What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FMD I HATE MELBOURNE

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
For me Its do I despise Melbourne or Hate Brisbane......or do I despise Brisbane and Hate Melbourne.......again do I despise Melbourne and hate Brisbane or do I hate Brisbane and despise Melbourne.....Mmmm its a draw I hate and despise the pair of the wankers

l hear what you my friend but please, next time ....... don't sit on the fence, out with it!

Just for the record and also because I haven't said it today ..........
I despise the melbourne players & coach!

gaz_head

Juniors
Don't blame Melbourne, blame the lazy merkins at the NRL, they have allowed it from day dot, and now with Cronk taking a stroll around Win Stadium, the NRL should ban him for a week to teach them a lesson but nothing has or will happen and they will do it again down the track, stamp it out straight away and it wont happen again..
I agree. I don't hate melbourne for that but it doesn't help the fact that everyone resents them for it.
Also, the NRL and the media is infatuated with not only Melbourne as a club, but also it's players which doesn't help the opposition and it's fans. Cam Smith is being celebrated for breaking all these individual records off the the back of playing in an illegal assembled team for years. If Melbourne were playing by the 'rules' all those years, would they have the big 3 today? I don't think so. It can't be a coincidence that Melbourne are the only team to not have a re building period in the past 12 years bar 2010.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I was in the shire from age 14 and played for Como. Doesn't mean I like the Sharks. Can't forgive the jersey being cut up I'm afraid

Yes it wasnt the best was it....Como had some good sides didnt they..did you play against Woronora River they really had some tough buggers out there

Drakon

Juniors
No, can't recall ever playing against Woronora River. Grew up at Rockdale. Lived in the Shire ever since age 14.

Maxwell

Juniors
Never forgotten penalty try in gf and the cartwheels on the sideline. FMD I hate MELBOURNE. Not sure if i have made that clear enough. No other team gets all the refs calls like they do.
I think any team could be pretty much like Melbourne if they are allowed to put guys on the ground then roll them onto their back hold them down for a few seconds then all get off and by this time every one is back ready to tackle again. And its because they are a 1 town team, and I might add they have the director of referee's Cam Smith. But NSW teams try this and you get penalised for holding down , hands in the play, not square at marker, inside the 10, can't talk to you now, loose carry, ball went forward out of your hands even though they touched it. And anything else they can think of or make up .

Gandhi

Juniors
I think any team could be pretty much like Melbourne if they are allowed to put guys on the ground then roll them onto their back hold them down for a few seconds then all get off and by this time every one is back ready to tackle again. And its because they are a 1 town team, and I might add they have the director of referee's Cam Smith. But NSW teams try this and you get penalised for holding down , hands in the play, not square at marker, inside the 10, can't talk to you now, loose carry, ball went forward out of your hands even though they touched it. And anything else they can think of or make up .
One of the VERY best days in my long life was watching Manly beat Melbourne something like 40-0 in the GF. LOL

dragondad

First Grade
One of the VERY best days in my long life was watching Manly beat Melbourne something like 40-0 in the GF. LOL
I particularly enjoyed it because it got rid of the 1975 Grand Final 38-0 loss as a record score. Weren't we lucky there were 3 point tries then!

Gandhi

Juniors
I particularly enjoyed it because it got rid of the 1975 Grand Final 38-0 loss as a record score. Weren't we lucky there were 3 point tries then!
I feel bad saying this...but i cant help the way i feel. When I watch the Aussies playing, I still intensley dislike any Melbourne players playing......and almost hope we lose to NZ and England just to see Cronks, Slaters and Cameron Smiths faces. The only thng that prevents me death riding the aussies is if duges and fritz are playing in the game. How much i despise the rorting cheating storm. Scum.

SaintPauli

Juniors
No team holds a tackled player on the ground as long as Melbourne. Hope the refs see this eventually. My no. 1 hate team for following reasons;
1. Most Victorians hate league
2. They are not a leagues club with trad. Or proud history.
3. They bought the majority of their squad outside victoria.
4. League is always shunned by the Melbourne media
5. How many local talent juniors have they produced?
6. They cheated a couple of comps
Need I say more !

possm

Coach
Hey, Dragon supporters just don't mention that 1975 GF. Give yourself an uppercut.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Having lived in Melbourne, a beautiful place I might add, I can't help but think if the NRL did not treat them like such a trophy child then they would be more popular in Melbourne itself. After nearly 20 years, most which could be considered successful on the field, they have still yet to capture the attention or hearts of most Melburnians. If the NRL fostered a more 'us against them' attitutude by perhaps not treating them like untouchables then more people from Melbourne would engage as they are very parochial and love to hate anything from NSW.

