What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Show Team of the Year - your thoughts?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Hey Mick, I don't know how it happened, but somehow Tahu got his name in your 2nd team. I'm sure you couldn't have meant to put him there, so there must be someone going around changing everyone's posts. ;-) Hint - Utai.

:twisted:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mad Duck said:
Raider_69 said:
Davico was great early in the year, but in the last few months he quietened down a bit (although was still very good). Webcke was the opposite, good but not great for the first half of the season, and then ever since Origin has been absolutely outstanding.

um have you lost it?
Davico has played outstanding especially the month or so... please before you make comments do your homework....... i agree lockyer is the best fullback in the world, but off form Schif had he, Minichello and at least on par with Wesser.....
Davico and O'Hara have alway been better than webcke, form wise that is...... but dont worry neither will make the Roo tour, i dont know weather it just the selectors dont like us or they have other reasons but for some reason we cant buy a rep spot, even if we had the help of the Bulldogs accountant.......

Wiki's snubbing is a disgrace, if Puletua and Galuvao have been better than wiki, ill dead set give it away, it should have been Wiki and a toss up really between those two..... i mena no disrespect for them but Wiki has played above them IMO

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If the Dally M's were given out, Lyon wouldve clearly go the centre of the year. I can understand picking Vagana, but picking a second centre and not having Lyon seems like a big joke.
I wouldve had Lyon and Hannay in the centres.

Apart from that the team looks good for me.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
um have you lost it?
Davico has played outstanding especially the month or so... please before you make comments do your homework
I admit I haven't exactly seen every Canberra game, but the ones I have seen lately it seemed to me that Davico had gone down a gear, while O'Hara had stepped up to take his place as the one making all the metres. Maybe I just caught Davico on his quieter games.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mad Duck said:
Raider_69 said:
um have you lost it?
Davico has played outstanding especially the month or so... please before you make comments do your homework
I admit I haven't exactly seen every Canberra game, but the ones I have seen lately it seemed to me that Davico had gone down a gear, while O'Hara had stepped up to take his place as the one making all the metres. Maybe I just caught Davico on his quieter games.

he has struggled for much of the year with a niggling injury, yet he still makes plenty of metres.... when 100% and he was pretty close to that mark against the warriors, he is an absolute beast......

If at the very least O'Hara dosnt make the roo tour, it will rank amongst some of weirdest excludsions i have seen take place i.e the infamous Croker 94 tour

Ron Jeremy

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
If the Dally M's were given out, Lyon wouldve clearly go the centre of the year. I can understand picking Vagana, but picking a second centre and not having Lyon seems like a big joke.
I wouldve had Lyon and Hannay in the centres.

Apart from that the team looks good for me.

I smell Harragon & M Johns :roll: :roll:

Lyon is easily the best centre in the game at the moment in a pathetic side!!

Lyon will be one of the first chosen in the ASHES squad....just like the SOO & Test against NZ!!

simon says

First Grade
I have no love for the raiders at all.....i cant stand them,but if Wiki wasnt the best 2nd rower in the comp ill do a nude handstand in the middle of the field on GF day.

I read someone say that he is a good defensive player only.....well that just knocked me out,the guy scored some awesome tries and looked dangerous every time he got the ball.

I rate the guy so highly that he could be in any all time great side,let alone the best of this year.

raiders_boy

Juniors
There you have it IMO. someone who doesnt even like the raiders has touted ruben wiki capable of being in any great side of all time, and he's not even recognised... not only arethe raiders fansup in arms, but people who dont even have a care for the raiders... thats ridiculous. pick who you wanna pick guys, but at least do it with some sort of common sense. they just pick their favourites, and in a team that didn't drop outside the top 4 all season they couldnt find room for one player at all... not even the best second rower in the world at the moment IMO.

:evil: :twisted:

Ruben Wiki... You should feel very ripped off my friend... if you have a better season than you did this year than look out competition... bad luck mate and im sure when the respectable awards come back next year, if you have had a season like you did this year, well I'd much rather get dally m second rower of the year than "footy show" second rower of the year...

