What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Show Bullies

Voice of Reason

Juniors
I am interested in other peoples thoughts regarding the stance taken by the Footy Show "experts" on the Broncos 14 man saga on last nights show.
I know this is a matter of opinion- and, I am not arguing the rights and wrongs of the Broncos losing 2 points for their 14 player episode..............BUT.......I think the NRL have placed themselves in a no win situation by discussing the issue whilst partipating in the Footy Show forum last night. If they now change their mind and drop the charge or downgrade it to a fine, there will be many people who will see this as the media bullying the NRL seriously downgrading (further) their credibility. On the other hand, if they continue and impose the 2 point penalty, there will be many who will see them as being arrogant and disregarding public media opinion. Sterling accused them of acting without commonsense. Vaughton gave Gallop a wink and told him and Cullen that he "knew" the NRL would come up with the "right decision". Since when does the Footy Show control the NRL? Does the Footy Show panel represent the overall media opinion on the matter? Whatever the outcome, I can the see the under-seige NRL taking another bad publicity hit on this matter. Any thoughts?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The Footy Show cannot win.
They get slagged for talking serious stuff.
They get slagged if they do the light hearted stuff.

The Broncos will not lose there 2 points because of due-process, nothing the boys said.
I will agree, however the panel could have handled it better, but they NRL reps clearly stated the process will be followed, and if that is the case the Broncos have a great defence in this particular matter, and the process will handle that.
Perceptions could have been handled better.

I think most here would be happy they had some serious footy talk on the footy show.

Thats a good point VOR.

I think its pretty clear cut. They had 14 players on the field and the 14th player that ran on scored a try.

You have to have some clear cut rules. Otherwise things start to break down.

Maybe next time it will be an injured problem was 20 meter behind the play when a 14th player ran on...

I think you have to remember that in the media these guys know the players, coaches and officials and their relationships with these people can clound their judgement.

For instance, Phil Gould when he talks about the need for salary cap increases. He just want Freddy to be able to play on with the Roosters, and I can undertsand that. But because he is close to those involved he forgets about the Roosters keeping Fittler...and then signing others players....and then the fact that a slary cap increase will have a big impact on the game.

Remember when all the commentators wanted the Warriors out of the comp. Now, that was nothing short of stupid and short sighted, but those commentators were seeing people they knew being forced out of the game because the NRL was looking to cut down of the number of teams it had. The Warriors were an easy target...one person asks "Why are they in an Australian competition" and that becomes the catch cry.

Macca

Coach
I think Annesley summed it up pretty clearly.

What effect did the breach (and it was clearly a breach) have on the outcome of the game?

He scored a try to level the scores at 18 all. That's a fairly significant effect if you ask me.

Does it warrant taking the two points off them, probably not, I find that penalty too harsh. I still think they would have won the game.

So what penalty fits the crime?

A fine? not going to worry the Broncos.

Suspend the player in question for not obeying the Interchange official? Better.

What they should have done was penalise Brisbane on the spot for having 14 players on the field and disallowed the try. The interchange official should have been straight on the blower to the Video Ref and play should have been halted and Wests awarded with a penalty.

melon....

Coach
LOL @ the Footy Show. Annesley and Gallop should have told that egoptistical worm with little man syndrome "Chuppa Chup Sterling to pull his f**king head in. And Vautin??!! LOL!! You were a Nigel nobody when you were on the board at Manly, and youre one now...what the f**k are you doing even opening that dumb mouth of yours.

Give em hell Annezzz!!!!! f**k the Shetlands!!

Mr Angry said:
I think most here would be happy they had some serious footy talk on the footy show.

That was my thought on the matter - great to see that rubbish like Show and Tell biggest beer bellies got ditched to actually talk about footy on the FOOTY Show.

I didn't agree with the way that Sterlo, Fatty etc handled the Broncos discussion - I would have thought they would have been better to sit in the middle and let Bruno Cullen and Graham Annesley put their cases. But overall, it was a big step up from the usual stuff they put on.

woodgers

Bench
They get slagged if they do the light hearted stuff

I didn't catch the NRL footy show last night. Good to them talking footy. I did catch the AFL Footy show and by god it is so far ahead it's not funny. They manage to talk all the issues, show all the teams with in's and out's all the while being funnier than the NRL Footy Show.

The NRL Footy show needs a clean out of personnel for one. Fatty and Sterlo don't have any more funny's to add. Chief and Matty Johns are o.k but is this going to turn into the Newcastle Footy Show? Who do you guys reckon has the ability to put in RELEVANT wise cracks at the topic at hand whilst adding something decent to the discussion.

Next scrap the entire show and start from scratch. New segments, New panel, New show.

Who do you guys think would be good on such a panel keeping in mind the above points. I think maybe Steve Walters. He is funny, but can he add to the serious stuff. Denton would be a perfect host. He's funny and he know's his League

RainMan

Juniors
melon.... said:
And Vautin??!! LOL!! You were a Nigel nobody when you were on the board at Manly, and youre one now...what the f**k are you doing even opening that dumb mouth of yours.

