What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Gus......

Raider_69

Post Whore
For the first time in years i acually herd Gus Gould talk some sence, without pushing his roosters cause.

I think this tiff between the NRL and RLPA has shown great leadership by the NRL, and very very poor leadership by the RLPA, Tony Butterfeild smacks of arrogence and is unwilling to negotiate. THe RLPA is being tainted by this fool and the players are getting a bad rap out of it.

The players are not being too un-reasonable asking for this, but they are acting no ill advice by Butterfeild in boycotting the Dally M's. The things that remain un agreed on dont need to be sorted out ASAP, this should have been done off-season. I think the NRL have taken the right stance, they shouldnt opperate with a gun held to their head.

The players are the ones who will suffer and i think Tony Butterfeild has a lot to answer for, he expects the NRL to make a multimillion dollar decision in a few days....

Thankyou Tony Butterfeild, you have brought the game into turmoil and destroyed what is a great night for players and fans alike.

Also thank you to Gus Gould who has restored a little bit of my faith in him that he CAN talk some footy without pressing the Roosters cause...

Chook

First Grade
What a complete and utter pile of bullshit!

Who have the players hurt if not themselves? It's their bloody awards night and if they want to boycott it, exactly who is getting hurt? Channel 9 and their ratings (hence Gus's comments)? The wives and girlfriends?

C'mon! The NRL have been dicking around with this agreement for 3 years. That's not negotiation, that's stalling.

This agreement is a must. If the NRL do not make playing Rugby League an attractive career offer for young athletes, with minimum wages, conditions, superannuation, post football planning, than those young athletes will go and play union or afl where minimum conditions are already in place. And our code will suffer in the long run.

I am 100% behind the players on this and I genuinely hope they stick together and get this collective bargaining agreement through. Our code needs it sooner rather than later.

Chook.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Chook said:

Who have the players hurt if not themselves? It's their bloody awards night and if they want to boycott it, exactly who is getting hurt? Channel 9 and their ratings (hence Gus's comments)? The wives and girlfriends?

The Dally M's aren't on 9.

I think the NRL have agreed to the importnt issues of the RLPA's and there seem to be a few that are unreasonable.

If they do anything stupid in the finals then the players deserve squat as that's all that will be left.

antonius

Coach
Raider_69 said:
For the first time in years i acually herd Gus Gould talk some sence, without pushing his roosters cause.

I think this tiff between the NRL and RLPA has shown great leadership by the NRL, and very very poor leadership by the RLPA, Tony Butterfeild smacks of arrogence and is unwilling to negotiate. THe RLPA is being tainted by this fool and the players are getting a bad rap out of it.

The players are not being too un-reasonable asking for this, but they are acting no ill advice by Butterfeild in boycotting the Dally M's. The things that remain un agreed on dont need to be sorted out ASAP, this should have been done off-season. I think the NRL have taken the right stance, they shouldnt opperate with a gun held to their head.

The players are the ones who will suffer and i think Tony Butterfeild has a lot to answer for, he expects the NRL to make a multimillion dollar decision in a few days....

Thankyou Tony Butterfeild, you have brought the game into turmoil and destroyed what is a great night for players and fans alike.

Also thank you to Gus Gould who has restored a little bit of my faith in him that he CAN talk some footy without pressing the Roosters cause...
Sorry Raiders, but your way off base on this one, The players are the ones who are missing out ( no awards) they are prepared to forgo them must tell you they are serious about their claims. What would you have them do to push the case? boycot the finals series? no of course not. These claims have been in for Months, it's not "out of the blue" as Gallop would have you believe. I'm right behind the players on this and Tony Butterfield is putting a bit of balls in the players association, good on him. Tony Butterfield hasn't put the game in termoil, not playing the finals would do that. Who gives a sh!t about the Dally M's anyway? were you going? no you weren't, it's a players function, and they chose not to go. I for one don't have a prob with that. Fancy Potato Head calling anyone arrogant, He'd have to be the most arrogant football commentator going around.

wittyfan

Referee
Chook said:

C'mon! The NRL have been dicking around with this agreement for 3 years. That's not negotiation, that's stalling.

This agreement is a must. If the NRL do not make playing Rugby League an attractive career offer for young athletes, with minimum wages, conditions, superannuation, post football planning, than those young athletes will go and play union or afl where minimum conditions are already in place. And our code will suffer in the long run.

I am 100% behind the players on this and I genuinely hope they stick together and get this collective bargaining agreement through. Our code needs it sooner rather than later.

Chook.

Come on, at the end of the day the elite players want to keep on lining their pockets with more doe. The windfall of the Super League is long gone now and the players must accept this. They are so well look after that this whole issue makes me sick. :evil:

antonius

Coach
sullyfan said:
Chook said:

Chook.

Come on, at the end of the day the elite players want to keep on lining their pockets with more doe. The windfall of the Super League is long gone now and the players must accept this. They are so well look after that this whole issue makes me sick. :evil:
Well tell Adam Muir, and David Fairliegh they are lining their pockets, they're still waiting to be paid their money from the failed Northern Eagles club, and that's one of the players claims, ie:- have their contracts guaranteed. Some of the junior players are playing for peanuts, tell them they're lining their pockets. :evil:

eloquentEEL

First Grade
The players are probably entitled to some better conditions, if you compare what they do with golfers, soccer players, tennis players, etc who are earning millions. BUT they haven't gone about it in a good way at all and I question a lot of their motives.

