What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell Uate

I wish him him well.
He had the talent but needed to be taught how to play and needed good ball inside him.
Good luck Uate.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I blame Bennett. f**k you Wayne.
I don't recall Wayne force feeding Uate all off season until he started the season grossly overweight for a winger. If the club had it's time again, they should have signed him on what they did but only for 3 years. The 5 years seemed to have led to him slipping into a massive comfort zone.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I admit he was a favourite of mine and, when at his peak, was one of the best in the game.

I think that was largely on raw talent and natural ability but he is too much of a confidence player and his game is lost in his head more than anything. I also don't believe he was as defensively inept as many portrayed him to be...the work (or lack of it) inside of him more often that not left him regularly dealing with 2 and 3 on ones which made him the scapegoat rather than the defensive liability that some believe he is

In fairness, I believe he was showing solid form under Brown before he got banished to the lower grades - I don't blame Brown for making the long term call to make it clear he wasn't in future plans but he wasn't our worst senior performer this year when he did paly in the top grade.

I wish him well and hope he does find a new lease on confidence at Manly - I'd like to see his career not finish the way it has here.

The other thing that shines for me, more than anything else, was his relationship with the fans - at a club where nobody seemed to give a $hit about the fans, he was the first to the fence and the last to leave the field at EVERY home game I attended...on several occasions staff had to come out to get him back to the sheds because the coach wanted to go through the de-brief.

perverse

Referee
I admit he was a favourite of mine and, when at his peak, was one of the best in the game.

I think that was largely on raw talent and natural ability but he is too much of a confidence player and his game is lost in his head more than anything. I also don't believe he was as defensively inept as many portrayed him to be...the work (or lack of it) inside of him more often that not left him regularly dealing with 2 and 3 on ones which made him the scapegoat rather than the defensive liability that some believe he is

In fairness, I believe he was showing solid form under Brown before he got banished to the lower grades - I don't blame Brown for making the long term call to make it clear he wasn't in future plans but he wasn't our worst senior performer this year when he did paly in the top grade.

I wish him well and hope he does find a new lease on confidence at Manly - I'd like to see his career not finish the way it has here.

The other thing that shines for me, more than anything else, was his relationship with the fans - at a club where nobody seemed to give a $hit about the fans, he was the first to the fence and the last to leave the field at EVERY home game I attended...on several occasions staff had to come out to get him back to the sheds because the coach wanted to go through the de-brief.
Agree, I think he is a confidence player and it didn't help that he hasn't had any for years... but the other piece of the puzzle was probably Mad Dog. With a selfless centre that's just looking to put him over the line, he shone. Maybe he still could, but Gags priority has rarely, if ever, been to set Aku up... and they're both shit defenders, so that didn't help, either. I don't think Akus defence is as bad as made out here, either... but it ain't good. His work to improve his ability under the high ball went unrewarded, too... but he really fixed that up over the past 2 or 3 years. It was slow progress, but he got there.

When Mad Dog was inside Aku, he almost exclusively looked to put Aku in space. That doesn't account for his lack of ability to burst through the line in the middle of the field and whatnot, but it all added to his confidence that made him what he was early in his career. I miss that Aku, who knows when we'll see a game breaker that good in the red and blue again.

I think it's been a real shame how he's been ejected out the backdoor with zero fanfare. Our highest try scorer and gave us a lot of good memories, yet we couldn't even farewell him at the end of year presentations. Pretty sad, and (without knowing what went on behind closed doors) we should be a bit ashamed of ourselves as a club in how it eventually played out I think. I don't think there's a player still playing that has put as many smiles on my face as Aku Uate. Even though it went very sour, I still think he deserved a bit better.

Spot On

Coach
The cracks (and weaknesses) were starting to appear in 2012 and were highlighted by his SOO Game 2 performance. The weaknesses were never addressed and became part of the opposition's weekly game plan.

I'm one that could never pretend his defensive technique was anything but of the poorest standard. It was horrible a lot of the time.

That said, he obviously sniffed out and scored a huge amount of tries. However, needing to score more than you let in when you are on gazillions doesn't bode well long term as he has now found out.

Wish him all the best and hope T-Baz can change his head down attitude when things go a little wrong.

Jono078

Referee
Every time we let a good player of ours go, they always play in 5th gear on a consistent basis at their new club.

Or maybe it's just Manly... Kennedy, Perry, Uate..

Haffa

Yeah, that was some try. He needed to get out of Newy and I'm glad the change seems to have been a positive one for him.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Every time we let a good player of ours go, they always play in 5th gear on a consistent basis at their new club.

Or maybe it's just Manly... Kennedy, Perry, Uate..

He still has the same defensive flaws and will get found out by the better teams. But he is back to being close to the attacking machine he once was.

We did the right thing for both parties moving him on.

Old dog

Juniors
It's nice to see some positives for a player that has left and is back on top, he was/is a very exciting player, sure defence wasn't great but he could/can score a try

ImTheMan

Juniors
You can't judge individual players in teams the level of shit that the knights are sitting, I am a firm believer. Andrew

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
He really looked like her wasn't enjoying his footy over the last couple of years here. his body language on the field consistently demonstrated this.

Noname36

First Grade
I'm really happy to see him doing so well again. At his best there aren't many players around that are as good to watch as Aku, and he didn't leave in horrible fashion BJ, Tapine, the Sims boys, Rochow, Boyd, etc. did either so I have nothing against him.

I'm not even angry seeing him do well for another club. Both he and the club needed a change and im more than happy with Buhrer too.