Vautin is probably on close to $650-700k a year, hosting a show that consistantly rates well for ch9. He was captain in a premiership winning team, played for his state and country.

I wish I could be a nobody like that.

Fibroman

First Grade
I watched the segement on the show, and my opinion is that Gallop and Annesley did a bit bit of a back pedal in a round-about sort of way. I will not be surprised if the Broncos don't lose the two points.

I can see the NRL caving in to public opinion and going in the direction of fines for the club, and maybe a suspension to Corey Parker.

Lets be realistic, the incident wouldn't have occurred at all if Webke didn't cop a high shot in the fist place. That should have some bearing on the outcome.

Razor

Coach
Sterling accused them of acting without commonsense. Vaughton gave Gallop a wink and told him and Cullen that he "knew" the NRL would come up with the "right decision". Since when does the Footy Show control the NRL?

Channel 9 sponsor the Broncos.
News Ltd are the majority owners of the Broncos
Channel 9 are buddies with News Ltd
News Ltd control the NRL at the moment.

woodgers said:
I didn't catch the NRL footy show last night. Good to them talking footy. I did catch the AFL Footy show and by god it is so far ahead it's not funny. They manage to talk all the issues, show all the teams with in's and out's all the while being funnier than the NRL Footy Show.

Granted the AFL show does cover all the games and does talk some issues, but don't for a second think that the AFL footy show is doing great things for the game. In mine, and a lot of people outside of Melbournes opinion, it should be just shown in Victoria as it is basically the VFL show with some talk about the 6 other clubs in the comp from elsewhere.

If you like an ever inflating host with the most one eyed opinions since Hitler and a 60 year old guy hitting on chicks young enough to be his grand daughter, then tune in

Suzie

Juniors
woodgers said:
They get slagged if they do the light hearted stuff

The NRL Footy show needs a clean out of personnel for one. Fatty and Sterlo don't have any more funny's to add. Chief and Matty Johns are o.k but is this going to turn into the Newcastle Footy Show? Who do you guys reckon has the ability to put in RELEVANT wise cracks at the topic at hand whilst adding something decent to the discussion.

Next scrap the entire show and start from scratch. New segments, New panel, New show.

Who do you guys think would be good on such a panel keeping in mind the above points. I think maybe Steve Walters. He is funny, but can he add to the serious stuff. Denton would be a perfect host. He's funny and he know's his League
I think you're onto something there. ;-) I watched some of the footy show for the first time in about 6 years last night. I think the way Fatty talks down to some of the guests to the show is downright rude, and he snubs anyone who is actually amusing ... as for the biased opinions :roll:

Anyway, I like the Denton idea, he would be good. But the first thing The Footy Show needs is a big broom, to sweep out all the crap, and start fresh, IMO of course ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
i was disgusted at the media bullying happening on that show
I think Gallop needs to take a strong stance and jam it right up these clowns at that footy show, i question had the breach been against one of the non panel favourites like Melbourne, Cowboys, Raiders or Tigers where we would have even herd them whisper it

A clean out is desperate, the only one i would like to see stay would be Matty Johns, he still has some great laughs left in him, Fatty and Sterlo need to go asap and Harrigan pfft...

I recon if they want a funny thing like now Terry Hill, Matt Johns and Denton with mario hanging around would work a treat

melon....

Coach
RainMan said:
melon.... said:
And Vautin??!! LOL!! You were a Nigel nobody when you were on the board at Manly, and youre one now...what the f**k are you doing even opening that dumb mouth of yours.

Vautin is probably on close to $650-700k a year, hosting a show that consistantly rates well for ch9. He was captain in a premiership winning team, played for his state and country.

I wish I could be a nobody like that.
He's actually on $750K. Money isnt everything when youve got it. :D

melon....

Coach
Rex said:
How do you know that? I would imagine that's confidential .
It was plastered in a publication discussing the largest earners in Rugby LEague Media. I think Hadley was on top on $1mill. What a waste of money.

Rex, I dont make things up and I dont spread rumours.

PB

Bench
Mr Angry said:
They get slagged if they do the light hearted stuff.

They get slagged for talking serious because they can't. They, particularly Vaultin, have zero credability. ZERO! And if they continue to bring back nuffs like Brohman, they will never get better. And Gibbs on a sunday. He means well, but just can't put a sentence together!
They get slagged for trying to be funny, because they aren't! (Matty excluded).

They need a real host (one who doesnt still make mistakes reading cue cards after 10 years) who is into footy, is witty and has a brain. Denton is a great idea!

They need a comedian, who knows his footy (if anyone says Vince Sorenti, i will smack them around! ;-) )

A few semi regular current players and maybe sterlo can stay as an old timer with some knowledge of the game.

Thomas

First Grade
The Footy Show is an embaressment to the code. I can't believe it actually passes off as entertainment and the fact that it rates through the roof says a lot about Australian culture. When they actually start talking about footy, it gets bearable, but all of the panel members are affiliated with one club or another and its hard to actually hear some unbiased arguments.

If I want to see fat men in dresses, falling over and being idiots, I'll watch Australias Funniest Home Videos.

Latest posts