What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fav 80's Saints Player?

1st & 10

Juniors
ahhh the 80's. On a dragons perspective it was split into two halves , bordered by GF day 3pm 1985 and the designated import rule.

The first half great red V passion.

The second half, also rans, smashed by the 88 expansion. The Knights got most of their players from Saints and Canterbury lower grade youngsters.

So who was your 80s bright spark

Mine, growing up - Glenn Burgess. The guy was the best bomb defuser since 1945.

Brad Mackay, just watching a young guy from the Brighton Seagulls make his way up the grades, the way it's designed

Como Connection

First Grade
ahhh the 80's. On a dragons perspective it was split into two halves , bordered by GF day 3pm 1985 and the designated import rule.

The first half great red V passion.

The second half, also rans, smashed by the 88 expansion. The Knights got most of their players from Saints and Canterbury lower grade youngsters.

So who was your 80s bright spark

Mine, growing up - Glenn Burgess. The guy was the best bomb defuser since 1945.

Brad Mackay, just watching a young guy from the Brighton Seagulls make his way up the grades, the way it's designed
Had a drink with Glenn two weeks ago at Tugun Surf Club.
Very interesting stories he had.
Nice guy.
CC

Frank Facer

First Grade
Steve Morris
Brian Johnson
Micheal O'Conner
Brad Mackay
Michael Beatie
Pat Jarvis
Chris Guider

I know that is 7

For those who have never heard of Chris Guider, he was a small hooker, with a big motor. He debuted in 1984. He was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease in 84 and retired from the game. He then joined the Church Of Scientology. I think Pat Jarvis introduced him to The Church Of Scientology. He then made a come back for us, attributing his return to the Church Of Scientology and regained his first grade position in 85, but he got injured that year and lost his first grade spot. When he recovered from his injury, he was brought back in under 23's. We made the grand final in all 3 grades that year. Guider played in the under 23's grand final, then came on as a replacement in reserve grade and then came on as a replacement in first grade. I am pretty sure he is the only player to have played in 3 grand finals in one day. In 1986 he actually captained us in a few games while Craig Young was out injured. I remember one game at Belmore, Guider played himself to exhuastion, the trainer an co brought out oxygen, with the oxygen mask for him while he was still on the field. Guider continued the game. He retired from the game prematurely in 1986, after playing only 37 first grade games, to devote his life to the Church Of Scientology. I never liked the Church of Scientology after that. Not many player have captained first grade teams with less then 35 games in first grade. I think that was a testament as to how good he was and how highly he was thought of by his peers and the coaching staff.

Last edited:
As a kid I couldn't decide who was my favourite player.... So I thought rather than get a jersey with the same number on the back and sleeves (yes numbers were on sleeves too at on stage) I could kill 3 birds with one stone so to speak. But I was still torn...I loved so many players for different reasons.
On one sleeve Pat Jarvis
On second sleeve Glen Burgess
On the back Steve Morris
The dragons were everything to me as a kid.
Young
Wynn
Watford
Johnston
Johnson
Beattie
O'Connor......
Great days......

Steve Morris
Brian Johnson
Micheal O'Conner
Brad Mackay
Michael Beatie
Pat Jarvis
Chris Guider

I know that is 7

For those who have never heard of Chris Guider, he was a small hooker, with a big motor. He debuted in 1984. He was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease in 84 and retired from the game. He then joined the Church Of Scientology. I think Pat Jarvis introduced him to The Church Of Scientology. He then made a come back for us, attributing his return to the Church Of Scientology and regained his first grade position in 85, but he got injured that year and lost his first grade spot. When he recovered from his injury, he was brought back in under 23's. We made the grand final in all 3 grades that year. Guider played in the under 23's grand final, then came on as a replacement in reserve grade and then came on as a replacement in first grade. I am pretty sure he is the only player to have played in 3 grand finals in one day. In 1986 he actually captained us in a few games while Craig Young was out injured. I remember one game at Belmore, Guider played himself to exhuastion, the trainer an co brought out oxygen, with the oxygen mask for him while he was still on the field. Guider continued the game. He retired from the game prematurely in 1986, after playing only 37 first grade games, to devote his life to the Church Of Scientology. I never liked the Church of Scientology after that. Not many player have captained first grade teams with less then 35 games in first grade. I think that was a testament as to how good he was and how highly he was thought of by his peers and the coaching staff.

Jesus, you had to bring up 85, I remember the sign in the stands "2 down one to go".
Still waiting for that one.

Guider was a good player though, didn't know he joined the science fiction writers cult.

1st & 10

Juniors
As a kid I couldn't decide who was my favourite player.... So I thought rather than get a jersey with the same number on the back and sleeves (yes numbers were on sleeves too at on stage) I could kill 3 birds with one stone so to speak. But I was still torn...I loved so many players for different reasons.
On one sleeve Pat Jarvis
On second sleeve Glen Burgess
On the back Steve Morris
The dragons were everything to me as a kid.
Young
Wynn
Watford
Johnston
Johnson
Beattie
O'Connor......
Great days......

Yes, we had the sleeve numbers until the sleeve sponsor, which we started 1989 - 1990

1st & 10

Juniors
Mick Beattie

Real estate man in Miranda I last heard. Brad Mackay a fireman in Sutherland
Guider church of Scientology, Jarvis and Young police officers, Wynn (great guy) wine distributor for penfolds (he can still knock them back)

All great guys, other than Young who has the personality and smarts of a 8x4 plywood

Last edited:

1st & 10

Juniors
Steve Morris
Brian Johnson
Micheal O'Conner
Brad Mackay
Michael Beatie
Pat Jarvis
Chris Guider

I know that is 7

Yes, Chris Guider the only man to ever play three grade grand finals in one day.

We were the best team by far in 85. Minor premiers in all three games.

I loved Roy Masters, but I remember thinking we willl lose. Two main reasons Kevin Roberts the referee and no fresh reserves !!!! And Mortimer playing to Burgess strengths, bombing him in goal more than a B--17 . Back then it was a drop out, even if caught. That GF changed the rules

Kinchela also had no right being in first grade that day. We had so much 3/4 depth that year

Latest posts