What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Stewbum

Juniors
Get in the Van: On the road with black flag - Henry Rollins is another great storyteller.
That's funny. I'm currently reading My Damage by Keith Morris - the original singer and co-founding member of Black Flag who went on to form the Circle Jerks and more recently has sung for Off! and Flag (Was Black Flag but the lawyers got involved.)

Dogs Of War

Coach
Oh I have a laundry list of rock books I want to read especially punk rock ones. It's finding the time. Though I am about to have a new job, which has some night shift, where it's quiet at work, and I will use that time to read books. Beats being oncall permanently. The new job has no oncall, just long hours. 4on 4 off. Which means I will have heaps of time to relax. And cause I will be in Vic where the weather sucks a bit, I see a few books being demolished on rainy days.

Then its just about finding a good library. I don't mind buying books either. Just books take up heaps of space, and I never found using a kindle as much fun.

Stewbum

Juniors
Oh I have a laundry list of rock books I want to read especially punk rock ones. It's finding the time. Though I am about to have a new job, which has some night shift, where it's quiet at work, and I will use that time to read books. Just about finding a good library. I don't mind buying books either. Just books take up heaps of space, and I never found using a kindle as much fun.
For lovers of Screeching Weasel (and there are none greater than I in this wide brown land - I travelled to Atlanta, Georgia in 2012 to see them live) Weasels in a Box by John 'Jughead' Pierson or The Brain that wouldn't die by Ben Weasel are musts.

I've read the Dark Tower books 8 times so far, they are what turned me into such a fanboi.

Been meaning to grab Hepatitis Bathtub the NOFX biography. It's meant to be pretty full on.

Currently listening to A Song of Ice and Fire in the car on my commute from the Coast to Sydney everyday.

chigurh

Two books by Phillip Meyer. American Rust depicts a very realistic, gritty and depressing contemporary view of life in a rust belt town in the late 70's / early 80's. Also The Son - the changing social structure of a Texan rancher family as it moves from frontier era to oil wealth.

The Son was really good. I had an obsession with westerns when I was a kid, and still keep an eye out for them these days, and it's one of the better ones I've read for yonks.

Mr Bean

Juniors
I have been reading a lot of classics books lately. So far I have been enjoying them.

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
The Time Machine - HG Wells
Treasure Island & Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson

Whino

Bench
I have spent the last 6 months reading most of Jeffrey Archer's novels. A good storyteller.

Whino

Bench
Yeah I liked
Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
Shall We Tell the President?
First Among Equals
The Fourth Estate
The Eleventh Commandment,
A Prisoner of Birth
Kane & Abel

As The Crow Flies, The Prodigal Daughter and Paths of Glory are ok but I wouldn't rush to re read them.
Some of the Clifton chronicles are good but I am getting tired of the series now.

Still I like his style.

Stewbum

Juniors
Yeah, we're pretty well aligned there. Do you read Bryce Courtenay? He's a nice bridge between the likes of Archer and the mind-expanding world of the classics.

Stewbum

Juniors
I have been reading a lot of classics books lately. So far I have been enjoying them.

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas
The Time Machine - HG Wells
Treasure Island & Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson

I've read all except Kidnapped. Monte Cristo was superb but the flat spots were very tough to drag myself out of. It's always the way for me with foreign novels. You battle the lack of historic and cultural awareness which makes it doubly challenging. HG had an imagination didn't he!

Stewbum

Juniors
Has anyone out there read Robinson Crusoe?

It's a magnificent book and very easy to read for a classic.

I even ordered and read the two rarely discussed sequels that Defoe wrote when I was devouring his more prominent works. Defoe is attributed to have written hundreds of books. There is some conjecture as to whether he did, or just collected the work of others and published them as his own. Either way, we owe him dearly for the birth of the modern novel.

OVP

Coach
Has anyone out there read Robinson Crusoe?

It's a magnificent book and very easy to read for a classic.

I even ordered and read the two rarely discussed sequels that Defoe wrote when I was devouring his more prominent works. Defoe is attributed to have written hundreds of books. There is some conjecture as to whether he did, or just collected the work of others and published them as his own. Either way, we owe him dearly for the birth of the modern novel.

I had these half-sized paperback books in a set of three as a kid. They were half the size of a normal paperback, but thicker. Haha they were quite unusual. The three books in them were Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe and Kidnapped. Funnily enough, I enjoyed Kidnapped the most. Good story that one. But RC was good too ... not a great fan of Treasure Island, it sounded the best so I read it first, but was a bit disappointed.

Parra

Referee
I've reread the Count of Monte Cristo many times. Love it.

I enjoy rereading The Name of the Rose as well. Amazingly well written.

Parra

Referee
Sticking with the earlier American theme - A Painted House is my favourite Grisham by a long way and it is nothing like his other stuff. Not a courtroom or boardroom in sight.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Just found out Norm Macdonald's book has just come out, so that's on the must-read list for me.
To be honest I thought it was a running joke whenever he mentioned writing a book over the last coupla years on interviews & podcasts so was a pleasant surprise to see it was an actual thing!