What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifita

taipan

Referee
I'll bet there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, by certain Telecrap journos and a couple of Snoring Herald ones, the moment he planted the pill down (despite 5 defenders)on the line.

They were probably crapping in their delicates,that he would get the Churchill medal.

Putting it in a civil manner which is part of my approach.His try at the vital moment, was a one fingered salute to those hypocritical journos who played public moral crusaders,in their never ending stories to skewer the guy.

Card Shark

Immortal
Dropped? For performance on or off the field?

Don't know too many wanted him dropped - plenty wanted him to pull his head in though.

Which he did later in the year & look at the results.

Card Shark

Immortal
I'll bet there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, by certain Telecrap journos and a couple of Snoring Herald ones, the moment he planted the pill down (despite 5 defenders)on the line.

Yeh, it was killing them.

Madsharkie

First Grade
We had some great performers this year but that try in such a crucial time against the odds, when 80,000 fans had their heads down, was simply sensational.
My head wasn't down. That's what was really weird about this year... when we went behind I looked over at the clock and thought 'we've still got 15mins left, we're the better team, we got this'! Cometh the hour, cometh the Fif!

Card Shark

Immortal
Maybe I exaggerated - not everyone's head went down but most did.

All the people behind me went silent when Melbourne hit the front.

Took 'em a few minutes to liven back up....then the legend scored!

taipan

Referee
Head down?.Well yeah in a way it was , 9 minutes before the end ,went for an extremely nervous p*ss.

Went back to my seat ,and still 3 minutes to kill.I counted every one of those 180 seconds ,and the last 30 seconds seems to take 5 minutes.Worse than the 50 year wait.Clocks should never have been invented.

One thing I loved was the bus trip back to the Shark's stadium.Never in my life have I enjoyed a road trip from Homebush to Woolooware,it could have taken 3 hours I couldn't give a rats a*se.When you are on a high,even polished turds look appealing.

Last edited:

Pig Champion

Juniors
The first Storm try hushed the crowd a bit but the second one really hurt. Fortunately maniacs across the crowd got chants and noise happening again. Apart from the fact that it put them ahead I feel they needed that try to shut us up. It almost worked but some legends in the crowd, Maloney, Ennis and of course Fifita put paid to that.

fizzgig

Juniors
I was at the game. After the second Storm try by Chambers my brain went into mental self-preservation mode and I don't think I "woke up" for weeks.

I think I've sat through too many bad late losses I feel I have some form of PTSD (not trying to trivialize the real condition).

I felt like the Fifita try was 15 minutes or so after then with them in the lead the whole time.

I finally woke up a week or so ago when I made myself watch the game again, apparently they only had the lead for 5 minutes game time before Fifita's amazing try!

I was in Sydney over the weekend so took the family to see the trophy at the club, amazing! :)

Fizzgig

coolumsharkie

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-medal-to-michael-ennis-20161103-gshk3k.html --- more here.

"They have thrown him under a bus, put it in reverse and then gone over him again," the statement said. "Leading into the grand final, Andrew was not in a good head space. He was told his contract could be ripped up, was panicking and went into a bit of depression. It didn't show [on the field] because he played so well but he was emotionally wrecked up until the grand final.

1478201591914.jpg

Fifita and his inspiration Michael Ennis embrace after winning the 2016 NRL grand final in October. Photo: Getty Images
"It is about his welfare … all he wants is to get closure. We have had to consider other things but only in case he loses his registration. If that doesn't happen, he isn't going anywhere. He likes the coach, the club and his teammates."

A rugby league official suggested Fifita take a rugby union sabbatical while his career remained in limbo. However, the former Tiger would only consider the 15-man code if he was unable to play in the NRL.

Fifita's management has been disappointed by comments made by ARLC chairman John Grant calling for the front rower to "start behaving like an adult".

"The officials wouldn't even make time to see him after we had attempted to meet, but then he is told to grow up," the statement said. "We want the issue resolved because it has caused Andrew serious mental health issues and we need to know where he stands."

