What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 1 vs Titans Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
Can't decide - Dragons 09 is either Phil Gould or Brad Fittler ... one or the other.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Last night Wallace was the only one actually playing like a prop and taking solid hit ups. McGuire trys hard but never seems to dent the line too much.

The others, especially Blair, seem more focused on ball playing. That is fine sometimes but pretty soon the defence works out he's gonna pass every time, Need to run sometimes to put them in two minds.

Why are we signing David Mead?

I get we have issues in the outside backs department (highlighted this year) but i would have thought we would have prioritised some big bodies and noted props. McGuire doesn't dent the line at all, he takes alot of carries and tackles all night but that's about it.

Last Nights game when Paulo & Boyd came back on they made a sizeable impact & it took 3 of the sharks forwards to stop Paulo & he still made 15m per carry.

Cowboys in the last 15-20 of each game bring on Scott/Taulmalolo & Tamou and just roll right up the middle of any team, they even did it to Melbourne last night.

We tried Thaiday in the prop position, he wasn't suited and his attitude showed it. McGuire just doesn't bend the line, Blair would be way more useful as an edge forward. Parker and Gillett are great middle forwards. Our bench has 2 middle forwards, 1 legitimate prop and a rookie who is yet to find his groove. It's frustrating to watch. We have fought hard to keep some of those players I've mentioned from being poached when maybe we should have let some go so we could build a more well rounded pack.

Imagine what Milford & Hunt could do behind some strong roll forward and quick PTB toward the last 15 minutes of each half.

Am i the only one who dislikes the makeup of our pack? Obviously nothing is going to happen I'm just curious what other fans think.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Why are we signing David Mead?

I get we have issues in the outside backs department (highlighted this year) but i would have thought we would have prioritised some big bodies and noted props. McGuire doesn't dent the line at all, he takes alot of carries and tackles all night but that's about it.

Last Nights game when Paulo & Boyd came back on they made a sizeable impact & it took 3 of the sharks forwards to stop Paulo & he still made 15m per carry.

Cowboys in the last 15-20 of each game bring on Scott/Taulmalolo & Tamou and just roll right up the middle of any team, they even did it to Melbourne last night.

We tried Thaiday in the prop position, he wasn't suited and his attitude showed it. McGuire just doesn't bend the line, Blair would be way more useful as an edge forward. Parker and Gillett are great middle forwards. Our bench has 2 middle forwards, 1 legitimate prop and a rookie who is yet to find his groove. It's frustrating to watch. We have fought hard to keep some of those players I've mentioned from being poached when maybe we should have let some go so we could build a more well rounded pack.

Imagine what Milford & Hunt could do behind some strong roll forward and quick PTB toward the last 15 minutes of each half.

Am i the only one who dislikes the makeup of our pack? Obviously nothing is going to happen I'm just curious what other fans think.

Yes a no is my answer in regards to our forward pack.
If we bring the right tactical game to Townsville we can definitely win. A similar game that beat the storm really.
Our forwards showed against the dogs the can hammer with any side when they get the shits.

On another topic there have been plenty of idiots calling this game the worst officiating they have seen. Well they must all be aged 14 and under because the worst reffing ive ever seen was us vs the roosters in the 2002 prelim. Nothing comes close to that but we get all the call apparently.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Yes a no is my answer in regards to our forward pack.
If we bring the right tactical game to Townsville we can definitely win. A similar game that beat the storm really.
Our forwards showed against the dogs the can hammer with any side when they get the shits.

On another topic there have been plenty of idiots calling this game the worst officiating they have seen. Well they must all be aged 14 and under because the worst reffing ive ever seen was us vs the roosters in the 2002 prelim. Nothing comes close to that but we get all the call apparently.

Yeah they aimed up and beat them in the middle but the Dogs didn't have Granville/Coote/Morgan & Thurston to make it far more punishing.

The Cowboys pressure at the line against us is going to be huge. 1 bad read and Lowe/Cooper goes over each time.

crogger1984

Juniors
Wow it looks like there are just as many knob jockeys on here as there are posting on the couriermail, foxsports, etc.

First of all if there is anyone who actually thinks that the Titans were robbed of victory or that the refs were 'on the take' or that the NRL are triyng to rig these matches for the Broncos to win the title then you deserve a few shots to the chin. There's no conspiracy or match fixing going on here and the better team clearly won the match.

