What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Energy Drink

What's your go to energy drink?

• Total voters

Misanthrope

Staff member
Unabashed fan of V here, although the local Video Ezy sells Mother at $2 a 500ml can, so that's what I end up buying in bulk.

Frosty Berry 'ain't half bad.

Used to be a fan of Red Eye when I worked retail, especially Red Eye Platinum and Red Eye Passion - which apparently had an aphrodesiac in it. I never asked people if they had FlyBuys with a bar on though.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
love red eye platinum. will choose above all.

8523873.jpg

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Did you ever try Passion?

I haven't seen it since 2005 or so :lol:

yep.. tried them all.. a servo near me sold the entire range..

passion wasn't bad, but found myself drifting to platinum most of the time, followed by the green one (can't remember what flavour that was).. followed by original..

i remember when they first came out, someone said they were good for road trips... and i was doing a road trip down to melbourne for my uni internship, so i bought one..

never ended up drinking it, get to melbourne (day before i start my internship) and was in my dodgy little hostel room, heading to bed but feeling rather thirsty..

not wanting to head out into the common area to get a drink, i remember i have that bottle of soft drink in my bag (not knowing exactly what they were..) and drank that to quench my thirst..

cue to me lying there staring at the ceiling for the next few hours, not being able to sleep..

led to a rather drowsy first day of internship.. :?

McLovin

Staff member
Haven't had an energy drink since I started trying to eat and drink healthy... so about 3 months. Used to smash down 3 or 4 daily.

My favourite was/is Monster (original). Had a sweet taste to it and didn't leave as much of an aftertaste as others. Went down a charm.

Tried Shark energy drink when they sponsored the Sharks. That was pretty much cordial. Watery rubbish.

V, Redbull, Mother... all tastes like satans sweaty balls. Mother especially...

Misanthrope

Staff member
To be honest, I don't really notice any trouble falling asleep when I drink them. I think I mostly just like to have one after breakfast when I get my mid-morning/mid-afternoon drowsiness.

Whatever is the cheapest. Usually go Red Bull Zero or Sugar Free Mother.

They aren't really that bad for you if you take away all the sugar.

Red Bear

Referee
They are entirely rank and give me flashbacks to nightshift at a service station

edit - I drink coffee, but that's a bit different IMO (although very much a function of a caffiene addiction).

Nuke

Staff member
Whichever energy drink is the cheapest at Woolies / Coles when I'm out of them!
I have never had a coffee in my life, so I can only comment on the energy drinks themselves. I usually only have one per week, but will on the odd occasion have a 2nd on another day.

I work in aged care as an allied health worker (activities, games, bus trips, ect ... the fun stuff!). In general, if I'm sitting still for more than 45mins or so, I'm asleep. TV watching is a short affair in the evenings!!
Anyway, after lunch on a Wednesday afternoon, it's Bingo time ... and I'm the caller. It goes for nearly an hour-and-a-half. Of me sitting still. Calling numbers (which in itself can be like counting sheep at times!). Once I nearly drifted off to sleep mid-game. That was about 8 or 9 years ago, and ever since then, I've had a V (as they're usually the cheaper of the regular-sized cans ... I don't go for those massive cans) at lunch time.

I, too, have also found I have no trouble sleeping after drinking one at night (I tested myself), as I find the drinks only get me back to a normal level of energy. I don't get hyper, but I suppose I probably would if I had a few per day, or drank one when I was wide awake and full of energy (why would I drink one in that instance anyway?!). They last about 3hrs for me, which is perfect timing for my day's regular activities!

So, to answer the original question more directly, the ones I have / prefer the most are:
V (any colour, but green or blue are the more common)
Mother
Red Bull

There used to be another one years ago, I think it might have been a Woolworths el cheapo type brand, that was alright too ... but I haven't seen it in a long time!

Johns Magic

Referee
My go to in HK, BullWild

60.jpg

Good taste, cheap, pretty concentrated (160ml per bottle) so you don't feel bloated like those 500ml energy brands.

There was a slight poisoning scandal in China last year but given it was an extortion attempt on the company I'm willing to give them a pass...

Misanthrope

Staff member
purple mother

Drinking one of those as I type.

My go to in HK, BullWild

60.jpg

Good taste, cheap, pretty concentrated (160ml per bottle) so you don't feel bloated like those 500ml energy brands.

There was a slight poisoning scandal in China last year but given it was an extortion attempt on the company I'm willing to give them a pass...

I really hope I can find something like that on the mainland. The best I found in my previous 2.5 years was their uncarbonated, syrupy attempt at Red Bull. It did absolutely nothing for me.