What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flags in Sydney CBD

Moffo

Referee
10 days out from the NRL grand final, you would tend to think that a league city such as Sydney would have big banners up promoting the up-coming games

But as you drive into the Sydney CBD (as i do most days), i am bombarded by banners all the way up George Street promoting the 2003 RUWC.

Im sure everybody who goes into the city regularly knows what im referring to. But a question, does the Sydney City Council or State Gov't control what banners go up?

I think its a bit of a sham that the city isn't abuzz with NRL banners in September

Cheers,
Moffo

half

Coach
it's not like a banner/flag is gonna make me watch rugby union

big whoop

Bengal

Juniors
Moffo said:
10 days out from the NRL grand final, you would tend to think that a league city such as Sydney would have big banners up promoting the up-coming games

But as you drive into the Sydney CBD (as i do most days), i am bombarded by banners all the way up George Street promoting the 2003 RUWC.

Im sure everybody who goes into the city regularly knows what im referring to. But a question, does the Sydney City Council or State Gov't control what banners go up?

I think its a bit of a sham that the city isn't abuzz with NRL banners in September

Cheers,
Moffo

Good spotting Moffo

The NRL have done many good things lately - they should add your astute observation to their list!

OVP

Coach
Thats what you get when you have a sports-hater as a premier. Biggy Rat doesnt like sport, he only likes the money it generates for his coffers so that he can donate even more money towards the Arts than any Premier in NSW's history.

Next time you vote kiddies, DONT vote for a nerd ok :lol:

syphon

Juniors
Moffo said:

Cheers,
Moffo
i think a lot of league fans need to get a grip of the fact that theirs is not the big sporting event in this town anymore. quite hard for some to face reality. must be due to some conspiracy again.

iggy plop

First Grade
Consistently rugby league is by far the biggest show in sydney town. Sure, the androtop ball and union do have their events, but overall league is no. 1. Union would be second and androtop ball third - although their are more soccer supporters than androtop ball supporters.

syphon

Juniors
iggy plop said:
Consistently rugby league is by far the biggest show in sydney town. Sure, the androtop ball and union do have their events, but overall league is no. 1. Union would be second and androtop ball third - although their are more soccer supporters than androtop ball supporters.
over the years, rugby league has had its time in the sun. the sun is beginning to set. you'd be very naive not to see that. Rugby League has by far the cheapest tickets out of any code. seems that there is a lack of ingrained passion that gets people to part with their hard earned for the love of the game. a much greater % of fringe supporters just sitting at home and flicking on channel 9 when there is sport on. a half baked loyalty.

League has a lot of indifferent supporters, not too many hard core fans,

Dogs Of War

Coach
Keep on believing that syphon, just tell yourself that league is dying, it;s not as if league hasn't been dying for decades now, yet somehow it keeps on going....bit like your ramblings.

t-ba

Post Whore
S12 is hardly a fair comparison. 6 matches (at best), where an entire state is apparently playing, compared to 102 regular season matches across the CBD is hardly a fair base for comparison. Perhaps we should compare this 'provincial' competition to SoO, and club rugby to the NRL?

What makes it funny is, League has yet to recover from a near fatal wound, while Union and the AFL are at the top of their respective games.

sydraider

First Grade
Syphon i am not sure whether to take you seriously, i think you are either someone trying to rile up the league fans in here or just some insecure little AFL or YAWN YAWN fan.
If you havent noticed, this year league has experienced one of its most successful seasons since the big one in "94" but let me run a few other things by you
1 SWANS- HAD a successsful season, yet choked when it counted and BIG TIME. I am taking it that their increase in membership came from fickle fans hoping for some success.
2 If AFL is so damn big in this town then why did the roos attempt to become the towns second team not happen??? For that matter where the hell is the second AFL franchise in sydney??? I thought such a huge sport in this town could accomodate at least 2 teams.
3 YAWN YAWN- Im sorry to say but they have built everything around this world cup and if you have a look at it they dont have much else to go on after it, you wanna talk about loyal fans then we will see how loyal these fans are when the wannabes crash and burn in this event. They have spent a vast amount of money on 3 wingers and with the impending retirement of names such as gregan and co they will endure a massive rebuilding stage after this world cup.
4 Why is it that when the wannabes were on a grand losing streak the MEDIA insist that players of the callibre of JOHNS,LOCKYER,ANASTA and co are the type of key players they would need to prop up the team.Seems to me to be a shortage of talent in the rah rah ranks.

