What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans Say: WA Reds logo

dimitri

First Grade
thats what i voted for.

they should use that for their official logo

then if they want - they can have the current more cartoony one for a junior -type logo for junior memberships etc

GAZF

First Grade
I thought I'd throw a second hat into the ring...

NRL-PER-00-300x205.gif

Full uniforms here: http://gazf.info/?p=1379

GAZF

First Grade
Comments on the logo itself?

I know the name is a sensitive issue but I can't stand the prevalence of "West/Western/..." around the NRL bids, WA really doesn't mean much to people outside of Australia either it could very well mean Washington to a foreigner or just "Wa" and "Western Australia" is an impractical mouthful. Perth is an underused name in sports, used only by the Glory and Wildcats as far as I know. Perth also represents the core of WA's population, the team plays out of Perth and would probably be focused mainly on Perth/Fremantle, given the remainder of the population is spread out geographically. I doubt that RL fans in Bendigo refuse to follow the Storm because their name is "Melbourne" as opposed to "Victoria". Anyway, thats my opinion on the name, if its not your thing then just imagine "WA" where "Perth" is.

I took a bit of a different angle with the colours, this is from the site.

I wanted something unique, bold and appropriate for the region. The colours consist of an orange-red, mimicking the colour of (parts of) a red kangaroo as well as the red sands of WA and a brown-maroon colour which I’m calling haematite, representing the significance of iron ore mining to the state.

I have a red/black/gold version of the logo on the stylesheet (for use in the heritage jersey):
NRL-PER-0.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Red Black Gold one looks good. The Red and Brown are too washed out looking for me. My only other issue would be is just having the head of a Roo enough to tell people what animal it is (outside of Oz of course)? Not that big an issue but a full bodied Roo with the trademark tail looks better imo.

re Perth Reds, that was the SL team name and still a very sore scab! No way they would use it again.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Comments on the logo itself?

I know the name is a sensitive issue but I can't stand the prevalence of "West/Western/..." around the NRL bids, WA really doesn't mean much to people outside of Australia either it could very well mean Washington to a foreigner or just "Wa" and "Western Australia" is an impractical mouthful. Perth is an underused name in sports, used only by the Glory and Wildcats as far as I know. Perth also represents the core of WA's population, the team plays out of Perth and would probably be focused mainly on Perth/Fremantle, given the remainder of the population is spread out geographically. I doubt that RL fans in Bendigo refuse to follow the Storm because their name is "Melbourne" as opposed to "Victoria". Anyway, thats my opinion on the name, if its not your thing then just imagine "WA" where "Perth" is.

I took a bit of a different angle with the colours, this is from the site.

I have a red/black/gold version of the logo on the stylesheet (for use in the heritage jersey):
NRL-PER-0.gif
Love it! The work you do on your website is awesome and surprised that clubs haven't asked for your input for designs.

I too would prefer the Perth Reds rather than the WA Reds, I think it sounds a lot better.

I'm not 100% sure with the sash on the home jersey, it seems too soccer/AFL'ish but do like the away jersey and the throwback jerseys.

NRL-PER-3.gif

AWESOME!

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Love it! The work you do on your website is awesome and surprised that clubs haven't asked for your input for designs.

I too would prefer the Perth Reds rather than the WA Reds, I think it sounds a lot better.

I'm not 100% sure with the sash on the home jersey, it seems too soccer/AFL'ish but do like the away jersey and the throwback jerseys.

NRL-PER-3.gif

AWESOME!

+1 your designs are ridiculously good, i'd rather buy some of the gazf jerseys than actual nrl ones. And i prefer the name Perth Reds too.

GAZF

First Grade
The Red Black Gold one looks good. The Red and Brown are too washed out looking for me. My only other issue would be is just having the head of a Roo enough to tell people what animal it is (outside of Oz of course)? Not that big an issue but a full bodied Roo with the trademark tail looks better imo.

re Perth Reds, that was the SL team name and still a very sore scab! No way they would use it again.

Maybe a larger contrast between the orange and brown (either a lighter orange or darker brown) might make it less muddy. I think I have a full body version of the logo somewhere but I personally found the head alone to balance better in the logo. Since kangaroos have small heads relative to their body its harder to produce a semi realistic logo with the body without losing detail in the head. I'll see if I can find it to show what I mean.

I'll concede the SL history but to me, at least, they were always named the "Western Reds". I don't live in Perth so its hard to gauge, but I'd guess the majority of future Reds fans wouldn't be so concerned over the name. But in the end, the choice of name comes down to what the club wants.

Goldthorpe

Bench
I'll concede the SL history but to me, at least, they were always named the "Western Reds". I don't live in Perth so its hard to gauge, but I'd guess the majority of future Reds fans wouldn't be so concerned over the name. But in the end, the choice of name comes down to what the club wants.
It didn't effect Brisbane Broncos, Canberra Raiders, Canterbury Bulldogs, Cronulla Sharks, North Queensland Cowboys or Penrith Panthers so I can't see how it will effect the 'Perth Reds'. I'm not phased which way it goes but I do prefer the Perth Reds, most of the non Rugby League public recognize the Perth Reds so the old Rugby League team.

Most of the media are saying Perth based franchise not WA based franchise - It might be small but I think Perth is the proper way to go.

Still undecided on whether it will be beneficial to stick with Reds or go with a completely new identity like the Perth Dugites, which is a snake based in Western Australia. At least I think it's a better name than Dockers or Glory which are quite disappointing.

GAZF

First Grade
Well I think alot of people were keen on my suggestion for Red & Old Gold, kind of similar to SF 49ers

Alex-Smith11.jpg

Unless NRL manufacturers change the material of jerseys I would say no to "metallics". On current uniforms an old gold would not have the sheen that an NFL uniform has due to the material not being reflective. Old gold would probably look like mustard.

GAZF

First Grade

Still undecided on whether it will be beneficial to stick with Reds or go with a completely new identity like the Perth Dugites, which is a snake based in Western Australia. At least I think it's a better name than Dockers or Glory which are quite disappointing.

All of the groundwork over the last few years has been done under the Reds banner plus the Red Kangaroo is a strong and unique moniker. As long as they differentiate from the Qld reds enough in terms of colours and logo (wont be a problem) I'd be inclined to stick with it.

GAZF

First Grade
Fullbody.gif

As you can see, the head looks tiny and the details get lost. Plus the logo is out of balance since a leaping roo has the diagonal profile.