What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Show Team of the Year - your thoughts?

The Colonel

Immortal
Rhys Wesser (Panthers); Mat Sing (Cowboys), Matthew Gidley (Knights), Nigel Vagana (Bulldogs), Francis Meli (Warriors); Brad Fittler (Roosters), Craig Gower (Panthers); Luke Ricketson (Roosters), Tony Puletua (Panthers), Joe Galuvao (Panthers), Luke Bailey (Dragons), Danny Buderus (Knights), Shane Webcke (Broncos).

I think Gidley especially was the luckiest selection but Steve Price was easily the best prop left out.

Southernsaint

Staff member
If Price was going to replace anyone, it'd have to be Webke. Luke Bailey was superb all season both in rep & club games & fully deserves his position.

I'd agree that Gidley was very fortunate to be selected on the team. I thought Lyons was a more consistent centre throughout the year& played well in the Tans Tasman Test.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Razor

Coach
Gidley's been clearly the best centre this year. If Lyon was to make it, it would have to be at the expense of Vagana.

Wesser was lucky ot make it over both of the others - I'd have given it to MiniC.

The Colonel

Immortal
Gidley has played some good football however he hasn't been the best centre - Lyon, despite playing in a struggling team was consistently the better player - lining up at left centre in most rep games when he is a right side player.

Clarkieel

Juniors
Lyon is definately the better centre and it would have been at the expense of Gidley who doesnt deserve to be there!!

Tuffnell

Juniors
No Ruben Wiki hey? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It doesn't surprise me - those dickheads just plug their favourites. Wankers.

richie8u

Juniors
Razor said:
Gidley's been clearly the best centre this year. If Lyon was to make it, it would have to be at the expense of Vagana.

Wesser was lucky ot make it over both of the others - I'd have given it to MiniC.

turn it up, mister flick pass has been crap, his brother is better than him,
and wesser has had blinder of a year, but i bet that u are a selector, blind as a bat

Cupid Stunt

Hooker & centres were the only positions I didn't pick. Bias aside Lyon deserved a spot ahead of both Vagana & Gidley & if Hannay was in a top 8 team I think it may have gone his way as well.

JJ

Immortal
I think it'd be hard to pick others above the Penrith backrowers - they've been outstanding. Wiki is always outstanding too - perhaps doesn't offer as much in attack (but more in defence). One who's underrated is Daniel Abrahams. One who is hugely overrated - Willie Mason.

I think Price should have been in easily ahead of big Shane who's form has not been what it was (but, it depends on whether you're comparing him to what he was like, or what others are like).

Jamie Lyon well ahead of Gidley.

Disco

Bench
My Team

1.Rhys Wesser
2.Mat Sing
3.Jamie Lyon
4.Nigel Vagana
5.Francis Meli
6.Brad Fittler
7.Craig Gower
13.Luke Ricketson
12.Tony Puletua
11.Ruban Wiki
10.Luke Bailey
9.Craig Wing
8.Steve Price

The Colonel

Immortal
Wiki deserved a shot IMO.

However all the Canberra fans who rate O'Hara and Davico ahead of Kearns, Webcke, Price and Bailey please look outside the state you live in. They aren't bad players but don't rate quite yet in the class of these blokes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Wiki should have got 2nd Rower, no doubt about it.....
Crocker is shithouse..... i think Flannary should have got it
Webcke has done nothing this year, the same could be said for Lockyer.... Schif and Davico have been better and more consistant
Buderus has been ordinary, but a channel 9 favourite, Priddis or Wing for mine
Giddley is possible the most over rated player EVER!
Vaganna hasnt done any thing too flash.... he was alot better last year but i can handle his selection, he should have partnered Lyon or Hanney
J Monnas should have been in contention instead of Mr. Dropski's (Tahu)

all in all a terrible awards show topped off by a bunch of idiots trying to be funny..... notice no one laughed.....

Someone bring back the only awards that have some credability..... The Dally M's...............

this may sound biast........ in fact i know it will but most of those were very dodgey selections

The Colonel

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
Webcke has done nothing this year, the same could be said for Lockyer.... Schif and Davico have been better and more consistant

Davico had a good consistent year. Then again so did Joel Clinton, Paul Rauhihi, Danny Nutley, Robbie Kearns and any number of front rowers you care to mention. Awards are always controversial. We all see something different. Any number of players deserved to be mentioned with Bailey.

Choc played well this year. He has done for sometime. Wesser had a breakout year as did Billy Slater and Minichiello. He was up against some stiff competition. Lockyer did struggle but he was pretty much carrying the Broncos all year. Another position that could have gone either way.

Wing again was another position that could have gone to anyone - Utai, Sing, Donald, Meli and Monaghan all had good years. Unfortunately for Monaghan he probably needs another year or so to establish himself as a good winger. Had he "arrived" on the scene like Slater he probably would have been mentioned.

half

Coach
canberra have a great bunch of players, but there was really no room for any in this team

i thought lyon should've made the team over gidley, but i'm not that cut about it. i also thought wing should've made hooker, he's a great player and so hot. i'm not gay or anything, but damn he looks so fine. i would've also put in price over webcke

hopefully next season hindy can remain injury-free and reclaim a spot in the 2nd-row

raiders_boy

Juniors
I cannot believe Wiki did not get a spot!!!! Gulavau had a great first half of the season but has been too quiet in the last part, and Wiki always stepped up and had a blinder in the big games especially!!! and tahu and gidley should not be in there either IMO... J Monnas will be somewhere in the near future... he had a great season, but in saying that so did alot of other players... but Wiki should have been a certainty... idiots :evil:

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
:roll:

Neither have been as good as what they have been the past two years, but to say they've done nothing is ridiculous. However, I do agree that Schif has had a better season than Locky, and possibly even Davico over Webcke. Although in that case, end of year form may have given Webcke the edge. Davico was great early in the year, but in the last few months he quietened down a bit (although was still very good). Webcke was the opposite, good but not great for the first half of the season, and then ever since Origin has been absolutely outstanding.

Gidley? :? Ridiculous decision. Hannay and Lyon were lightyears ahead of him, as were Tate, Harris, Toopi, and just about every other centre in the comp. And Priddis or Wing should have got hooker of the year.

miccle

Bench
1. Wesser - Deserved it. Tough field and I don't think we can complain about anyone winning this one - as long as wesser, schif, lockyer or minichiello got it.
2. Sing - Deserved it... definately the best this year.
3. Gidley - You're freaking joking! Put hannay or lyon here, this decision is ridiculous!
4. Vagana - no complaints here - he was definately up there.
5. Meli - with Sing, definately the best. Well deserved.
6. Fittler - a toss up between him and campbell and timmo. No complaints.
7. Gower - no complaints here - it was a 50/50 with him and Orford imo
8. Webcke - Thoroughly deserved.
9. Buderus - Personally, i would've gone priddis and then wing. If bedsy hadn't been so outstanding last year he definately wouldn't have go this one.
10. Bailey - Thoroughly deserved.
11. Galuvao - Agreed
12. Puletua - Agreed
13. Ricketson - Agreed

Although I think about 15-20 other guys spread across those positions would NOT look out of place at all in the line-up, there's just not enough awards to go around. Fortunately, it's easy to make a second decent line up out of:

1. Lockyer
2. El Masri
3. Lyon
4. Hannay
5. Tahu
6. Campbell
7. Orford
8. Davico
9. Priddis
10. Price
11. Wiki
12. Fitzgibbon