What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FFB book thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
lol imagine the let down when you find out your role is as the most boring no powered character yet.

There's one completely powerless role. I look forward to the reaction of whoever draws it.

senses, I've just started Path of Daggers. Got a ways to go.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Stick with it. Rand becomes something incredible, and the way Sanderson picks up the torch and brings it crashing home is very well done considering he was left with it to finish. When the ogier turn up at tarmon gaidon I got the sweats in the middle of January in Baltimore, sitting at the brewers art.

If I'd known you were headed here last year would have liked to have a pint. Was actually in Florida on July 4 as well - west palm beach.

Misanthrope

Staff member
lol imagine the let down when you find out your role is as the most boring no powered character yet.

Stick with it. Rand becomes something incredible, and the way Sanderson picks up the torch and brings it crashing home is very well done considering he was left with it to finish. When the ogier turn up at tarmon gaidon I got the sweats in the middle of January in Baltimore, sitting at the brewers art.

If I'd known you were headed here last year would have liked to have a pint. Was actually in Florida on July 4 as well - west palm beach.

I'm really enjoying it this time around. I read up to Lord of Chaos in high school, but got distracted by Stephen King and forgot almost everything I'd read by the time I started from Eye of the World this year. It's not Game of Thrones, but I'm still enjoying the experience.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I'm really enjoying it this time around. I read up to Lord of Chaos in high school, but got distracted by Stephen King and forgot almost everything I'd read by the time I started from Eye of the World this year. It's not Game of Thrones, but I'm still enjoying the experience.

I'd been reading it for 20 years. It's simply bigger than GoT, just a huge world that has so much detail and history. A shame Jordan is dead, there were many more stories that could be told.

afinalsin666

First Grade
How does wheel of time stack up against the riftwar saga? Been meaning to read them eventually, just a pain finding the early ones from used book places. Can't read digital either, just throws me out of it.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Completely different, far more intricate and drawn out IMO. Not a negative comment on rift war, just different styles of storytelling.

Dutchy

Immortal
I'd been reading it for 20 years. It's simply bigger than GoT, just a huge world that has so much detail and history. A shame Jordan is dead, there were many more stories that could be told.

Wooo ease up. Start from the beginning. I've been looking for something new to read.

Author, series, genre etc

Monk

Referee
Terry Goodkind, The Sword of Truth, Fantasy

^ My favourite book series, blew my mind tbh.

butchmcdick

Immortal
If you want fast fun zombie fiction try the 'newsflesh' trilogy by Mira Grant.

If you want try fun zombie fiction try reading Mort by Rod Redux

This book follows the story of Mort, an overweight comic book shop owner. He is thrown into the mad world of zombies and finds himself totally unfit for the challenges of surviving against a world full of brain eaters. Luckily for him he quickly meets up with Peter Bolin who has the brawn while Mort provides the brains. The author has tried to add a bit of spice to the zombie genre with the addition of angles into the mix. I was unsure of this element of the story but I did grow to like it, although it didn’t really do a great deal to revamp the zombie storyline.

There is nothing groundbreaking here and it’s not a work of art. But what it is..... is enjoyable. What made this so different from The Great Fall is that I quickly formed an attachment to the characters and the relationship between Mort and Pete became the main hook that carried me from page to page. The seemingly mismatched pair made a great little double act. The whole zombie plague became just a backdrop for the interplay between these two characters. This is a buddy book and dare it say a heart warming story. The friendship forged through the zombie outbreak is the masterstroke of this novel. The writing style is OK but I must admit that there lacked a certain atmosphere one expects from the undead. At no time did I feel the dread I remember from my first encounters with this genre. Instead of a horror story you get a character driven tale that just happens to be set during a zombie apocalypse

The book does deal up a few disturbing scene including zombie rape, but this only added to the slightly goofy storyline. The twist in the end was unusual, although I did guess it before it was revealed. All in all an enjoyable light read that won’t strain the IQ but will put a smile on your face. If you have a few hours spare then you could do a lot worse than read this.

I give it 4 stars

http://www.darkissreads.com/2011/04/tale-of-two-zombies.html

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Read The Black Company. Great, gritty, and magi /fantasy light in the same vein as GoT. Lot of grey are a characters and deaths. Short novels too.