What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans want expansîon to perth and brisbane

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
All very interesting.. ( not really) but my comment was in relation to the earlier posts about a Sydney and Non Sydney Conference...

Two Divisions/ Conferences Can't happen with 18 teams or more...

Any chance you could explain why two divisions can't work with 18 teams. Pretty simple maths imo. Two divisions of 9 teams. Each team plays the other 8 teams in their division both home and away (16 games total) they also play the other 9 teams (other division) once. Giving you a total of 25 games in the regular season.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I thought I made the point obvious already.

The amount of Games being played is not going to increase, and is much more likely to reduce to allow more breaks for Origin and Internationals...

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I thought I made the point obvious already.

The amount of Games being played is not going to increase, and is much more likely to reduce to allow more breaks for Origin and Internationals...

No you actually suggested there could be as few as 20 rounds per year and 3 or 4 byes..... How disjointed that would be. I might be on my own here but I hate the way the origin just f**kks the regular season. Gives you 4 or 5 games per round with teams depleted without their stars. Havn't been interested in origin since Wally was a wanker.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No you actually suggested there could be as few as 20 rounds per year and 3 or 4 byes..... How disjointed that would be. I might be on my own here but I hate the way the origin just f**kks the regular season. Gives you 4 or 5 games per round with teams depleted without their stars. Havn't been interested in origin since Wally was a wanker.

Yep... suggested 20,but I think initially they would drop to 22 games, so 3 divisions of 6 where you play the 5 teams in your division twice, and the other 12 teams once.

I think the players are keen to reduce workloads, and if they are serious about internationals in the post season every year, then reducing the number of games in the regular season would help getting the best players backing up.

Maybe you would prefer Origin as stand alone weekend games to alleviate the strain on the regular reason when players are out?

20 games would help.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yep... suggested 20,but I think initially they would drop to 22 games, so 3 divisions of 6 where you play the 5 teams in your division twice, and the other 12 teams once.

I think the players are keen to reduce workloads, and if they are serious about internationals in the post season every year, then reducing the number of games in the regular season would help getting the best players backing up.

Maybe you would prefer Origin as stand alone weekend games to alleviate the strain on the regular reason when players are out?

20 games would help.

All valid points re player burnout etc. but imo it's the individual clubs that pay the vast majority of the players wages and hence deserve the chance to have their star players playing to draw bigger crowds to their home games. The minute the nrl start basing the regular season on conserving the stars so they're ok for the token internationals at the end of the season .....ill start watching netball.

BuffaloRules

Coach
So playing internationals is "token" but you are keen to see the Sharks play combinations of the Raiders and Titans( and when they expand to 18 teams) Perth and the Brisbane Bombers home and away each year...

No, they will be in the other conference right?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Not sure what you're getting at but I'm sure if you offered the Broncos/cows/tits/bombers 6 derby's each year they'd be wrapped. Not to mention guaranteed home games v the Storm and warriors also. Don't see any losers with the Sydney/non-Sydney conference model.

God there is nothing more tedious than these threads that endlessly debate season and draw structure. People make all these claims with magical authority that "they will do this" or "they will do that" with absolutely zero clue as to what is happening. It's awesome the right noises are being made about Perth and unless you are privy to NRL and TV strategy documents then the speculation is idiotic.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
God there is nothing more tedious than these threads that endlessly debate season and draw structure. People make all these claims with magical authority that "they will do this" or "they will do that" with absolutely zero clue as to what is happening. It's awesome the right noises are being made about Perth and unless you are privy to NRL and TV strategy documents then the speculation is idiotic.

Chillax...It is the off season mate...

Maybe we should go to the Cave and put shit on Goodplayer instead right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm in favour of the 18 team, two conference 25 game season.

Only concern would be given the sydney and Brisbane centric media some teams are going to get very little media or tv interest if you have a nsw conf and other. Plus the extra impact of travelling on finances and player fatigue.