Of the 6 'contentious' decsions I'm going to list them down and how each decision should've gone.

1/ Penalty Try to Kahu: I don't really understand why this one is being debated. The rules are pretty clear in this instance in that you are not allowed to kick the ball out of the hands of a player in the motion of scoring a try. That's exactly what Konrad Hurrell did so the ref had no choice to award a penalty try. Correct decision. You may not like the rule but that is a completely different issue.

2/ Double knock-on call, scrum feed to the Broncos. Again, you may not like that the bunker can be asked to adjudicate on this however the on field ref clearly asked the bunker to check who knocked on first. The replays were very clear that Pulu knocked on first. Correct decision.

3/ Roberts ruck incident. I've called it this because I refuse to call that love tap a kick. However, because the referee deemed the interference in the ruck by the Titans player acceptable (even though it clearly wasn't) Roberts should have been penalised. The most disappointig thing about this is if it had've been penalised on the night then I very much doubt that Roberts gets charged as the NRL are trying to right a wrong. Incorrect decision.

4/ Oates penalty. The benefit of the replay is that we can see that the Titans were contesting the ball, not the man. Whilst watching live it looked dangerous the replay suggested otherwise. Incorrect decision.

5/ Oates Try. Anyone who thinks that was an ostruction by Thaiday on Bird are really reaching here. Bird ran directly at Thaiday and took him out of play. If the Broncos hadn't scored I dare say they should've received the penalty for Thaiday being taken out in back play. This one wasn't even close. Correct decision.

6/ The 'headbutt'. come on people, really? A headbutt? James wouldn't let Parker pack into the scrum so Parker forces his head into the scrum. Incidental contact is made but in no way did he lash out at James with his head. If he did James would've come after him but he didn't even notice it happened. This sort of thing happens in nearly every scrum.

So of the 6 calls that apparently cruelled the Titans, only 2 of them were actually wrong calls and one of those could very easiliy have been a Broncos penalty for interference in the ruck. Plently of calls wen against the Broncos in that match too that went unnoticed for one simple reason, they won.

Pearson was pushed when trying to catdch the first bomb of the night, Bird received a penalty for hands in the ruck when he lost the ball cold, the Titans scored from the ensuing penalty. time out was called when Taylor was injured however when Kahu was down there was no time out and the Titans scored against a 12 man defensive line.

Calls go both ways, it's only the losing team who ever whinges about it.

End Rant...

crogger1984

Juniors
As for the Broncos always getting the rub of the green, you obviously haven't been watching the last 6 weeks of the season.

Against the Roosters twice in the first half the Roosters were given penalties for hands in the ruck when it was actually poor ball control, scoring off one of these penalties.

Against the Storm, Cronk should've been sin binned in the first half and another Storm player should've been binned in the 2nd half for a 2nd effort on Milford after his line break. Boyd also should've received a penalty when he was tackled, then forced back into the in goal in the final 10 minutes.

Against the Dragons I think we only got 1 penalty and it was Milford being takled when chasing through a grubber kick yet once again no sin bin?

Again, these go unnoticed by the Bronco bashers because it taints their argument of 'Broncos get all the calls' and also becuase we don't whinge about it.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Massive post there bro, but we gotta move forward. Robbed/Bad calls are something a better team needs to overcome. Regardless of how many 'bad calls' the titans recieved, over 26 rounds the Broncos were the far superior team and are a far more accomplished opponent to the cowboys this friday.

Had the titans pulled of a miracle and had a win against us the week 2 game would have been very anti climactic.

I say this with respect to the titans, but last Friday was their GF and they played well.

TheFrog

Coach
A fair assessment of the issues faced by the Broncos pack. It's been as clear as the nose on your face all year.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
In 05 I gave the tigers absolutely no chance due to.the size of their pack.
After watching them destroy the cows I still wasn't convinced.
Then they bashed us and some other side (can't remember who) and I was convinced.
A small pack can still hit and our lot will prove that tomorrow.

Rhyno

First Grade
Oh sh!t huge story about to destroy the Broncos

It's so bad Andrew Webster said the DT don't won't to be the first ones to publish it