What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foot on the line and catch ball = out

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I can't believe this came up in the post match last night after the Warriors game.

This isn't a hard rule to grasp, is it?

no name

Coach
What about genius Gaz's take on it.

'I played the game for 20 odd years and have never heard of that rule.
Should have been Raiders ball'

Then called an Anasta a liar when he said he knew about the 'rule'.

Shirvo got it wrong as well, which is to be expected.

Meth

Staff member
Not sure Fusitua knew the rule- he was more lucky than clever. Would have been a Paul Carige award for sure.

nick87

Coach
If that's the rule, it needs to be changed
It's pretty bloody ridiculous that a player can play at the football, take the ball out of play and his team retain possession

Meth

Staff member
It's pretty bloody ridiculous that a player can play at the football, take the ball out of play and his team retain possession

It is the rule and it's not very ridiculous

carcharias

Immortal
Not sure if it is something that come about very often

Parra

Referee
How was this even up for discussion? It happens often enough. Players place a foot out and catch a ball deliberately often enough.

skeepe

Immortal
Its exactly the same rule that allows a player to straddle the sideline or dead ball line and touch the ball to make a kick off out on the full.

It's actually a rule everyone knows, but it seems like everyone has forgotten that it also applies in general play and not just from a restart.

no name

Coach
I wouldn't even call it a 'rule'.
It's just a fact that he was out of the field of play when he grabbed it.

Meth

Staff member
I wouldn't even call it a 'rule'.
It's just a fact that he was out of the field of play when he grabbed it.

Exactly.

If he put his foot on the touchline, he is out.

So if his foot was on the touchline before he touched the ball.....

Damochandler

Juniors
Use to be if you had your foot in touch or dead and you take the ball out or ground it. You would get the scrum or 20 tap

Azz

Juniors
Exactly.

If he put his foot on the touchline, he is out.

So if his foot was on the touchline before he touched the ball.....

But this doesn't apply in the in-goal right? Otherwise kicks into the in-goal would be out off the kicker if the fullback reached back into the field of play and touched the ball.

So why the difference?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think in hindsight it helped us

The warriors were all over us and croker being able to argue with the ref for a couple of minutes was a nice little break. They drop the ball quickly from the scrum and we score.

Danish

Referee
Was this a bouncing ball, or a ball caught on the full? I missed the game.

The rule only applies when caught on the full. If it had touched the ground, then the player standing out took it dead and his team would not retain the ball

Meth

Staff member
But this doesn't apply in the in-goal right? Otherwise kicks into the in-goal would be out off the kicker if the fullback reached back into the field of play and touched the ball.

So why the difference?

My immediate thought would be that there are quite a few differences the in-goal and the field of play.

skeepe

Immortal
Was this a bouncing ball, or a ball caught on the full? I missed the game.

The rule only applies when caught on the full. If it had touched the ground, then the player standing out took it dead and his team would not retain the ball

No. You are wrong.

Danish

Referee
No. You are wrong.

Please point me to the section of the rule book that deems player receiving a kick while standing with a foot out or dead is able to make a bouncing ball dead or in touch and his team recovers the ball. They did used to have a rule allowing a player standing out to make a moving/rolling ball dead back in 1998, but this was dropped after a couple years as it was too difficult to rule on.

This is the rule in the ball going into touch:

The ball is in touch when it or a player in contact with it touches the touch line or the ground beyond the touch line or any object on or outside the touch line except when a player, tackled in the field of play, steps into touch as he regains his feet in which case he shall play-the-ball in the field of play.

Last edited:

Latest posts