Maybe pick out the top sydney derbies and mix them up a bit. Maybe something like:

NRL East conference
Brisbane
GC
NQ
Brisbane 2
Roosters
Souths
St's
Sharks
Raiders

NRL West conference
Wests
Panthers
Bulldogs
Manly
Eels
Pirates
Warriors
Storm
Knights

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If they did decide on divisions, id just love to see the bitching and moaning of everyone that slightly disagreed with the group selection.

Half the people on here would have fits....

POPEYE

Coach
Bite the bullet, just have 12 teams including Perth consistently performing well playing each other twice, piss five of the Sydney teams off to strengthen the rest. Use the leftovers to make the State Cups stronger and let them keep the old timers happy . . . 20 years from now no-one will want to remember the shitfight it is now

carcharias

Immortal
Bite the bullet, just have 12 teams including Perth consistently performing well playing each other twice, piss five of the Sydney teams off to strengthen the rest. Use the leftovers to make the State Cups stronger and let them keep the old timers happy . . . 20 years from now no-one will want to remember the shitfight it is now

5 teams?

you've lost it.

oikee

Juniors
This might be right out of left-field, i would like to see the Sharks pack up their bags and move to Melbourne. The Melbourne Sharks as a second team.
All the cash that comes in for the property development would and can be used to grow the club and grass-roots.
Keep the sharks stadium, it could also be used for a new soccer team and as a feeder area for the new Melbourne Sharks team.
We are going to have to give Melbourne a second team sooner or later, why not do it now. What are we waiting for, the second coming, ? Might never happen.
You cant have a city of 5-6 million and only one team. It is madness in this country.

The NRL have to make the right calls and the tough calls.

The Great Dane

First Grade
This might be right out of left-field, i would like to see the Sharks pack up their bags and move to Melbourne. The Melbourne Sharks as a second team.
All the cash that comes in for the property development would and can be used to grow the club and grass-roots.
Keep the sharks stadium, it could also be used for a new soccer team and as a feeder area for the new Melbourne Sharks team.
We are going to have to give Melbourne a second team sooner or later, why not do it now. What are we waiting for, the second coming, ? Might never happen.
You cant have a city of 5-6 million and only one team. It is madness in this country.

The NRL have to make the right calls and the tough calls.

The Storm aren't cemented enough yet.

Placing a second team in Melbourne would probably just cannibalize the Storms support and create a situation similar to the Swans and GWS, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if we were willing to underwrite both clubs until they became stable, which could take decades. However I don't see why the NRL would take that route if they didn't have to as it's incredibly expensive and it's a terrible look for the sport.

A well thought out relocation plan similar to this might work to make a club in Adelaide possible a lot sooner, hell the NRL could place a team there in 2018 with extra grants from the NRL for relocating and a Sydney membership deal that gets members into all of their away games in Sydney.

siv

First Grade
We have a fundamental problems with expansion process

What structure should our competition have
- number of rounds
- will it be Australian or Asia-Pacific
- any regional team weekens the local domestic competition for 10-20 years
- whats better a NRL club, State League club or District competition for a new market
- should we consider a promotion rekegation approach for expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
None of those are problems, just questions that will be answered by a strong strategic visionary plan for the NRL's expansion over the next twenty years. If the NRL can deliver such a plan is what we are waiting with bated breath to see.

The Great Dane

First Grade
None of those are problems, just questions that will be answered by a strong strategic visionary plan for the NRL's expansion over the next twenty years. If the NRL can deliver such a plan is what we are waiting with bated breath to see.

We (the general public) will probably never know the NRL's full expansion plans, if they even design a plan for expansion that is.

If they do create a long term strategic expansion plan to grow the game and competition, the public will only see parts of the plan when it's necessary to show us.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up for a document describing the full extent of the NRLs expansion plans to be released if I was you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I realise that but some solid statements would be a good start. You can only string people along for so long before they go elsewhere.