The statement also clarified the reasons behind Fifita's decision to visit Loveridge while he was in jail.

"[Loveridge's] parents rang Andrew because Andrew knew him, their son was in jail, was depressed and thinking about committing suicide himself," the statement said. "Andrew went and visited him with another person on the request of his family. Now he has a wife and family at home wondering each day when a decision will happen on his future."

Mention was made of the support from the Sharks, particularly coach Shane Flanagan.

"He was in an emotional state in the four weeks leading up to the grand final," the statement said. "The state he was in – he was having meltdowns before the games – he shouldn't have been there, let alone played so well."

Un f**king believable!!!

Card Shark

Immortal
The double standards in rugby league astound me.

What has he really done wrong?

The message on his arm was a private / cryptic message until the press made it public.

Going to the gaol was requested of him...what happens if he says no & the kid ends up hanging from a bed sheet. He had little choice but to go!

shaggs

Coach
"[Loveridge's] parents rang Andrew because Andrew knew him, their son was in jail, was depressed and thinking about committing suicide himself," the statement said. "Andrew went and visited him with another person on the request of his family. Now he has a wife and family at home wondering each day when a decision will happen on his future.

Told you this almost word for word, a day or two after it all came out.

coolumsharkie

Referee
It's obvious from everyone bar the NRL, that the ones who have made the "bad choices" and need to grow up are the f**king numbskulls that drive the Integrity unit bus.

What if A Fifita harms himself?? Will the truth come out then or will the silence continue?

f**kwits of the highest.

Madsharkie

First Grade
I think there could be a lesson in it for us.

Imagine if we had sent a press release or got a journalist involved BEFORE he visited KL in gaol... then it gets some positive media exposure about the great work he's doing to help rehabilitate an inmate and friend.

The stupid thing is that the only difference between this 'ideal' scenario and what actually occurred, is the media's involvement. He still visited an inmate and positively helped to rehabilitate him.

This type of thing is why Lyall is so big on keeping the media involved, when most of us just want them to piss off.

So why didn't the 'ideal' scenario occur on this occasion? There's our lesson to learn...

Agreed Cardy. Flabbergasted, even. Visiting a friend in prison is a positive thing to be commended for. As you say, the message on his arm was private and cryptic. In no way does it support any criminal activity. How the NRL can twist this around to the point that even supposedly sensible RL supporters, some Sharks fans no less, join in with this petty minded boo-boys chorus is just beyond me.

I for one would give Fifita or anybody else a big thumbs up for making the time to visit a friend in dire straits. If there is more to the story, as some have insinuated, the NRL should do some growing up themselves and speak up about it.

I think there could be a lesson in it for us.

Imagine if we had sent a press release or got a journalist involved BEFORE he visited KL in gaol... then it gets some positive media exposure about the great work he's doing to help rehabilitate an inmate and friend.

The stupid thing is that the only difference between this 'ideal' scenario and what actually occurred, is the media's involvement. He still visited an inmate and positively helped to rehabilitate him.

This type of thing is why Lyall is so big on keeping the media involved, when most of us just want them to piss off.

So why didn't the 'ideal' scenario occur on this occasion? There's our lesson to learn...

Excellent thinking. 10/10

“He has never wanted to leave rugby league or Cronulla,” the statement said. “It was only that it appeared his contract would be ripped up that he had to consider plan B. It had nothing to do with the Clive Churchill medal or his omission from the Kangaroos squad.

“We have had to consider other things but only in case he loses his registration. If that doesn’t happen, he isn’t going anywhere.”

Sounding like he's sticking with the club

Arnold

Juniors
It's obvious from everyone bar the NRL, that the ones who have made the "bad choices" and need to grow up are the f**king numbskulls that drive the Integrity unit bus.

What if A Fifita harms himself?? Will the truth come out then or will the silence continue?

f**kwits of the highest.

Look back. I've said it already. It won't be long before a player does that. Trust me.

Latest posts