I STILL HURT FROM 1999, always will.

possm

Coach
Having lived in Melbourne, a beautiful place I might add, I can't help but think if the NRL did not treat them like such a trophy child then they would be more popular in Melbourne itself. After nearly 20 years, most which could be considered successful on the field, they have still yet to capture the attention or hearts of most Melburnians. If the NRL fostered a more 'us against them' attitutude by perhaps not treating them like untouchables then more people from Melbourne would engage as they are very parochial and love to hate anything from NSW.

I STILL HURT FROM 1999, always will.
A team in Geelong Vic and another in Sunshine Coast Qld would provide more competition for players and fans. Would only be a good thing.

I feel the NRL are very narrow minded when it comes to expansion. I'd like to see a two tiered NRL competition - 12 teams at each level with promotion and relegation for two teams each year.

Initially run the second division competition with 8 new clubs for two years, then over the next two years drop the bottom two clubs of the first division to second division and from that time on drop the bottom two teams in first division to second division and promote the top two teams from second division to first division. Not so difficult and it gives 8 more areas representation in the NRL.
New franchises to be established in:
1. Second team in Brisbane
2. Sunshine Coast Qld
3. Central Qld based in Rockhampton
4. Geelong Vic
5. Adelaide
6. Perth
7. Darwin
8. Christchurch NZ

Slippery Morris

First Grade
They are the bully's of the comp and you feel teams are so far disadvantaged when they play against them. Any team that can beat them on the day is impressive because to do so they literally have to have a perfect game not to give the refs any chance to blow the whistle or let Melbourne break their line.

Gippsy

Bench
Agree with all of the sentiments and completely understand the hate.

In fact, despite AAMI being a great place to watch footy I stopped going to their games some time ago due to the fact the opposition are not given a chance to win. They are wrestled to within an inch of their life and then penalised if they try to do the same. And I also can't stand their stupid, ignorant, idiot fans.

But the most annoying thing about them is that they win the majority of their games due to two things they do which should not be part of how rugby league is played.
  1. They keep the opposition player moving in the tackle and nearly always have a third tackler come in late (often C Smith) to roll them on their back. They then peel away one by one so it appears there is always movement from the tacklers. This ensures they don't get penalised for holding the player down.
  2. Their forwards are coached to dive into the tackle and land on their knees. This way their movement has stopped, and the defence has no choice but to get off the player, or get penalised. This gives them the quick play the ball.
These two things slow down the opposition play the balls and speed up their own. They then have the players to punish the attacking side after the slow play the balls and to take advantage of tired, back peddling defences.

Bloody annoying because it is not always footy skills that wins them games and I reckon what they do is bordering on cheating. At the very least it is not in the spirit of the game. I now struggle to watch them without wanting to throw something at the TV.

ALSGI

Bench
Agree with all of the sentiments and completely understand the hate.

In fact, despite AAMI being a great place to watch footy I stopped going to their games some time ago due to the fact the opposition are not given a chance to win. They are wrestled to within an inch of their life and then penalised if they try to do the same. And I also can't stand their stupid, ignorant, idiot fans.

But the most annoying thing about them is that they win the majority of their games due to two things they do which should not be part of how rugby league is played.
  1. They keep the opposition player moving in the tackle and nearly always have a third tackler come in late (often C Smith) to roll them on their back. They then peel away one by one so it appears there is always movement from the tacklers. This ensures they don't get penalised for holding the player down.
  2. Their forwards are coached to dive into the tackle and land on their knees. This way their movement has stopped, and the defence has no choice but to get off the player, or get penalised. This gives them the quick play the ball.
These two things slow down the opposition play the balls and speed up their own. They then have the players to punish the attacking side after the slow play the balls and to take advantage of tired, back peddling defences.

Bloody annoying because it is not always footy skills that wins them games and I reckon what they do is bordering on cheating. At the very least it is not in the spirit of the game. I now struggle to watch them without wanting to throw something at the TV.
Good post, why aren't coaches countering this?

Latest posts