What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Final 4

Springs09

Juniors
Won't complain about any likely match-ups. Australia v England or Tonga both look to be great match-ups but I don't think there will be any negatives if Fiji somehow make it through, apart from the likely final crowd.

Rory

Juniors
I can't split England V Tonga. England are the better side, but Bennett doesn't know his team down pat. Hes got the best half playing fullback, Roby who was easily MOM imo against PNG playing better than his first choice hooker and a really shit centre in John Bateman.

It should be Aus V Eng and i pray to god England win. But i really don't see it happening, and i won't be surprised if Tonga beat England this week. But if they do, i don't see how it would help the game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can't split England V Tonga. England are the better side, but Bennett doesn't know his team down pat. Hes got the best half playing fullback, Roby who was easily MOM imo against PNG playing better than his first choice hooker and a really shit centre in John Bateman.

It should be Aus V Eng and i pray to god England win. But i really don't see it happening, and i won't be surprised if Tonga beat England this week. But if they do, i don't see how it would help the game.

It will be tight but I think England have the defense to hold out Tonga.

Think of it this way. NZ lead Tonga 16 -2 ag half time. They should have strangled Tonga out of the match in the second half. England's problems so far have been silly errors and ill-discipline at times but their defense has been pretty good.

They need to cut out the errors (which they are all professional enough to do), stay focused on disciplined and defend as well as they have been. Tonga have big mobile forwards and dangerous backs but don't really have creative halves. Lebanon showed how you can be successful against them.

BTW I don't mind Widdop at fullback, he is able to still play as a playmaker in the line when he chooses too but allows Gale and Brown into the game also. It gives them playmaking and kicking options. I love it when Roby comes off the bench too - he look dangerous late in the half against tiring forwards. Hodgson shifts to half back and controls the game pretty well. I give them a big chance in the tournament but they have to stop making stupid errors.

Perth Red

Post Whore

In the same way people were dreaming in thinking PNG would beat England, Tonga wont be able to match it with them either. England have been shite so far but will still be too good for one trick Tonga.
20-12 to England with scoreline flattering Tonga

Fiji are cannon fodder sadly.

SBD82

Coach
In the same way people were dreaming in thinking PNG would beat England, Tonga wont be able to match it with them either. England have been shite so far but will still be too good for one trick Tonga.
20-12 to England with scoreline flattering Tonga

Fiji are cannon fodder sadly.
Really hope you're wrong, and the tonga England game at least goes to the wire.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I think England by 10-20 to be honest, hopefully fiji can improve on the last few semis against Australia. I’d take a 30 point loss as an improvement.

It’s kinda sad to think of the stars australia are missing like JT and GI. Still walking it in.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/616ceb50a381d890284a441a0ffeab55

WE’RE down to the business end of the tournament with Australia, Fiji, England and Tonga the last teams standing in the Rugby League World Cup.

Here’s all the teams for the semi-finals.

COURT: Hasler launches legal action against Canterbury

MOVE: Green signs with Warriors

SEMI-FINAL 1: AUSTRALIA VS FIJI

Friday night, 8:00pm, Suncorp Stadium

Australia: 1. Billy Slater 2. Dane Gagai 3. Will Chambers 4. Josh Dugan 6. Michael Morgan 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Aaron Woods 9. Cameron Smith 10. David Klemmer 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Matt Gillett 13. Josh McGuire 14. Wade Graham 15. Jordan McLean 16. Reagan Campbell-Gillard 17. Tyson Frizell 18. Felise Kaufusi 19. Tom Trbojevic 20. Josh Mansour 21. James Maloney

Unchanged team from last week’s win over Samoa.

Fiji: 1. Kevin Naiqama 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. Taane Milne 4. Akuila Uate 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Jarryd Hayne 7. Henry Raiwalui 8. Ashton Sims 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. Eloni Vunakece 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Brayden Wiliame 13. Tui Kamikamica 14. Joe Lovodua 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Junior Roqica 17. Ben Nakubuwai 18. James Storer 19. Salesi Faingaa 20. Sitiveni Moceidreke 21. Pio Sokobalavu

Unchanged from the win over New Zealand.

SEMI-FINAL 2: TONGA VS ENGLAND

Saturday afternoon, 4:00pm (AEDT), Mt Smart Stadium

Tonga: 1. Will Hopoate 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Michael Jennings 4. Konrad Hurrell 5. David Fusitu’a 6. Tuimoala Lolohea 7. Ata Hingano 8. Andrew Fifita 9. Siliva Havili 10. Sio Siua Taukeiaho 11. Manu Ma’u 12. Sika Manu 13. Jason Taumalolo 14. Sione Katoa 15. Peni Terepo 16. Tevita Pangai Junior 17. Ben Murdoch-Masila 18. Sam Moa 19. Manu Vatuvei 20. Joe Ofahengaue 21. Samisoni Langi

Sio Siua Taukeiaho returns at prop with Joe Ofahengaue returning to the extended bench. No other changes for the Tongans.

England: 1. Gareth Widdop 2. Jermaine McGillvary 3. Kallum Watkins 4. John Bateman 5. Ryan Hall 6. Kevin Brown 7. Luke Gale 8. Chris Hill 9. Josh Hodgson 10. James Graham 11. Sam Burgess 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Sean O’Loughlin 14. Alex Walmsley 15. Thomas Burgess 16. Ben Currie 17. James Roby 18. Jonny Lomax 19. Chris Heighington 20. Mark Percival 21. Scott Taylor

Kevin Brown has been named despite suffering a concussion last week. The only cover on the bench is James Roby, meaning Josh Hodgson would slot into the halves if Brown went down again.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think England by 10-20 to be honest, hopefully fiji can improve on the last few semis against Australia. I’d take a 30 point loss as an improvement.

It’s kinda sad to think of the stars australia are missing like JT and GI. Still walking it in.

It's not like they're really getting either of them back and even if GI does play for Australia again he's long past his best. There are plenty of teams this tournament with far worse injury problems than Australia and they don't have the depth to cover positions.

My bets are;

Australia 46 def Fiji 10

England defeats Tonga 20 to 6.

I think if Fiji get that close it would be a good result. I'd be pretty happy if they can actually get a try as well. Australia is on another level to Fiji.

I think Tonga will get more points than that but I agree with England coming away with a 10-20 point win.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
For this weekend I'm thinking:

Australia 36 - Fiji 0
England 28 - Tonga 18

Fiji will show lots of heart but their attack is lacking. If they couldn't get accross the line against the Kiwis, they will not score against the Kangaroos. However, their defense has been impressive and I think they will show a dramatic improvement over their last two semi-final appearances against Australia (which were 52 - 0 and 64 - 0).

Tonga and England will be tense but like Fiji, Tonga lack the attack (mainly the halves for them). England, although scrappy so far in this world cup have shown that their defense is pretty solid and well organised. It should be a hell of a game though.

Latest posts