What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You're not the only one that's said that, so might be something in it

Watson possibly has sign off on any big ticket stuff, but still hard to see him undermining the CEO on big things like this - and if it was the case, surely Doyle would say f**k this and head off?

Yeah, this. Doyle doesn't need to work, he's a wealthy man. Why would he be Watson's puppet? I believe Watson said no to Cleary, but I don't believe he appointed Kearney. Doyle was the CEO during Kearney's time with the NZRL and I believe he overestimated his ability and gave him the job.

Doyle is a great businessman but that and being an NRL club CEO are poles apart. Again, in the boardroom at the NRL he was dynamite, but making football-based decisions that affect on-field performance wasn't his role. Scurrah was the same, he simply got made to look good by the timing of Ivan's tenure. When he f**ked Ivan he was exposed as the fraud he was by appointing Bluey, then Elliott, then McFadden, then extending McFadden after 3 games when no one was chasing him.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bet he's glad he's not the coach

Don't know lol, he is now at Bradford who last I heard were going to drop down to the 3rd division in England. He sat there for 6 months waiting for his work visa to get signed off and took them over when they were at the bottom of Div 2 after starting on -12 points

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Toovey was a regular on NRL 360 last season and he stated on there that he thought he had the job up until a day or 2 before the announcement

Wow, really? I am surprised I'd never heard that. Sounds like more upper management ineptitude.

And if Rich is right, and I have no reason to believe he's not, whoever made the decision to keep McFudd as assistant has clearly marked themselves as someone who shouldn't work in a professional sporting environment. As I've said a few times, I couldn't name one sporting team in history who has sacked a coach but kept them on as an assistant to the new guy. But it sums our club up, if you suck you might get demoted for a bit but you'll still be involved. Don't be too worried about accountability.

Big Marn

Juniors
Wow, really? I am surprised I'd never heard that. Sounds like more upper management ineptitude.

And if Rich is right, and I have no reason to believe he's not, whoever made the decision to keep McFudd as assistant has clearly marked themselves as someone who shouldn't work in a professional sporting environment. As I've said a few times, I couldn't name one sporting team in history who has sacked a coach but kept them on as an assistant to the new guy. But it sums our club up, if you suck you might get demoted for a bit but you'll still be involved. Don't be too worried about accountability.
Almost like they were telling him, "hey you are the fall guy because we cant sack 10 or so players as then we wouldnt have a team. But because its not entirely your fault, we feel a bit sorry for you so we will keep you round"

I think Knights keep Rick Stone on after hiring Bennett, when Stone still had a year to go on his contract.

Watching the Knights v the Eels tonight, do we hold out hope that SK will be vindicated next year?
No, because Knights have set players standards and dropped them if they didn't meet them no matter their status or pay packet. If Brown has made a statement he has backed it up.
If players broke ranks and spoke via media they got dropped.
They had/have a lot of young talent.
They rarely dropped their heads when getting beaten.
So a culture was being built.
I don't see that with us.
But hope to be wrong.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Watching the Knights v the Eels tonight, do we hold out hope that SK will be vindicated next year?

Nope. Totally different people. Nathan Brown is a quality coach and person. Has proven head coach credentials in a season-long comp too (albeit UK) unlike SK. He has that team busting their rings out for each other. He's also got an eye for talent, or at least someone at the club does because they've made some quality signings and brought through some good kids. He would've gone really well here.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
No, because Knights have set players standards and dropped them if they didn't meet them no matter their status or pay packet. If Brown has made a statement he has backed it up.

Yep, he dropped Nathan Ross without a second thought. And was a good enough communicator and leader that Ross battled back, and re-signed as well. That's not easy to drop a bloke like that, NRL players have egos. Look at the stupid six scenario here, it could be argued that not one of the guys dropped last year have offered a single thing since.

vvvrulz

Coach
Look at the stupid six scenario here, it could be argued that not one of the guys dropped last year have offered a single thing since.

This is one of the things that irks me the most about the Warriors management history.

The Stupid Six saga was a *golden* opportunity to actually weed out the rot and set a clear precedent on the professionalism and attitude expected at the club. We didn't have to back anything up, the whole thing was set up on a silver platter.

The evidence was immediate; we filled our team with dedicated reggies including the (then) ignored Gavet and (still) ignored Allwood and Tevaga, Jeff Robson gave us his best game by far, a visibly relieved Hoffman and Johnson applauded the guys off the field at half time. We turned around the disgraceful ANZAC 0-42 with a spirited win. World beaters? No, but at least we were bloody trying for once. I still maintained that's the most inspired I've seen us play since the Bluey saga, which is now a whopping 6 failed seasons on the trot.

So what did we learn? We dumped Robson for good, got Luke back starting, reggied the rest and recalled the very idiots that we supposedly made an example of, and then went one step further and made them immune to the chop. Then we got one of the old boys on board to steer the ship, knowing he's an epic failure of a coach, and let him continue being hell bent on more of the same.

Until we see a permanent Stupid Six action, this is us.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Serious question - I don't know who the stupid six are (except Hurrell & Manu) but can you tell me which ones are still here and which ones will still be at the club next year?

Cold Roses

Juniors
Serious question - I don't know who the stupid six are (except Hurrell & Manu) but can you tell me which ones are still here and which ones will still be at the club next year?

Hurrell
Vatuvei
Matulino
Vete
Lisone
Thompson

As to your second question. Should be obvious now. Not all were necessarily squeezed out. But at least the majority of them will be gone.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This is one of the things that irks me the most about the Warriors management history.

The Stupid Six saga was a *golden* opportunity to actually weed out the rot and set a clear precedent on the professionalism and attitude expected at the club. We didn't have to back anything up, the whole thing was set up on a silver platter.

The evidence was immediate; we filled our team with dedicated reggies including the (then) ignored Gavet and (still) ignored Allwood and Tevaga, Jeff Robson gave us his best game by far, a visibly relieved Hoffman and Johnson applauded the guys off the field at half time. We turned around the disgraceful ANZAC 0-42 with a spirited win. World beaters? No, but at least we were bloody trying for once. I still maintained that's the most inspired I've seen us play since the Bluey saga, which is now a whopping 6 failed seasons on the trot.

So what did we learn? We dumped Robson for good, got Luke back starting, reggied the rest and recalled the very idiots that we supposedly made an example of, and then went one step further and made them immune to the chop. Then we got one of the old boys on board to steer the ship, knowing he's an epic failure of a coach, and let him continue being hell bent on more of the same.

Until we see a permanent Stupid Six action, this is us.

Summed it up perfectly.

They were dropped, we showed a full-hearted effort v a side we never beat, then the same chumps came back in. I remember Tof Sipley playing a few minutes and looking raw but exciting (then he played one more game, 10 mins or so and never been seen since). Even Gubb played well around guys who were trying.

V is right, the action of a slap on the wrist for a stupid action, by senior players who should've known better and brought young guys they should be teaching better into it, was another example of setting our shit tone. McFadden pretended to be hard on it, but he was anything but. None of those six have offered f**k all since, Matulino aside perhaps - even if he has operated below his capability.