What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell Parramatta Stadium - thanks for the memories..........

ash411

Bench
Great for Parramatta, not so great for Cronulla, Penrith or Manly.

Are you going to cull the Sydney teams based on location, ie proximity to the Sydney CBD or Parramatta, or are you going to do it based on viability?
I don't think Penrith will have trouble, Pepper Stadium is plenty big, no need to get rid of that.

Possible, like decades down the road perhaps, but not for a long while yet. Same with Shark Park (I'll always call it that) and Campbelltown, and WIN Illawarra, however I think Brookie will be done soon. Possibly Jubilee too.. Those smaller Park type grounds could be on borrowed time, as the value of the land gets higher..

Gronk

Staff member

Are you going to cull the Sydney teams based on location, ie proximity to the Sydney CBD or Parramatta, or are you going to do it based on viability?

Actually I am not Todd Greenberg.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

No just Penrith.

TheFrog

Coach
I don't think Penrith will have trouble, Pepper Stadium is plenty big, no need to get rid of that.
My feeling is that they should cover it, making it unique in Sydney. That would mean it gets much closer to its capacity more times every year.

Whether that could be achieved without having to tear it down and start again, I have no idea.

counterpuncher

Juniors
Probably my favourite Away venue to head to for a game in Sydney... remember first going out for the 7's as a kid in the late 80's.

Seemed the Dragons almost never got the chockies playing there (no matter where the teams were on the table) but it was always a good atmosphere at the ground and the pubs before the game. Hope things don't change too much

forward pass

Coach
I remember Paul McCartney did a concert at Parra Stadium. There were as many people sitting on the training field behind the ground as there was in the ground. Could hear it perfectly.

strider

Post Whore
We had the game ball ready to hand over to him in a glass case and he snubbed us !!
fist.gif
Well i can still recall the tousands of people yelling abuse at him, so tbh probably cant blame him

Suitman

Post Whore
FP, great thread.
I've been reading it since you started it.
Far too many memories to name them all. Pretty much all of what I've read reflects my memories as well, so no need for me to repeat it all.
All I can add is thank god the old girl is going. It really is a shithole now, even though fans like Manly and St George might beg to differ.
Great views and atmosphere, but the facilities have been outdated for a decade now. It shouldn't take half an hour to get a pie or beer when the stadium is just 2 thirds full like it does now.
Stadium expectations are different from 30 years ago, but at the same time, they can shove their WiFi up their arse and just make sure the place is a great experience for fans.

ash411

Bench
I remember Paul McCartney did a concert at Parra Stadium. There were as many people sitting on the training field behind the ground as there was in the ground. Could hear it perfectly.
I was there! My sister and I (with our parents) were on the footbridge that crosses the river on the northern end of the stadium.

They couldn't make us move, so they brought out the bagpipers to play loudly to try and drown out the concert.

We were not very nice to them.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I was there! My sister and I (with our parents) were on the footbridge that crosses the river on the northern end of the stadium.

They couldn't make us move, so they brought out the bagpipers to play loudly to try and drown out the concert.

We were not very nice to them.
That was just Mull of Kintyre, mate.

Gronk

Staff member
End of an era as Eels bid farewell to Parramatta Stadium

d02542b281c516e5c6b09066666390c6

Warren Thomson, Parramatta Advertiser
August 23, 2016 4:39pm

d02542b281c516e5c6b09066666390c6

IT HAS been the scene of some of their greatest triumphs but on Monday night the Eels will farewell Parramatta Stadium, their home of 30 years.

In a full circle moment, Parramatta will play St George Illawarra in the final match at the ground before it is demolished to make way for the 30,000-seat Western Sydney Stadium.

The Eels played the Dragons in the first game at the venue on March 18, 1986.

Eels fans packed out Parramatta Stadium to watch the first rugby league game at the venue.

Channel 9 rugby league commentator Ray Warren remembers calling the match.

Steve Sharp scored the first try and Peter Sterling put on a masterclass as the Eels went on to win 36-6.

“The whole thing was an experience. It was a magnificent occasion,” Warren said.

The stadium grew from the ashes of Cumberland Oval, after the oval grandstand was burnt down by Eels supporters following their first premiership win in 1981.

“I used to work at Cumberland Oval and what a god forsaken place that was, so when the new stadium was opened in 1986 it was great for fans and commentators,” Warren said.

“I love going there. You are always close to the game, which adds to the package and enjoyment.”

He also remembers being at Sterling’s final game at Parramatta Stadium in 1992.

dafabf555bb19d5c0a112314058157bf

Parramatta Eels great Peter Sterling helped lead the Eels to a premiership in 1986, the first year the club started playing games at Parramatta Stadium.
Sterling was crunched in a tackle by Western Suburbs player David Gillespie and suffered a career-ending shoulder injury.

Warren won’t be calling the game, but he is planning to attend it.

Former Eels boss Denis Fitzgerald was among the largest crowd to attend a game at the stadium – 27,243 – when the Eels took on South Sydney on August 17, 1986.

“The first game against St George was one of my highlights, as well as being in the record crowd in 1986 against South Sydney,” Fitzgerald said.

“The farewell games for the likes of Steve Price and Mick Cronin in 1986 as well as the farewells for Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless were emotional days, saying farewell to one-club heroes.”

f3c125000e10847b3278f93308de9aa6

Nathan Hindmarsh played the most games at Parramatta Stadium. Picture: Grant Trouville/Action Photographics
The hills were replaced by terraces in 2002, which limited the stadium’s capacity, but Eels fans continued to show up.

“When it is full, it’s pretty awesome seeing all the blue and gold fans and the crowd shouting the Parra chant,” Eels fan Troy Worner said.

“My first vivid memory of Parramatta Stadium was Brett Kenny’s last game in 1993.

“I also remember watching Eric Grothe Jr running the length of the field to score a try, and Nathan Cayless kicking a left-footed field goal to help us win a game against Newcastle in 2008.”

David Gower, who is in his third season at Parramatta, said the playing group wanted to give the stadium a fitting farewell.

“It will be a little bit sad in a way. It’s the end of an era,” he said.

“But the unwavering support we’ve had throughout this year despite everything that has gone on – we’re just looking forward to rewarding them at our last game at [the stadium].”

A parade of Eels greats, a tribute to Ken Thornett and a performance from Shannon Noll will be part of the commemorations to say goodbye to the stadium.

b02c46c194791dde4f6bff7047688c90

A packed Parramatta Stadium. Picture: Greg Parker/7News
IN 30 YEARS AT PARRAMATTA STADIUM

- Parramatta have played 343 games at the venue, winning 189 games

- A total of 15,332 points have been scored, including 2630 tries

- 5,031,798 rugby league fans attend games

- 2178 players took to the field

- Nathan Hindmarsh had the most appearances at the stadium (144)

- Luke Burt scored 926 at Parramatta Stadium, the most by any player

- Parramatta’s biggest win was a 74-4 thrashing against Cronulla in August 2003. Jamie Lyon scored five tries, which is the most tries in a game at the stadium

Statistics courtesy of David Middleton at League Information Services.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...m/news-story/d02542b281c516e5c6b09066666390c6