OVP

Coach
Disco said:
My Team

1.Rhys Wesser
2.Mat Sing
3.Jamie Lyon
4.Nigel Vagana
5.Francis Meli
6.Brad Fittler
7.Craig Gower
13.Luke Ricketson
12.Tony Puletua
11.Ruban Wiki
10.Luke Bailey
9.Craig Wing
8.Steve Price

Thats as close as to the best players in each position you'll EVER get. Well done Disco :)

The only contentious positions are in the second row and prop... Wiki DEFINITELY deserves a spot somewhere, even prop because Bailey didnt really play many club games, and Wiki's hard-hitting defence has been one of the highlights of the year IMO. Perhaps have Wiki and Price as props, and the Panthers second rowers as the team (although Michael Crocker wouldnt be out of place there either).

Nice team tho mate :)

Anonymous

Juniors
I can't believe how overrated Joe Galuvao is, I've said it before and I'll say it again, he is one of those journeymen who have 1 great year in their career, more by good luck than good management, before they fall back to obscurity. The guy is a pretty good player but come on, he is an old Warriors reject and he didn't do a thing in the latter half of the season. He doesn't even come close to comparing to Wiki.

Also, it is so much fun just basking in the glow of Francis Meli's (inevitable) success :D

Oh and also, it seems a little hard to swallow that out of 31 nominated players from 15 teams, there was only 1 Warrior, and yet here we are in the top 4 and tipped by many to make the gf. I would have liked to see Sione Faumuina get a nomination in what was a pretty ordinary field at lock.

Anonymous

Juniors
I hardly think old man Scott Sattler's grinding efforts compare to the dazzling array of skills Sione has shown consistently throughout the season, including when we were going crap.

raiders_boy

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Oh and also, it seems a little hard to swallow that out of 31 nominated players from 15 teams, there was only 1 Warrior, and yet here we are in the top 4 and tipped by many to make the gf. I would have liked to see Sione Faumuina get a nomination in what was a pretty ordinary field at lock.

Yeah but at least u guys have a player in the team of the year. We didnt even drop out of the top four all season and we dont get one single player... I would much rather have 1 nomination and 1 player in the team, than however many nominations we had and none in the team... :evil:

greeneyed

First Grade
I can't accept that there was not ONE Raiders player that makes the team of the year. Wiki, in my view, was one of the two best second rowers, little doubt.

I also thought it strange that Schifcofske, who was in the top 3 Dally M players up to the last round, couldn't even get NOMINATED in the Footy Show awards as best fullback...... Oh, I forgot, the Footy Show has NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTY.... so they wouldn't know!

raiders_boy

Juniors
greeneyed said:
I can't accept that there was not ONE Raiders player that makes the team of the year. Wiki, in my view, was one of the two best second rowers, little doubt.

I also thought it strange that Schifcofske, who was in the top 3 Dally M players up to the last round, couldn't even get NOMINATED in the Footy Show awards as best fullback...... Oh, I forgot, the Footy Show has NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTY.... so they wouldn't know!

My sentiments also mate... i find it ridiculous. Have a look at the big league stats department if u get the chance, and youll see clinton up in the top 2 or 3 of most departments... the footy show awards are a joke and a farce... even if we won the premiership, we wouldnt have had one player in the team... we didnt drop out of the top 4 all season!!!!!!!!! not one freaking player...

raiders_boy

Juniors
and just on francis meli's selection... does anyone honestly think he would have been selected had he not scored 5 against the bulldogs? cos for me thats the only real special thing he did all year... IMO of course. interested to see what u guys think... even though i know what the warriors supporters will say... :roll: :p :roll: :p

skeepe

Immortal
Call me crazy but weren't the winners voted for by the fans? The nominations, well that's another story altogether and one I won't get into because I'll probably smash something in anger at those incompetents at Nein, but the voting from the nominations I thought was done by fans, in which case we only have ourselves and the mainstream media to blame.

It's quite simple, the players who have featured in more stories this year than others have come to public notice, and as a lot of people are inherently stupid and believe media=fact, players like the Penrith hair pair, Gidley etc would have stood out in their minds when they saw the list of players.

Now I like many of you believe Ruben Wiki should have been there, but just look at how many media stories the Panthers have had over the year, and compare that to the number the Raiders have had this year (Canberra Times excluded). Over the last month or two there has been almost a Panthers story or feature piece every single day in one of the major papers.

Factor in with that the big-name players like Buderus, Gidley etc... people will vote for names they recognise over ones they don't. Combine those two factors and I can see why the "team of the year" as they want to call it looks the way it does. That's just my theory anyway.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
all i have to say is... who cares! all of us here know the worth(lessness) of these awards. let the public believe what they want. i couldnt care less.