WELL from a seriously biased point of view i can only see RUGBY LEAGUE as the dominant winter code in sydney for a long long time to come.

Moffo

Referee
he is a troll mate (ie: a person who comes in here looking to stir up anyone he can)

Best ignored

:lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

iggy plop

First Grade
syphon said:
iggy plop said:
over the years, rugby league has had its time in the sun. the sun is beginning to set. you'd be very naive not to see that. Rugby League has by far the cheapest tickets out of any code. seems that there is a lack of ingrained passion that gets people to part with their hard earned for the love of the game. a much greater % of fringe supporters just sitting at home and flicking on channel 9 when there is sport on. a half baked loyalty.

What about the swans Syphon or should I say bigfooty.com reject?? Hardcore support?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Union, week in week out support? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9_degrees

Juniors
t-ba the hutt said:
What makes it funny is, League has yet to recover from a near fatal wound, while Union and the AFL are at the top of their respective games.

lol if this is AFL and Union at the top of their game league has nothing to worry about :lol:
think about it if this is league at its worst can you imagine what its gonna be like when its back to its best?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
syphon said:
iggy plop said:

over the years, rugby league has had its time in the sun. the sun is beginning to set. you'd be very naive not to see that.

And the AFL is approximately at midnight :lol: :lol: ........going to venture off to "The Oval" for yet another exihbition match of AFL in front of some Aussies living in England :lol: :lol: :lol: this is what the AFL has to resort to...to try & get some international profile....sad....very sad :lol: :lol:

AFL really gives Aussies a bad perception overseas...........atleast other countries have the common sense not to play such a punce game :lol: :lol:

wittyfan

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
AFL really gives Aussies a bad perception overseas...........atleast other countries have the common sense not to play such a punce game :lol: :lol:

There are some minor AFL comps in New Zealand. And Ireland half play it with the inane International Rules they play against Australia.

In-goal

Bench

I would say that is a fair call

People of Sydney do not like the normal week to week stuff they only want the big events, apparently it's all to hard to go to the game.

not going to watch your team play is like not realy following your team as so to speak.

miccle

Bench
syphon said:

Of course unlike Union - as every single person attending the WC watch all the super 12's and get out to those games.

Oh, and of course all those brissie lions supporters who have followed them since the bears.... all 40 of them

:roll: :roll:

sullyfan said:
There are some minor AFL comps in New Zealand. And Ireland half play it with the inane International Rules they play against Australia.

We don't "half play" it in Ireland, thank you very much. Gaelic football is as old, if not older, as any code of football.

Our joint game with the AFL is just that - a hybrid game. Doesn't mean, though, that either ourselves or the Aussies, don't take it seriously.

Bengal

Juniors
syphon said:
Moffo said:

Cheers,
Moffo
i think a lot of league fans need to get a grip of the fact that theirs is not the big sporting event in this town anymore. quite hard for some to face reality. must be due to some conspiracy again.

What we need to do is recognize and then make use of - as many opportunities to promote the great game of League as we can.
Moffo has pointed out an opportunity (albeit taken from rugby) still we ought to make use of it!

wittyfan

Referee
Dean Moriarty said:
sullyfan said:

We don't "half play" it in Ireland, thank you very much. Gaelic football is as old, if not older, as any code of football.

Our joint game with the AFL is just that - a hybrid game. Doesn't mean, though, that either ourselves or the Aussies, don't take it seriously.

I don't doubt that they take it seriously, but I just can't get into it. The ball is totally round for starters. And I'd rather see them play one game of AFL and one game of Gaelic football.