What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fewest wins in a season (NRL era)

Sleep

Juniors
The Magpies team of 99 is still worse. They nearly conceded a 1,000 points in a season. That's insane. They had forty dropped on them on AVERAGE week in and week out. Holy f**k.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I think Brown has got off lightly with the media on how the knights have performed. Sure he has a young side but he's not the first to have that. Last time I looked being young didnt mean you couldnt tackle.

But Brownie is a nice bloke blah blah blah.

Yes its a young side and there have been young sides before but how many have debuted 11 kids in one season. 11

Add to this the horrific injury record along with having the most suspensions of any other club in the comp for 2016

Its f**king dire but like CH said, there arent any coaches that could have done better with what was presented for 2016

Noname36

First Grade
1 win in a season isn't struggling. 1 win in a season means the defibrillator is on and the priest is on his way.

Too many excuses. 1 win is 1 win never mind how young they are, how many origin players they have etc.

You have absolutely zero idea what is going on at the Knights clearly. Absolutely zero.

It's not that they're young. They've used 35 players and 11 debutants. The side is chopped and changed constantly, most of the senior players have been out injured all season and the ones that haven't are plain shit).

You seem to equate number of wins alone as your measure. What if the side had gone onto win a few of the really close ones they should have won this year and would have with a bit more experience? Would that have automatically made them less shit that they are now in your eyes?

No.

Oh but I bet excuses blah blah blah but I don't care. My club has been left in an absolute horrendous postion and anyone that thinks Nathan Brown is the issue is off their rocker.

Card Shark

Immortal
I think Brown has got off lightly with the media on how the knights have performed. Sure he has a young side but he's not the first to have that. Last time I looked being young didnt mean you couldnt tackle.

But Brownie is a nice bloke blah blah blah.

As a said to a Knights mate after yet another loss on Sunday (that he attended), the Knights have accepted losing & will continue to do so until they don't accept it.

They should've got more than 1 win, their roster isn't that bad. Senior players have been poor really.

Souths won 3 in 2006.

Made the 8 in 2007.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Yes. The Knights have been deplorable levels of shit at times but lot of guys have given it a crack.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You have absolutely zero idea what is going on at the Knights clearly. Absolutely zero.

It's not that they're young. They've used 35 players and 11 debutants. The side is chopped and changed constantly, most of the senior players have been out injured all season and the ones that haven't are plain shit).

You seem to equate number of wins alone as your measure. What if the side had gone onto win a few of the really close ones they should have won this year and would have with a bit more experience? Would that have automatically made them less shit that they are now in your eyes?

No.

Oh but I bet excuses blah blah blah but I don't care. My club has been left in an absolute horrendous postion and anyone that thinks Nathan Brown is the issue is off their rocker.
I'll get you some tissues. Your club was left in a horrendous position because they chose to take the option of quick cash from a notoriously unreliable source and decided to splash that cash around on players and a coach for glory.

Now some Newcastle fans want to blame the past administration and tpas and ignore the fact that Brown, a failed nrl coach in his previous stint has led this side to a 1 win season.

But keep believing in brown and keep proving that you have zero idea.

As a said to a Knights mate after yet another loss on Sunday (that he attended), the Knights have accepted losing & will continue to do so until they don't accept it.

They should've got more than 1 win, their roster isn't that bad. Senior players have been poor really.

Roster isn't that bad? Are you kidding me?

Our current roster wouldn't make the top 8 in nsw cup ffs.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yes its a young side and there have been young sides before but how many have debuted 11 kids in one season. 11

Add to this the horrific injury record along with having the most suspensions of any other club in the comp for 2016

Its f**king dire but like CH said, there arent any coaches that could have done better with what was presented for 2016
Excuses. Many teams have had horrendous injury tolls including penrith over the last two years. Many have blooded youngsters as well. But none of these sides have only won 1 game. You can paint it anyway you like, if only we won more close ones, if only we didnt have injuries. Still 1 win. Still 17 losses straight.

And still its not Browns fault.

Card Shark

Immortal
Roster isn't that bad? Are you kidding me?

Our current roster wouldn't make the top 8 in nsw cup ffs.

Yes you would - you have better players than you think. They just need experience & the older guys to guide them better.....& not accept losing no matter how bad the roster may appear.

adamkungl

Immortal

This is a bit of a contradiction. The senior players being shithouse is exactly the problem with their roster.

Now some Newcastle fans want to blame the past administration and tpas and ignore the fact that Brown, a failed nrl coach in his previous stint has led this side to a 1 win season.

