited from his job (either via a commission or via advertising fees)..

if nothing else it creates a nuisance for this company that may actually force them to be a bit more helpful towards the case..
Thank you guys, appreciate your support. Hopefully Fair Trading will advise us to go to small claims court if they can't do anything else.

Latest posts