What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Football violence/hooliganism thread

langpark

First Grade
I know it's a bit late, but just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the Rio Ferdinand coin incident...

Personally, I think it was deserved, for mocking the City fans, I know in other countries, that's the least that would have happened to him. BUT, that said, full credit to him for not milking it (at all) and for being such a good sport about it all (on twitter) afterwards...

As for the 4ft tall fan who ran on to try and confront him, he's lucky Joe Hart was there to stop him! haha....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
no excuse for throwing coins, fans have plenty of opportunity to give it to the players verbally

Jason Maher

Immortal
I know it's a bit late, but just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the Rio Ferdinand coin incident...

Personally, I think it was deserved, for mocking the City fans, I know in other countries, that's the least that would have happened to him. BUT, that said, full credit to him for not milking it (at all) and for being such a good sport about it all (on twitter) afterwards...

As for the 4ft tall fan who ran on to try and confront him, he's lucky Joe Hart was there to stop him! haha....

I'm sure that's the line you'd take if an opposition player was hit by a coin after taunting United fans at OT... :roll:

langpark

First Grade
I'm sure that's the line you'd take if an opposition player was hit by a coin after taunting United fans at OT... :roll:

Man U, Man City, Tottenham, they're all the same to me. I don't like or dislike any one more than the other. Only team I care about is Everton....

WireMan

Bench
I'm suprised you didn't mention Egypt.

Every other thing mentioned in this thread is just a girls guides convention in comparison.

Big Sam

First Grade
Not related at all to hooliganism/violence but I didn't really want to start another thread:

I went to QPR/Norwich on Saturday before leaving Europe and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing so many F-words and C-words from the crowd, particularly in this PC world of ours.

Was also nice to experience a genuine English football atmosphere at a reasonable price given how all the top clubs have sold out to the corporates and bandwagon supporters.

WireMan

Bench
Not related at all to hooliganism/violence but I didn't really want to start another thread:

I went to QPR/Norwich on Saturday before leaving Europe and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing so many F-words and C-words from the crowd, particularly in this PC world of ours.

Was also nice to experience a genuine English football atmosphere at a reasonable price given how all the top clubs have sold out to the corporates and bandwagon supporters.

QPR is hardly noted for its "genuine" atmosphere. All clubs have supporters are like that, most places are more intimidating. The reality of watching a game live is often very different to what it seems like on telly.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Big Sam

First Grade
Tottenham Hotspur fans attacked in Lyon bar

21 February 2013 Last updated at 03:51 GMT

Tottenham Hotspur fans have been attacked in a bar in the French city of Lyon on the eve of their side's Europa League tie.

Three supporters were taken to hospital after a group of men wearing balaclavas smashed the pub's windows. Other fans were hurt by flying glass.

Lyon-based journalist Alexander Aucott said the windows were smashed with tables and chairs from another bar.

The Foreign Office later confirmed it was looking into reports of the attack.

It took place nearly 24 hours before the match, in the last-32 stage of the tournament.

Tottenham won the first-leg of the tie 2-1 at their White Hart Lane ground last Thursday.

Lit flare
Sports journalist Christian Radnedge, a Tottenham fan, was in the bar - an English-style pub called the Smoking Dog Pub - and he told BBC Radio 5 live the men gave Nazi salutes before launching the attack.

He said he did not believe the men were Lyon fans.

Among other things, a lit flare is understood to have been thrown into the bar, which was filled with up to 150 fans, landlord Dave Eales, originally from Nottinghamshire, said.

"The front of the pub, which is made up of reinforced glass, was attacked by 20 to 25 people," he said.

"They threw projectiles through the windows. There was a stand-off. They didn't get into the bar. Then it calmed down.

"[But] then they came back a second time and it all started again. There were three injured Tottenham fans taken away by ambulance.

"One of them had a head injury. I'm not sure how bad it was."

Rome attack
In November, Tottenham fans were targeted in an attack in Roma - apparently with an anti-Semitic motive - ahead of the club's match with Lazio.

"Rome was fresh in everyone's minds," said Mr Radnedge. "Everyone realised this was serious.

"They left and then we thought that was it, but five minutes later it started again.

"The intruders did not get into the bar because it was full of Spurs fans."

Police in Lyon did not provide any details of the events at the bar when contacted by the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21528416

Poor Spurs fans being attacked again for their 'Yiddish connection'. I can almost guarantee this wouldn't have come from OL fans. Theirs is probably among the more milder ultra groups in France.

langpark

First Grade
To be fair, the linesmen did a great job protecting him, considering how outnumbered they were...

And i don't think it was a gunshot, it was one of those firecrackers. It's not like british journalists to embellish is it...

langpark

First Grade
Reconciliation in Serbia. This is truly a sad day....

60208849073171765338313.jpg

Historic day for Serbian ultras scene. For first time two biggest groups (Delije Crvena Zvezda and Grobari Partizan) marched together in honour to all supporters killed in football related fights.

With them were also main people from other smaller groups (Taurunum Boys Zemun, Blue union OFK Belgrade, Red Firm Vojvodina, United Force Rad, Red Devils Radnički...).

Main message of this gathering was "STOP KILLING! Return to a healthy rivalry."