Disagree with the "failed nrl coach" assessment. His results at St George could have been better, certainly, but he certainly showed enough as a very young coach to suggest he had a future. His results in SL prove it.
As I said earlier, next year is a make or break season for him.

There have been coaches this year who have performed far worse with far more quality at their disposal - Mcgregor and McFadden. (You could argue Trent Robinson too obviously, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for 1 year due to the turbulent circumstances we've dealt with).

adamkungl

Immortal
Yes you would - you have better players than you think. They just need experience & the older guys to guide them better.....& not accept losing no matter how bad the roster may appear.

Experience comes with time and the older guys are either injured or simply not up to it. Neither issue was rectifiable within 1 season.

Noname36

First Grade
I'll get you some tissues. Your club was left in a horrendous position because they chose to take the option of quick cash from a notoriously unreliable source and decided to splash that cash around on players and a coach for glory.

But keep believing in brown and keep proving that you have zero idea.

Yes the club made some poor decisions with the Tinkler/Bennett stuff in hindsight. But how the hell is that Brown's fault lol?

And Brown a failed NRL coach? As a very young coach he mostly built a squad that won a premiership a couple of years after LOL.

Noname36

First Grade

What makes you so sure that they've "accepted losing"? Because they're losing?

mozza91

Coach
Most Knights fans are blind in their praise for Brown. Granted we have the worst squad in the comp and a buttload of injuries and suspensions but we absolutely should have of won at least a few more games, say 4 or 5.

Brown may be the right coach to rebuild us ongoing, this isn't a squad that he assembled and he deserves the right and the time to assemble his own team, but statements like 'no other coach could've done any better' is bullshit. He chose to get rid of Tapine. He chose to drop Uate and Stockwell despite them being infinitely better than those he replaced them with. He chose to play Brock Lamb injured at Campbelltown earlier this year costing us any chance of winning the game and ending Lamb's season in the process.

I don't believe any coach could of got us off the bottom of the table with our squad and all the shit that's occured but Brown has done a bad job for us. He said that we'd see improvement by the end of the year he also said he worked on tightening up our defence. He's failed at both.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Haha jesus

The Knights have horrific salary cap issues. I gave sticky a chance when he stepped in after the furner meltdown in 2013 so brown should get a go. Yeah its a bad year but they have an awful squad.

Besides brown tipped off sticky to josh hodgson. He is alright by me

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Brown deserves a go next season but he seems to be immune to criticism because he's got a lot of mates in the media.

People can screw it around any way they like: 1 win in a season is still 1 win.

Good luck to the knights next year.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Excuses. Many teams have had horrendous injury tolls including penrith over the last two years. Many have blooded youngsters as well. But none of these sides have only won 1 game. You can paint it anyway you like, if only we won more close ones, if only we didnt have injuries. Still 1 win. Still 17 losses straight.

And still its not Browns fault.
Mate, id really like to know if any other NRL club has ever debuted 11 players in the same year. I'd be be surprised if it has ever happened in the NRL era

Most Knights fans are blind in their praise for Brown. Granted we have the worst squad in the comp and a buttload of injuries and suspensions but we absolutely should have of won at least a few more games, say 4 or 5.

Brown may be the right coach to rebuild us ongoing, this isn't a squad that he assembled and he deserves the right and the time to assemble his own team, but statements like 'no other coach could've done any better' is bullshit. He chose to get rid of Tapine. He chose to drop Uate and Stockwell despite them being infinitely better than those he replaced them with. He chose to play Brock Lamb injured at Campbelltown earlier this year costing us any chance of winning the game and ending Lamb's season in the process.

I don't believe any coach could of got us off the bottom of the table with our squad and all the shit that's occured but Brown has done a bad job for us. He said that we'd see improvement by the end of the year he also said he worked on tightening up our defence. He's failed at both.

You make some decent points and it leads to Browns real priorities this season and winning games at all costs was clearly not at the top of the list. He moved players in and around the squad looking for who could cut it where. Effectively this year was a 26 week trial period.

Like you said, we were coming last this season no matter what so at least getting some young guys some FG experience and flicking the overpaid muppets means the pain was not wasted

The real test comes with what happens next year. The club can't afford another year like this one, the crowds and $$ will go south quickly, so it needs to be a decent upswing in results

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Brown deserves a go next season but he seems to be immune to criticism because he's got a lot of mates in the media.

People can screw it around any way they like: 1 win in a season is still 1 win.

Good luck to the knights next year.

Haha one could say thr same thing about sticky who avoided criticism in our two year rebuild.

That can be a good thing in moderation. If we were still stinking it up this year and the press was giving stick a pass id be annoyed.

I guess for the knights its a question of how long should brown have before its his mess.