What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Test: Australia V. New Zealand

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Lee named 12th man for first Test
Sportal

Brett Lee will carry the drinks in Brisbane after captain Ricky Ponting revealed Australia has retained the same fast bowlers for the first Test against New Zealand.

Speaking on the eve of the match at the Gabba, Ponting said that while Lee is unlucky not to be able to force his way back into the XI, he believes that Michael Kasprowicz deserves to keep his place.

"He is bowling very well at the moment," Ponting said of Lee, who will be released to play for New South Wales in its ING Cup clash with Victoria this weekend at the Junction Oval. "He's really knocking on the door now. But Michael Kasprowicz deserves to be here."

With Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespie and Kasprowicz to perform the fast bowling duties, the only changes to the team beaten by India in the fourth Test in Mumbai see the returns of Darren Lehmann and Shane Warne in place of Simon Katich and Nathan Hauritz.

The Black Caps are yet to finalise their line-up for the match though, with captain Stephen Fleming (virus), his batsman Nathan Astle (back) and spinner Daniel Vettori (shoulder) all still in doubt.

Australian first Test team
Ricky Ponting (c), Adam Gilchrist (v-c), Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann, Michael Clarke, Shane Warne, Jason Gillespie, Michael Kasprowicz, Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee (12th man)

Predictable really, the only question for me was Shane Warne going to be fit.

Good to seey Lee will be released to play for NSW, instead of being a drink waiter.

I really hope the Kiwis will play at full strength.

I'll be at the GABBA on Saturady, cant wait.

nöyd

Staff member
Ethal said:
This will be all over by lunch on day 2 :clap:

I hope so, I'll be there tomorrow and Friday, would be great to see a full match in 2 days :lol: :?

Earl

Coach
:lol:

Well on that note I think they'll take the extra half hours play on Day 2 to force a result :lol:

bayrep

Juniors
Franklin is out groin strain (He was our swing bowler) and McMillan is in instead of Marshall. Our main strike bowlers are Mills and Butler. Whats the Bet that if Flem wins the Toss he will bat first.

shiznit

Coach
i heard on sports tonight last night that butler isnt playing.
why the hell is Mills even there? id rather Joseph Yovich or someone like that.
Mills is a Chucker if ive ever seen one. yet hes still useless. i bet if mills takes shit loads of wickets and causes aussie real problems were going to hear a shit load of complaints about his action. yet if he gets belted to all parts of the ground like he should i dont think were gonna hear a peep about the chucker.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Most guys would, although the wicket at the Gabba wont change much over the 5 days.

We haven't had any rain over the last week, os the only water on the wicket will have ben put on there by the curator.

bayrep

Juniors
Its alright Mills bowls with only a 14 degree angle :lol:. I heard on the radio this morning that Butler was in. Along with McMillan, I do agree with you on the McMillan front it sounds like they went for McMillan because he can bowl as well. I dont rate his bowling either but I think that shows how desperate the kiwi selecters are :(

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised he was left out in the first place.

I dont rate his bowling either, but he gets wickest against us.

He is one guy who rises to the occasion against us.

Latest posts