Who exactly were the players leading the boycott? I don't know exactly myself. It certainly wasn't all of them. And I got the impression it was generally either players who wouldn't be up for awards themselves, some of them who have won them previously.

If they were really serious, they would have returned all the awards they had won previously, in demonstration, rather than destroying the chances of other players to win their first, and possibly only Dally M award.

They are seriously alienating their fans. This one in particular!!!

wittyfan

Referee
antonius said:
Well tell Adam Muir, and David Fairliegh they are lining their pockets, they're still waiting to be paid their money from the failed Northern Eagles club, and that's one of the players claims, ie:- have their contracts guaranteed. Some of the junior players are playing for peanuts, tell them they're lining their pockets. :evil:

David Gallop said on 2GB this morning that the game isn't awashed with funds at the moment. It's not possible to meet all their demands. And the one where they get paid out three years following an event of death is sheer lunacy. :evil:

antonius

Coach
sullyfan said:
antonius said:

David Gallop said on 2GB this morning that the game isn't awashed with funds at the moment. It's not possible to meet all their demands. And the one where they get paid out three years following an event of death is sheer lunacy. :evil:
Well I don't think David Fairliegh would agree with you. he played and got smashed around for a season for diddley squat. The game isn't awash with funds because they don't take the best Pay tv offer, but pander to their mates instead, the game generates enormous amounts of money, and, that money is not being divided up amongst the people who provide the game THE PLAYERS

eloquentEEL

First Grade
sullyfan said:
And the one where they get paid out three years following an event of death is sheer lunacy. :evil:

Exactly! I could understand if it was in the event of death while playing footy which the NRL could probably cope with (even though there are far more dangerous professions which don't have these terms)... I mean there aren't that many players that die on the field. But this is supposed to cover deaths that could occur while travelling to or from work. That's asking WAYYYYY too much.

El Diablo

Post Whore
eels2win said:
sullyfan said:
And the one where they get paid out three years following an event of death is sheer lunacy. :evil:

Exactly! I could understand if it was in the event of death while playing footy which the NRL could probably cope with (even though there are far more dangerous professions which don't have these terms)... I mean there aren't that many players that die on the field. But this is supposed to cover deaths that could occur while travelling to or from work. That's asking WAYYYYY too much.

I wonder if players would be double dipping if they had life insurance?

Why they need this death clause has got me nackered anyway.

hrundi99

First Grade
My employer pays out 4x my superannuation salary on death or permanent disablement.

The players should have their own life insurance regardless.

Like I posted in the Raiders section, the players should have played out the season, attended the awards, and then boycotted round 1 next year if they were still unhappy.

That way they aren't tarnishing what has been a very good season, and the schedule for next year's league could be pushed back to deal with it.

antonius

Coach
eels2win said:
sullyfan said:

Every Australian worker is covered by travel insurance to and from work, It's part of the workers compensation act, If your killed at work your family recieve compensation from insurance, why should a Footy player not be entitled to that? you blokes carrying on about the players being greedy have no idea what your on about, all they are asking is what every Australian worker already gets!!!!!

Manly Eagle

Juniors
antonius said:
sullyfan said:
Chook said:

Chook.

David Fairliegh was not a northern eagles player!

eloquentEEL

First Grade
antonius said:
eels2win said:
sullyfan said:

Every Australian worker is covered by travel insurance to and from work, It's part of the workers compensation act, If your killed at work your family recieve compensation from insurance, why should a Footy player not be entitled to that? you blokes carrying on about the players being greedy have no idea what your on about, all they are asking is what every Australian worker already gets!!!!!

From nrl.com:

Issue 3: Death of a player
Issue

Death of a player

Current State
Player receives current year of contract.

RLPA Request
If a player dies while on Club duties, his estate to receive the remainder of his whole contract (or current year plus another two years).

NRL Offer
If player dies while on club duties incl. travelling he will receive:
* 100% of current year.
* 100% of next year.

Notes:
- By providing current year plus additional year, the Clubs have gone far beyond any industry standard.
- Clubs concerned about risk of paying out a long contract (eg. 4 yrs.) particularly given potential risk of motor vehicle accidents.
- Game has history of raising funds for players affected by tragedy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
With this deah clause what would've happened last year had a Dogs player died?

Would he be paid what the NRL thought he was getting or would he have been paid his real salary which the NRL didn't know he was getting?

syphon

Juniors
and why do the players have problems with the NRL having full access to their payment records??

apparantly the RLPA want them to ask permission, and tough luck if the player doesnt want them to have a look :roll: :roll:

antonius

Coach
Manly Eagle said:
antonius said:
sullyfan said:
Chook said:

Chook.

David Fairliegh was not a northern eagles player!
I think you'll find that the franchise was responsible for his old contract when the merger took place, they certainly still owe Adam Muir, and a host of other players money, which up untill now they have continually promised to pay, but we all know they have bugger all money to pay them, they've spent the merger cash which is what they were after, then dumped Norths, and gone back to where they were. Broke.

Latest posts