What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firman, Head, Holdsworth and the Decision

Collateral

Coach
This is a huge decision for Doust to make this year.

Try and keep Firman and Head = Holdsworth more than likely gone

Keep Firman = Release Head = Keep Holdsworth

Keep Head = Release Firman = Keep Holdsworth

Obviously the Dragons need to choose soon what they are going to do and many sources are saying that we will lose at least 1 of the 3 by seasons end.

Firman is out for the whole season more or less with a broken Leg...broken legs dont mean he is injury prone if it is the first time he has done it, and the severity of which he broke his leg (both Tibia and Fibula) invokes that it would of happened to anyone.
He has had a shoulder reconstruction and a Shoulder Stabilisation. However, he is still an extremely solid defender with a superb running and Long distance kicking game. A definant Game Breaker, with match winning ability.

Should we risk taking him on despite his Injuries? Refer to Scott Prince and the Tigers.

Matthew Head is an extremely talented halfback, with a very good all round game who leads his team well. As the season has gone on he has been developing a game breaker ability as well.
Has had only slight injuries this season, but it should be noted that Firman played almost the whole of last season as well...it wasnt until the end of season that he had surgery.

Holdsworth is a very young and talent 5/8 who could be the future of the club with one of the above.
Not a bad defener or ball runner for someone so young and shares in the kicking duties as well. Being so young, we can really develop him early and have a great 5/8 of the future here.

Having Holdsworth at 5/8 puts Trent Barrett in question. I have always wanted the big, strong, tough defending Barrett to play at Lock because he has the size, aggression and ability to play in the Fowards.
Having him at Lock would also mean that we dont have to worry as much for when he is out injured as we have Holdsworth in 5/8 who (Finger Crossed) isnt anywhere near as injury prone as Trent.

Lets not forget that this season, Head has had a vastly improved foward pack to work with and another playmaker in Withers to help organise when he is busy. Firman didnt have that last season.

What is your view and opion on the matter, keeping in mind that neither Firman nor Head want to play hooker and I severly doubt that either of them will be moved there.

Personally, if I had to choose I would go with:

6. Holdsworth
7. Firman
13. Barrett

With Withers at Hooker to help organise as well as Benny Hornby coming into his own this season and helping out in the middle as well.

Either way, we have the potentials for greatness...its up to who we want to trust with it now.

Southernsaint

Staff member
RedDragon said:

6. Holdsworth
7. Firman
13. Barrett

The Face's ego won't allow a scenario where he plays lock, even though it's an obvious option. I don't know why the bloke has so much say at Brand HQ, seeing as he's done nothing for the club since 1999.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Collateral

Coach
If he doesnt like it, then he can request a release, which means (correct me if im wrong) that we dont have to pay out his contract = A lot of money...downside is we lose the NSW 5/8 for 5 games a year.

Southernsaint

Staff member
RedDragon said:
If he doesnt like it, then he can request a release, which means (correct me if im wrong) that we dont have to pay out his contract = A lot of money...downside is we lose the NSW 5/8 for 5 games a year.

I've seen nothing in 5 years that would make me think he justifies his massive price tag.

Anyway, Timmo is the NSW five-eighth :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Collateral

Coach
:lol: True

We should just sign up Trent to do a few cameo appearances like they do on TV series with the Stars that are too good to be on every week.

But seriously, Holdsworth should be 5/8...or groomed for Lock.

Biglance

Bench
i reckon riddell will go firman at hooker withers on the bench head half barrett 5/8 timmins lock and holdsworth in pl

Collateral

Coach
Firman wont go hooker, and if he does I think there is a 1% chance of re-signing if he is put there.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Riddell would be a decent back-rower, IMO, if the slim chance that he re-signed came true...

I don't think a halves combination of Head & Firman has the size needed for NRL dominance.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
RedDragon said:

6. Holdsworth
7. Firman
13. Barrett

The Face's ego won't allow a scenario where he plays lock, even though it's an obvious option. I don't know why the bloke has so much say at Brand HQ, seeing as he's done nothing for the club since 1999.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Most logical, common sense post to ever come from a Dragons fan! It's about time you realised The Face is useless.

Biglance

Bench
well it is clear that doust is in negotiations with head could we see a reshuffle in the line up would barrett move to lock for riddell to stay and have the two young halves and timmins to centre if gasnier left or to second row maybe

maybe but i doubt that brown loves young and so do i at second row so maybe timmins some where else (bench)

riddell looks like he is gonne

i heard a rumour kite is off to melbourne

Whats Doing

Bench
While Holdsworth does a fair bit in defence he doesn't use his shoulder and is often the 2nd man in. Head and Firman are better options

Biglance

Bench
holdsworth is still only like 20 and just has come in dont think ur a bit harsh he is building confidence

i mean at the start of the season i began in 3rd grade and was promoted to first grade schoolboys footy because three props were injured mate i lacked a bit of confidence and didnt do everything at 100% i was a bit smaller than the others so i didnt dominate but have been accepted better and have good confidence

so i reckon get off the kids back give him a go and he'll do good

Whats Doing

Bench
I hope he does well. Just an observation on an important part of his technique and we are talking about 1st grade all the same.

drake

First Grade
If head (or Firman) were to play 5/8th, management could console him that he would only have to play second fiddle to Baz a couple of games a year.

sleepy_jackson

Juniors
I would get rid of firman, head is better fullstop. The suggestion that barrett as inflated ego and would not play at lock is idiotic. Bazza is one of the most decent fellas u could meet, he'd do what was best for the team. Barrett playing at lock is not a bd idea because of his strong defence and size, but timmo doesnt deserve to lose his position, he has been our most gutsy and consistent performer for many years. Barrett should stay at 5/8, i just hope he can capture the form that made him such an explosive and creative player when he started with the steelers.

Keep the posts flowing fellas.

Latest posts