What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finch

legend

Coach
I'd like to know if you guys are happy with the progress of Brett Finch. I've just finished watching the replay of last nights game and he again came up with the error that ulimately lost the Roosters the match.

Stuart said after the game he thought it was one of Brett Finch's best games for the Roosters but you wouldn't expect Stuart to publicly bag his players.

I was happy when Finch left Canberra because he cost us so many games with stupid mistakes and the coaches always put it down to Finch having a go but I could never cop that as an excuse.

What do you gusy think of Finch?

Legend, I'm pretty filthy about the refs decisions to be honest, and perhaps that over-rides a clearer perspective of individual performances.

I'm a bit of a stats man myself ;-) and I see that Finch's stats are as follows:

Tackles 20
Hitups 7
Offloads 2
Missed Tackes 1
Errors 2

[Freddy came up with one error as well]

That's a pretty awesome achievement I think, and I honestly don't think Ricky would have given him a public wrap, if he didn't feel he deserved it. I don't beleive he would have said the opposite, but am sure he would have not said anything if he felt differently.

Finch didn't lose us the game, inexperience and some bad ref decisions did. Under the circumstances the Bulldogs had every right to give us a hiding but they worked bloody hard for that win.

I see Finch as a kid with a big heart and even bigger future. I watched him step up in the WCC against St. Helens and believe that in big games he isn't daunted. Freddy's performance last night was nothing short of breathtaking. But then I'm a Rooster Booster and possibly a tad bias. 8)

The Backpacker

Juniors
Helen of Troy said:
I watched him step up in the WCC against St. Helens and believe that in big games he isn't daunted.

Skite. I got to watch tractor pulling and some other crap instead. :( One day I will find some bastard who has taped that game. One day.... [-o<

To answer the Finch question... He's improving most weeks. Ricky doesn't publicly praise unless he means it. He's not one for stroking ego's and, if the last season has taught me nothing else, it's that I trust Ricky's judgement. Finch is an emotive player and maybe, if anything, thats what he needs to learn to control a bit.

Theres always a settling period at a club and that takes time - hell, we made the excuse for Morley for 18 odd months - but Finch seems to have settled well and thats a bonus. I think, if nothing else, he's guilty of trying too hard on occaisions but I'd rather have a player that tries too hard rather than doesn't try at all. Yes he's made some mistakes that have led to points but so have most players at some stage.

I think he'll mature as the season goes on, become a little less emotional in his plays and I'm looking foward to seeing how he goes in the finals. :D

legend

Coach
I thought that for three seasons Finch would eventually come good and I was left holding the baby. :cry:

I think Finch is made to look good by those around him and we'll see how he goes against an in form Cowboys next week who did everything possible tonight to lose the match against the Panthers.

It should be a good clash when we play the Roosters in round 20. Some old scores to settle.

Z

Juniors
As a Dragons supporter my opinion should be unbiased.

Finch has been very good for the Roosters this year, and I feel he hasn't recieved the recognition he deserves.

Unlike his many years at the Raiders, where, in those days, he didn't have as many good players around him, he now is surrounded by top class footballers.

It is not an easy feat to make the transition to a top class team aswell as Brett as done, and if I was a Roosters fan, I would be very grateful of Brett for joining my team, and the performances he has produced in 2003.

Cheers.
:arrow: Saint Firman.

legend said:
It should be a good clash when we play the Roosters in round 20. Some old scores to settle.

To be honest Legend, I'm not au fait with the old scores to be settled that seems to go on between crew who have followed both teams for a longer period than myself.

I know that many people view Ricky Stuart as a Bulldog, but I really have only thought of him as a Raider. As for Brett Mullins, he is a dead set Legend. I watch footage of him and I don't care if he's wearing the red white and blue or the green machine colours, I applaud him. We also have Finch and Payten and all I can say is both these lads blow me away. Don't know what you thought of the metre eater Payten on Friday night, I thought he put in a tremendous performance.

Legend, reading a few of your posts, you don't seem to take prisoners and call things how you see them. I like that. I have a feeling that we may not see eye to eye on certain issues. But I don't mind a good debate. 8)

legend

Coach
Helen, I have no problem with Stuart, Mullins or the Big Mac eating Payten. My only gripe is with Finch. Canberra sacrificed McFadden, a local kid who was desperate to stay with the club on the provision Finch would be the long term option at halfback and Finch knew well in advance he was leaving for greener pastures.

Finch signed with the Roosters two days after the June 30 deadline had expired which means Finch was in contact with the Roosters illegally so I think any fan of any club who had this done to them would be slightly annoyed.

Look forward to many heated stoushes as well. :D

legend said:
I think any fan of any club who had this done to them would be slightly annoyed.

Look forward to many heated stoushes as well. :D

Well, many of us were shocked that he'd been signed for 3 years and a few Rooster supporters also question his signing and ability. I understand where your coming from as roles reversed I'd be more than slightly annoyed. I guess though there is alot of comfort in watching your team walk out with a 50 - 14 scoreline last night though. 8)

I think between us, we can get a bit of the old passion flowing come round 20... whattya reckon.. :lol: ;-)

ozzie

Bench
The only mistake (if you could call it one) that i saw of his was the kick in the dying seconds of the game. If that is the one that you ar talking about legend then I wouldn't regard it as a mistake . We needed to attack and it was the last minute of play - if the ball hadn't gone to mason then a possibility existed for us to regain the ball.

But the clincher in my opinion was the flat ball that if it had found Bryne we would have won the game instead of talking about Finch losing the game. The pass was thrown by Fittler and intercepted by Anaster.

Intersting stats from the game was that the Bulldogs got 10 penatlies 90 of which were conceded in their won half - funny that they got 9 penalties to get out of trouble??

Also interesting to listen to NRL on Fox last night and the stats of penalties were brought up - the average penalties gained by teams was in the low 70's and the Bulldogs have gained 99!! Have the referrees decided to give them this years premiership??

But the Bulldogs better play better than they did the other night against our B grade sie or they won't make the semi's.

legend

Coach
I see what you are saying Ozzie but Finch has been making those last minute crucial errors for three years now and I think he falters badly in big matches.

I agree with you about the Bulldogs. The do not scare me in the slightest. Apart from Price, they are an average team who will probably finish sixth.

ozzie

Bench
I hope to get over next weekend to see you guys against the Broncos should be a great match and a ground record...

They tell me tickets are selling fast.

If i can get a ride to Sydney I'll be watching the Roosters against the Cowboys - again should be another great game..

One thing about that mistake - I saw tht frieddy patting him on the back while he was still sitting on the ground. I think that makes a difference to a player - I thought he had wow of a game - but its just IMO.

How the hell Anastar got the MOM I will never know - there were better players than him on the Bulldogs side - O'Melley for a start. Two or three Roosters were better than him as well.

Latest posts