What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans group takes over at the Red Devils

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope they have deep pockets or championship here we come for Salford. They cant survive on meagre gate receipts and sponsors

adamkungl

Immortal
The big question is whether they actually have enough fans to get their crowds up near the 10,000 mark.
What do they need to do to get people engaged?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Move?
Seriously Salford is a small suburb of Manchester and unlikely ever to draw big crowds when you see who they are up against within a 30mile radius. (5 SL clubs, 2 of the biggest sports clubs in the world, a Union club and number of championship soccer and league clubs)
They've got a new stadium so facilities are good, they've had a rich backer who tried to build a winning side, they've been in SL some time now. It doesn't look good long term for them sadly unless they can somehow find 7-10,000 fans willing to get behind the club.

roughyedspud

Coach
If I was from salford I'd be extremely pissed off if you said I was from a small suburb of Manchester..lol

As for the club...I'm trying to figure out if marwan has left the club massively in debt? The club was £3m in debt when he took over and where rumoured to be £8m in debt a few months ago...

Last edited:
If I was from salford I'd be extremely pissed off if you said I was from a small suburb of Manchester..lol

As for the club...I'm trying to figure out if marwan has left the club massively in debt? The club was £3m in debt when he took over and where rumoured to be £8m in debt a few months ago...
:mad:

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
For a club that has been privately funded, even before Dr. Koukash it will be interesting to see if there is fan interest that will see them survive, a few issues over the years has been the lack of transperancy, would a new group of owners have to pay any debts that the Doctor has left behind.
There was a story that one of the reasons that the Reds couldn't pull a crowd at their current location was the lack of accessibility, IE, it was off the beaten path with no public transport and they were confident with a new bypass it would make the ground more accessible, considering that they share the ground with another code is this fair dinkum or another excuse?.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the map it looks right next door to M60 and M62 and a stones throw from the Trafford centre. Cant be that far off the beaten track?

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
On the map it looks right next door to M60 and M62 and a stones throw from the Trafford centre. Cant be that far off the beaten track?

The story I heard/read was once the bypass had been done then the fans would be able to park at the Trafford Centre and walk across a bridge to go direct to the ground, so if the club shares the facilitities with the Sale Sharks RU side what difficulties do the RU mob have with the location?.

roughyedspud

Coach
Nobody is going from the Trafford center to the AJ bell!! Never have,never will..much in the same way manly fans won't cross the bridge..

Salford fans don't go cos it's in the middle of nowhere

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Nobody is going from the Trafford center to the AJ bell!! Never have,never will..much in the same way manly fans won't cross the bridge..

Salford fans don't go cos it's in the middle of nowhere

So they're pretty much fArKeD I guess, with their recent success they should have packed them in but by trying to be successful at times you alienate your original fan base, too late to back now I guess?...

adamkungl

Immortal
If you were building a 12 team franchised elite League from scratch.. would Salford make the cut? Probably not...

adamkungl

Immortal
To clarify, I'm not saying that's something that should be done. But I think it says a lot about Salford's future. To me they (and a few other clubs) are destined to live on the fringe of relegation/promotion until they are inevitably overtaken by wealthy expansion clubs.
An outward looking, proactive RFL would be courting expansion opportunities in big markets and at the same time making moves to build the Championship into a full-time league. So that when Super League does move beyond clubs drawing sub-5000 weekly attendances, it isn't seen as the sport abandoning the heartlands.

roughyedspud

Coach
Now the RFL have lost control of super league I hope they'll focus on the championship and giving it the exposure it deserves...

Latest posts